Panasonic Lumix S5 II Full Frame Mirrorless Camera Body
The second generation Panasonic Lumix S5 II L-Mount Camera Body has been upgraded inside and out, with a new 24MP sensor, Hybrid Phase Detection Autofocus and impressive speeds with high image quality.
- Second generation hybrid full-frame camera for content creators, which has been upgraded inside and out
- Features a newly developed 24MP sensor with first on-sensor Hybrid Phase Detection Autofocus system from Panasonic
- Includes a brand new imaging engine developed together with Leica for blistering speed and high image quality
- Record internal 4:2:0 10-bit 6K (3:2) and 5.9K (16:9) at 30fps and 4:2:2 C4K and 4K at up to 60fps
- Capture 14+ stops in V-Log profile, harness REAL TIME LUT function, Waveform Monitor, Vectorscope and Zebra Patterns
Panasonic Lumix S5 II Full Frame Mirrorless Camera Body Summary
Upgrading to the second generation hybrid Panasonic Lumix S5 II Full Frame Mirrorless Camera Body sees a fruitful partnership with Leica, to create the most advanced photo and video camera in the Panasonic mirrorless camera range. This compact hybrid has been upgraded inside and out, starting with a newly developed 24 megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor. This features on-sensor Hybrid Phase Detection Autofocus for the first time in a Lumix body, which is paired with a jointly developed imaging engine, which delivers impressive speeds and high image quality.
Aimed at hybrid content creators, the S5 II packs a host of features to support both photo and video creation. These include high frame rate stills (9fps mechanical and 30fps electronic shutter) and HFR video capture to 180fps, and 6K internal video recording with 14+ stop dynamic range using V-Log profile. Panasonic also incorporated upgrades to useability and ergonomics, designed to streamline content creation, including the addition of a new 8-way joystick, high resolution OLED Live View Finder and free-angle TFT free-angle LCD monitor, with static touch control.
Key Panasonic Lumix S5 II Camera Features
- Newly developed 24 megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor with phase-detection points
- First ever Hybrid Phase Detection Autofocus for Panasonic with 779-area metering
- New imaging engine co-developed with Leica from the L2 technology partnership
- Internal 4:2:0 10-bit 6K (3:2) and 5.9K (16:9) at 30fps and 4:2:2 C4K and 4K at up to 60fps
- HFR (High Frame Rate) recording up to 120fps and Slow & Quick capture up to 180fps
- 14+ stop V-Log/V-Gamut and new REAL TIME LUT function
- Waveform Monitor, Vectorscope and Zebra Pattern added
- Record 48kHz/24-bit audio and high-resolution 96kHz/24-bit with external and XLR microphones
- Dual UHS-II SD card slots support Relay Recording, Backup Recording and Allocation Recording
- Up to 9fps with mechanical shutter and 30fps with electronic shutter (up to 300 images)
- 96 megapixel High Resolution Mode
- Dual Native ISO sensitivity for cleaner results
- Upgraded 5-axis image stabilisation system with new Active I.S. for smoother video recording
- Updated ergonomics with new 8-way joystick, expanded drive dial, 3.0-inch free-angle touch-control monitor and large, 3,680K-dot OLED Live View Finder
- Full-sized HDMI Type-A terminal, high-speed USB 3.2 Gen 2 and Wi-Fi 5GHz
- Improved heat dissipation without increasing body size for unlimited recording in key video modes
- Robust body made from magnesium alloy die-cast front and rear frames with a splash and dust resistant construction
Panasonic Lumix S5 II L-Mount Camera Body in More Detail
May 9th, 2023 new firmware update 2.0 is available for the Lumix S5 II
This provides RAW output over HDMI (Requires Software Upgrade Key DWW-SFU2). In addition to ProRes RAW, Blackmagic RAW is now available for the Panasonic Lumix S5 II and there is also additional support for Atomos Ninja V and Atomos Shogun Connect, on top of existing support for the Ninja V+.
