Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II Lens
The Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II Lens is 18% smaller, 191g lighter and offers faster AF with four XD linear focus motors while delivering ultra-high resolution results from a new G Master optical formula.
- Significant improvements over previous model arriving as the smallest and lightest G Master f/2.8 zoom ever created
- Ultra fast, precise and quiet focusing with four XD linear motors, ideal for up to 30fps burst photos and video recording
- A new optical design delivers ultra-high resolution and edge to edge sharpness which rivals the best prime lenses
- 11-bladed aperture design renders beautiful bokeh and smooth out of focus areas without onion rings
- Excellent video lens showing minimal focus breathing and significantly improved focus tracking while zooming
Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II Lens Summary
The second generation Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II Lens arrives hot on the heels of the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS Mark II, as the second G Master zoom to be updated. Not only is it significantly smaller and lighter than its 2016 predecessor, but packs four XD linear focus motors for tenacious AF performance when shooting both stills and video. High resolution, edge to edge sharpness rivals even the best prime lenses for Sony, while an 11-bladed aperture renders gorgeous rounded bokeh with smooth out of focus areas.
As one of the most versatile professional zoom lenses for full-frame Sony cameras, this is a workhorse suited to everything from portraits and landscape photography to weddings, wildlife and moviemaking. It’s these subjects which inspired the mark II design, resulting in a new standard zoom, which is 191g lighter with around 18% less mass than the previous generation. The XD linear motors are extremely effective with fast and quiet autofocus and tenacious tracking for video and stills at up to 30fps burst rates, which the flagship a1 delivers.
- The world’s smallest and lightest G Master f/2.8 standard zoom lens
- 191g lighter and around 18% more compact than previous model
- Ultra fast, precise and quiet AF with four XD (Extreme Dynamic) linear focus motors
- Significantly improved focus tracking while zooming
- Ultra-high resolution from a new G Master optical formula rivalling prime lenses
- Nano AR Coating II provides even better flare and ghosting control
- Ideal for video with reduced focus breathing and linear response MF
- 11-bladed round aperture design renders beautiful bokeh with controlled onion rings
- Minimum focus distance of 0.21m - 0.3m with 0.32x magnification
- Reliable dust and moisture sealing, Fluorine coating and new lens hood
Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II Lens (SEL2470GM2) in More Detail
Highly evolved image quality
The updated Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II Lens boasts a new G Master optical formula, which renders high resolution across the entire frame and throughout the zoom range. This is delivered by an arrangement of 20 lens elements in 15 groups, with several special lenses. These include x3 aspherical, x2 ED Glass (extra-low dispersion), x2 XA (extreme aspherical) and x2 Super ED elements. These render well controlled chromatic aberrations, distance related aberrations, coma and an internal floating focusing mechanism provides sharper results at all distances. This allows the second generation Sony 24-70mm GM II to keep up with the ultra-high resolution A7R IV and other cameras with extremely high resolution sensors.
The latest Nano AR Coating II is employed on lens surfaces for more effective flare and ghosting control, while the optical design reduces internal reflections to maintain contrast even in difficult lighting situations.
Improved close-up capability
With professional videographers, portrait, wedding and nature photographers counted amongst the many users, Sony has improved minimum focusing distances and magnification with the new model. You can now shoot as close as 21cm at the wide end and 30cm at the telephoto end with a 0.32x magnification ratio. This allows you to capture beautifully detailed shots of anything from food, nature, wedding bands and any other subjects in frame-filling close-up.
High performance autofocus
Technology has come a long way since the release of the original 24-70mm G Master and Sony upgraded the focusing system in the mark II lens with four XD (Extreme Dynamic) linear focus motors within a floating focus mechanism. This delivers incredibly fast, accurate and quiet focusing as required for both stills and video, particularly welcome in hybrid cameras like the a7 IV or video-centric a7S III. Tracking while zooming has also been significantly improved, which works seamlessly with the low weight of the lens for perfectly balanced shots when using a gimbal or stabiliser.
Enhanced video capabilities for creators
The rise in moviemaking, vlogging and other content creation requires a different set of tools, which Sony has incorporated into the FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II Lens. To begin with, focus breathing has been reduced for better focus pulls on the updated model. A Zoom smoothness switch also provides refined control with ‘smooth’ and ‘tight’ torque adjustment, ideal when switching between stills and video shooting.