Firmware updates to the external recording devices may be required in order to realise these recording modes. Live View Composite is also available (Pre-installed in the LUMIX S5IIX). All recording mode can be set as follows:
*Please refer to the ATOMOS website for the information on the corresponding firmware version of ATOMOS Ninja V+, ATOMOS Ninja V or ATOMOS Shogun CONNECT.
*Software that supports ProRes RAW is required to edit RAW video recorded with ATOMOS Ninja V+ or ATOMOS Ninja V. Apply the LUT (Look up table) available on the following customer supports site to make the same colour grading as V-Log/V-Gamut
*Please refer to the Blackmagic Design website for the information on the corresponding firmware version of the Blackmagic Video Assist 12G HDR.
*DaVinci Resolve or DaVinci Resolve Studio is required to play back and edit Blackmagic RAW data. DaVinci Resolve Studio is required to deliver projects using Blackmagic RAW data in resolutions over 3840x2160.
*All functions may not be available depending on the situation.
This could just be the perfect time to trade-in your camera and update to the enhanced Lumix S5 II.
New standards in Lumix AF performance
The L2 Technology partnership formed by LEICA and Lumix has resulted in a new imaging engine being developed, along with a new 24-megapixel sensor. The result is the Lumix S5 II (and simultaneously announced S5 II X) are the first Panasonic Lumix cameras to offer Hybrid Phase Detection Autofocus (PDAF).
The camera uses a new Phase Hybrid AF system which combines PDAF with Contrast Detect AF for fast and dependable autofocus capabilities, while providing 779-area metering and a new Pinpoint AF. This new AF system can detect target subjects in difficult conditions such as low light, or when backlit and once locked on, will continue tracking even with other moving objects in the frame. Continuous AF during zooming1 and AF micro adjustment are also available.
1 Conventional zoom lenses require firmware update to use Continuous AF during zooming.
Advanced video options
The S5 II new engine presents a range of video recording capabilities, including internal:
- 6K 4:2:0 10-bit (3:2) at 30fps
- 5.9K (16:9) at 30fps
- C4K and 4K 4:2:2 at up to 60fps
A new low-profile heat management system has also been developed, which ensures unlimited recording times1 without increasing the size of the camera body. The Lumix S5 II camera body also support HFR (High Frame Rate) recording at up to 120fps and Slow & Quick capture at up to 180fps.
A range of picture profiles provide the ability to record 14+ stops of dynamic range when using V-Log/V-Gamut, as well as a new REAL TIME LUT function. This allows you to upload colour grading LUTs from an SD card which are directly applied in-camera, rather than after recording in post-production.
Features such as Waveform Monitor, Vectorscope and Zebra Pattern have also been added in response to requests from professional users, along with System Frequency (24.00Hz) and Synchro Scan, amongst other pro features.
Audio capabilities have also been enhanced, with clear and realistic 48kHz/24-bit audio, which can be recorded via the built-in mic, or an external microphone. High-resolution 96kHz/24-bit recording is also possible when using external and XLR microphones, bringing the S5 II closer in-line with audio capabilities first introduced on the GH6, simply add the Panasonic DMW-XLR1 XLR Microphone Adaptor for XLR audio capabilities.
1 When the camera is used at recommended operating temperature 0-40 degrees C. 6K and 5.9K at 30p/25p video recording stops once when continuous recording time exceeds 30 minutes if [Thermal Management] is set to [STANDARD].
2 Requires USB-LAN adapter, sold separately.
Professional photo and video performance
Thanks to a series of new and improved features the Lumix S5 II is capable of delivering truly stunning photo and video performance. Capture all the action with high-speed burst shooting at up to 9fps with mechanical shutter and 30fps when using electronic shutter, for up to 300 images.
High Resolution Mode is available for RAW and JPEG to create astounding 96-megapixel stitched shots, while Dual Native ISO sensitivity minimises noise and provides a maximum ISO of 51200 (up to 204800 when extended).
Improved image stabilisation
The Lumix S5 II also boast an upgraded 5-axis image stabilisation system to improve handheld shooting across a wide range of conditions and situations. New Active I.S. delivers highly stable video recording by optimising horizontal, vertical and rotational correction, with up to 200%2 improvement compared to conventional stabilisation. Active I.S. is especially effective in what would typically be challenging conditions for handheld shooting, such as recording while using telephoto lenses or while walking.
1 Based on the CIPA standard [Yaw/Pitch direction: focusing distance f=200mm when S-E70200 is used. Firmware must be updated to the latest version.
2 Compared with Lumix S5. Focal length 20mm, when using S-R2060.
More advanced handling for solo operation
A highly refined shooting experience allows creators to achieve excellent results with a more streamlined workflow thanks to features such as AWB Lock, MF Assist (available for both video1 and photo) and a new Live Crop function, which records video footage using the entire sensor surface enabling the user to crop 4K and FHD images afterwards.
A new easy-to-operate 8-way joystick further enhances usability as does the expanded drive dial, 3.0-inch free-angle touch-control monitor and large, 3,680K-dot OLED Live View Finder.
1 Up to 60p. Does not work in Variable Frame Rate mode.
Class-leading reliability and connectivity
The camera is built to robust standards for demanding use in the field, with magnesium alloy die-cast front and rear frames plus a splash and dust resistant1 construction.
Connectivity has been improved over the previous model, with the LUMIX S5II featuring a full-size HDMI Type A terminal, high-speed USB 3.2 Gen 2 and a cable lock holder to prevent unwanted unplugging. Wireless connectivity has been improved too, adding Wi-Fi 5GHz2 to 2.4GHz, which provides a fast, stable connection with smartphones and tablets. Dual card slots (both UHS-II) support Relay Recording, Backup Recording and Allocation Recording and the 2200mAh high-capacity battery can be recharged via AC or USB.
1 Dust and Splash Resistant does not guarantee that damage will not occur if this lens is subjected to direct contact with dust and water.
Huge range of hybrid accessories
Discover a wide range of Panasonic camera accessories to extend your creative potential, and if you’ve upgraded from the first generation body you can continue using the same batteries, grip, memory cards and other accessories.
- Panasonic DMW-MS2E Stereo Microphone as well as third party mics including the Rode VideoMicro II
- The camera is compatible with UHS-I/UHS-II UHS Speed Class 3 standard SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards and UHS-II Video Speed Class 90 standard SDXC Memory Cards.
- Add a spare Panasonic BLK22E Rechargeable Battery (same as S5), which also fits the compatible Panasonic BGS5E Battery Grip
Extensive L-Mount lens range
Along with a diverse range of accessories, users can enjoy building an extensive collection of L mount lenses from Panasonic, Leica, Sigma and third party manufactures such as Laowa. Options include the Lumix S 14-28mm f/4-5.6 Macro Lens, which launched at the same time as the camera and numerous other focal lengths, suitable for stills and video.
Regular firmware updates to enhance functionality
Panasonic is well known for enhancing camera performance through regular firmware updates and have already announced a pending update, which will add new functions including RAW data output and Live View Composite.