For manual focusing there’s linear response MF, which enables control over the angle of rotation and how it affects focus adjustment. Users can of course program Touch focus and AF assist onto programmable buttons as required. Whichever type of focusing you use, it’s noticeably quicker and more accurate in AF, while delivering the versatility and fine MF control, which hybrid shooters in particular benefit from.
Outstanding control and durability
The G Master name has been maintained with the 24-70mm GM II through optical capabilities, professional control for streamlined workflows and excellent build quality. Dust and moisture weather sealing has been included for outdoor use, with sealed seams, silicone rubber gaskets on switches and buttons, as well as a rubber ring on the lens mount. Debris, oils and dirt are repelled by a Fluorine coating on the front element, which also offers easy maintenance when cleaning the optics.
Sony has also redesigned the petal lens hood (ALC-SH168) to accompany the updated 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II, with a lens filter slot. This makes it far easier to adjust variable ND filters and circular polarisers while the hood is attached.
Controls on the barrel include:
- Aperture ring with f-stop engravings
- Aperture click switch – switch on/off clicks and 1/3-stop adjustment
- IRIS lock switch – removes the chance of accidental aperture changes
- x2 customisable Focus hold buttons
- Focus mode switch AF/MF
- Zoom ring
- Zoom smoothness switch with two torque settings
11-Bladed circular diaphragm for beautiful bokeh
Capture smooth out of focus areas and beautiful rounded bokeh throughout the zoom range with the bright f/2.8 constant aperture found in the professional 24-70mm GM II lens. The 11-blade rounded aperture design renders smooth round bokeh balls with minimal onion rings thanks to two XA lens elements. The results are beautiful whatever your subject and can be enhanced by the close minimum focus distance resulting in even more exaggerated defocus effects.
Read our Sony 24-70mm F2.8 GM Vs Mark II Lens Review here to see how the new smaller, lighter and faster lens compares with the original.
What’s in the box
- Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II Lens for E-mount
- Front and rear lens caps
- New petal lens hood ALC-SH168
- Soft case and Case strap
Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II Lens Sample photos
Sample 1: Mounted on the Sony a1 body focal length 24mm. Camera settings: 1/200sec. f/4. ISO 500.
Sample 2: Mounted on the Sony a1 body focal length 42mm. Camera settings: 1/1000sec. f/4. ISO 100.
Sample 3: Mounted on the Sony a1 body focal length 70mm. Camera settings: 1/200sec. f/4. ISO 400.
Sample 4: Mounted on the Sony a1 body focal length 70mm. Camera settings: 1/200sec. f/4. ISO 500.
|Offers: Bundle Offer|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 88|
|Length (mm): 120|
|Weight (g): 695|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 24 - 70 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: Yes|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 70|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): 2.8|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 24|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.21|
|Minimum aperture (number): 22|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 11|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: Five aspherical elements (two of which are high-precision extreme aspherical (XA) elements), two extra-low dispersion (ED) elements and two Super ED elements.|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: Yes|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Pro-level lenses need the latest technology to keep pace with the rise in 8K video, higher resolution imaging sensors and faster burst shooting. To this end, Sony updated the FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II Lens with the best technology at their disposal, giving users the confidence to effectively capture a vast array of subjects. The lens does this whilst losing around 18% mass and 191g of weight. This is impressive when considering there are four of the latest XD linear focusing motors and a new optical design with a floating mechanism and 20 lens elements.
These deliver comprehensive focus speed, motor noise and tracking improvements, which are entirely welcome whether you capture single-shot portraits in the studio or track fast moving action out in the field. The lens is noticeably quick to acquire focus and subsequently tracks subjects tenaciously, making the most of legendary Sony focus algorithms. The size and weight reduction and new focus mechanism alone makes for an impressive upgrade, but there’s more to benefit photographers, videographers and hybrid creators.
Further enhancements include a new improved optical formula, which delivers exceptional clarity and resolution throughout the zoom range. Close focusing and image magnification have also been improved and the updated aperture design features an 11-blade rounded diaphragm for rounder bokeh and incredibly smooth blurred backgrounds for highly desirable effects.
The latest optical coatings have been used by Sony to render even more impressive contrast and flare control, while a new lens hood design allows you to adjust filters without removing the hood. All of these improvements mark a new era of professional Sony lenses. The reviews of the mark II 70-200mm are unanimously positive and we’re certain the same will be the case for this seriously impressive Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.