Alongside this standard camera, Panasonic has released lens kits and a video-centric X matte black body, which you can learn more about in our Panasonic Lumix S5 II and S5 II X Review. Options include:
- Lumix S5 II Full Camera Body Only
- Lumix S5 II Camera with Lumix S 20-60mm Lens Kit
- Lumix S5 II with 20-60mm and 50mm Twin Lens Kit
- Lumix S5 II X Black Camera Body Only
- Lumix S5 II X Black with Lumix S 20-60mm Lens Kit
- Lumix S5 II X with 20-60
Panasonic Lumix S5 II Sample photos
Fairground with Panasonic Lumix 70-200mm F4.0 IS S Pro L-Mount Lens @200mm. Camera settings: 1/400 sec. f/4.0. ISO 800
Landscape with Panasonic Lumix 24-105mm F4.0 Macro S L-Mount Lens @68mm. Camera settings: 1/125 sec. f/5.6. ISO 400
Biker with Panasonic Lumix S Pro 24-70mm F2.8 Lens @43mm. Camera settings: 1/800 sec. f/8. ISO 250
Portrait (no lens data) @85mm. Camera settings: 1/20 sec. f/1.8. ISO 100
What’s in the box
- Panasonic Lumix S5 II Full Frame L-Mount Mirrorless Camera Body
- Body Cap
- Hot Shoe Cover
- Cover for the Battery Grip Connector
- Shoulder Strap
- Battery Pack
- AC Adaptor
- USB Connection Cable (A-C)
|Offers: Price Drop|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Model: Panasonic Lumix S5 II|
|AE Bracketing: N/A|
|Autofocus Modes: N/A|
|Articulated Screen: N/A|
|Aperture priority: Yes|
|Built-in flash: N/A|
|Battery Life (CIPA): 370|
|Camera CIPA image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Continuous drive (fps): 9|
|Custom white balance: Yes|
|Digital zoom: N/A|
|Effective pixels (megapixels): 24|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Exposure compensation: N/A|
|External flash: Yes|
|Flash range (metres): N/A|
|Focal length (equiv.): N/A|
|Focal length multiplier: N/A|
|Flash modes: N/A|
|HDMI Port: N/A|
|Headphone port: Yes|
|Height (mm): 102|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Width (mm): 134|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Weight (inc. batteries) (g): 740|
|Image ratio w:h: N/A|
|Camera Image stabilization: N/A|
|JPEG quality levels: N/A|
|Live view: Yes|
|Camera Lens mount: N/A|
|Manual exposure mode: Yes|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic): N/A|
|Maximum ISO: N/A|
|Maximum ISO (boosted): 204800|
|Max resolution: N/A|
|Maximum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Maximum aperture: N/A|
|Manual focus: N/A|
|Microphone port: Yes|
|Camera Minimum focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum ISO: N/A|
|Minimum ISO (boosted): 50|
|Minimum macro focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Metering modes: N/A|
|Number of focus points: 779|
|Number of white balance presets: N/A|
|Optical zoom multiplier: N/A|
|Orientation sensor: Yes|
|Other resolutions: N/A|
|Remote control: N/A|
|Screen dots: N/A|
|Screen size: N/A|
|Screen type: N/A|
|Shutter priority: Yes|
|Sensor photo detectors (megapixels): 25|
|Sensor size: N/A|
|Sensor type: N/A|
|Storage types: N/A|
|Subject / scene modes: N/A|
|Timelapse recording: N/A|
|Camera Type: N/A|
|Uncompressed format: N/A|
|Camera USB: N/A|
|USB charging: Yes|
|Viewfinder coverage: N/A|
|Viewfinder magnification: N/A|
|Viewfinder resolution: 4|
|Viewfinder type: N/A|
|Video formats: N/A|
|Video Mode Categories: N/A|
|Video Modes: N/A|
|WB Bracketing: Yes|
The original S5 is no slouch, performing admirably across a range of shooting conditions, however this second generation Lumix S5 II has been released as a true thoroughbred full-frame hybrid camera. Virtually everything including the sensor and processor has been upgraded, with the headline feature being the first ever Hybrid Phase Detect AF system on any Lumix camera. The newly developed 24 megapixel sensor offers fast readout speeds, while hardwear and software has been upgraded throughout the camera body.
Experience overall improvements to useability and ergonomics with a faster workflow, thanks to additions such as a full sized HDMI connection, 5G connectivity and quicker menu navigation.
The S5 II is such a well rounded camera it takes the term hybrid to new levels, with faster stills shooting up to 30fps, more accurate AF from 779-areas, improved stabilisation and high resolution shots to satisfy even the most demanding applications.
Refined video capabilities include unlimited recording times due to a new heat dissipation system, 14+ stops of dynamic range when using V-Log profile, baked-in LUTS and monitoring with Waveform, Vectorscope and Zebra Patterns. An array of video formats can be recorded internally, up to 6K 4:2:0 10-bit and 5.9K at 30fps, C4K and 4K 4:2:2 at up to 60fps, as well as Slow & Quick capture.
Regardless of whether you own the original S5, or a completely different system, the latest S5 II camera offers highly desirable features for hybrid stills and video creators, which are sure to surpass any expectations.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order. Lenses are optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements and optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.