Sony a7 IV Mirrorless Digital Camera Body
The Sony a7 IV Camera Body has been designed from the ground up to create the definitive hybrid full frame mirrorless and includes a new 33MP sensor, flagship Bionz XR engine, 15+ stops dynamic range and more.
- Redesigned full frame hybrid camera with the very latest Sony technology in a new body design
- Now includes Vari-angle LCD, upgraded EVF, Digital Multi Interface shoe and the latest connectivity
- Blistering speed improvements with Real-time Eye AF for Human/Animal/Bird and uninterrupted 10fps shooting
- Up to 4K/60p in Super35, full frame 7K oversampling 4K/30p and 10bit 4:2:2 with All-Intra H.265
- Updated IBIS for up to 5.5 stops compensation and new AF assist with focus breathing compensation
Sony a7 IV Mirrorless Digital Camera Body Summary
The Sony a7 IV Mirrorless Digital Camera Body has been designed from the ground up to create the definitive full frame hybrid in the mirrorless E-mount range. Sony has included a completely new 33 Megapixel full frame back illuminated CMOS sensor inside a new body design, with technology ported over from their flagship Alpha 1 and A7S III camera. The a7 IV harnesses the power from the latest Bionz XR engine and boasts a fully articulating LCD touchscreen, ideal for videographers, portrait and wedding photographers as well as vloggers and any other content creators. No aspect of this camera has been left untouched with blistering speed improvements, Autofocus and useability enhancements across the board.
- New 33 Megapixel full frame back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor
- Latest generation Bionz XR image processing engine
- Improved low light performance and noise management with native ISO 100 to 51,200 (expandable to 204,800 for stills and 102,400)
- Upgraded 5.5 stops 5-axis in-body image stabilisation system
- 10fps continuous shooting with AF/AE Tracking, now up to f/22
- Uninterrupted shooting with over 828 JPEG + RAW images
- Dual card slots with 1x CFexpress Type A and SD UHS II
- 759 AF points (94% coverage) with 30% AF-S speed improvement
- Real-time Eye AF for Human/Animal/Bird
- Fully articulating 1.03 million-dot Vari-angle LCD touchscreen and new touch menu
- New dial with Stills/Movie/Slow and Quick Motion
- Upgraded 3.69 million-dot OLED viewfinder
- Improved grip
- Better connectivity with Digital Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe, USB Type-C, 1000Base-T Ethernet, 5GHz WiFi, and HDMI Type-A
- Remote control and focusing with Imaging Edge App
Key Movie features
- 4K/60p in Super35 format with full pixel readout without binning
- Full frame 7K oversampling 4K/30p
- Full HD 120p
- 10bit 4:2:2 with All-Intra compression, XAVC-HS / H.265 at a max bitrate of 600Mbps
- S-Log3 and additional S-Cinetone with 15+ stops of dynamic range
- Top panel video record button
- Unique Sony AF assist from the FX6 Cinema Line with breathing compensation and focus map
- Live stream via USB
Sony a7 IV Mirrorless Digital Camera Body in More Detail
New 35 mm full frame (35.9 x 23.9 mm) Exmor R CMOS sensor
In the heart of the a7 IV is a new full frame sensor with approximately 33.0 megapixels. Capture outstanding detail and resolution in JPEG, HEIF and RAW in 3:2 format at up to 7008 x 4672 pixels.
Cutting edge Bionz XR image processing engine
The Sony a7 IV features a revised system architecture with enhanced processing performance from image capture through signal processing with the Bionz XR inherited from the Alpha 1 camera. Processing latency is minimised and image processing power is dramatically increased. User interface, network and file management processing is enhanced for quicker responsiveness regardless of processing load.
15+ stops of dynamic range with wide sensitivity range
The A7 IV has a native ISO range of ISO 100 to 51,200 which is expandable to 204,800 for stills and 102,400 for movies. Efficient noise reduction processing delivers higher resolution from the 33 megapixel image sensor. Resolution is complemented by high sensitivity with low noise, plus approximately 15 stops of dynamic range at lower ISO’s for smooth, natural gradations from shadows to highlights.
Image Sensor Shift mechanism with 5-axis compensation
Optimised image stabilisation algorithms combine with a high precision stabilisation unit and gyro sensors to achieve up to 5.5-stops of shutter speed advantage on the updated A7 mark IV camera. This maximises quality of higher resolution images from the camera’s 33 megapixel sensor. The body also features an Active Mode with outstanding stabilisation for handheld movie shooting.
Fast Hybrid AF With Real-time AF Tracking
AI-based Real-time Tracking automatically maintains accurate focus with a subject recognition algorithm using colour, pattern (brightness) and subject distance (depth) data to process spatial information in real time at high speed. Real-time Tracking is faster, more accurate, and more tenacious than before for Human/Animal/Bird with Right/Left Eye Select for humans and animals.
759 point full-area phase detection AF
Focus down to EV -4 using full frame 35 mm with 759 points (phase-detection AF) in a high-density focal plane phase-detection AF system covering approximately 94% of the image area for accuracy and unfailing focus.
New Real-time AF bird mode
In addition to Real-time Eye AF for humans and animals, the a7 IV employs subject recognition technology for Real-time Eye AF for birds. Select your subject bird to be tracked and the camera automatically detects and focuses on the bird’s eye whether even in flight with optimised algorithms even with erratic movement.
4K movie recording with multiple formats
Record in-camera 4K at up to 60 frames per second in super 35 mode (APS-C Crop) with smooth slow-motion imagery. The a7 IV is also capable of capturing up to 3840 x 2160 in 4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC at 24p (100 Mbps / 50 Mbps). Recording formats include XAVC S, XAVC HS, XAVC S: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 and XAVC HS: MPEG-H HEVC/H.265 for various compression options.
Full pixel readout without binning for high-res 4K
Full frame and Super 35 formats can be selected for 4K movie recording with full pixel readout in Super 35 mode (approx. APS-C 16:9), without the need for pixel binning. This makes it possible to condense approximately 2.3 times the amount of data required for 4K movies, resulting in high-resolution, high-detail 4K with minimal moiré.
The camera now includes S-Cinetone which is the same colour matrix from FX6 colour and skin tones. Based on technology acquired through development of Cinema Line cameras S-Cinetone renders natural mid-tones for healthy-looking skin colour, with soft colours and beautiful highlights.
A newly developed heat dissipating structure in the a7 IV keeps temperatures within their normal operating range, preventing overheating while maintaining compact body dimensions.
Independent stills and movie controls
Shooting settings now change according to the selected shooting mode, with a record button on the camera’s top panel, new control dial and new menu system.. This can be an advantage when you want to use different aperture, shutter speed, and other settings for shooting stills and movies.
Fast USB Type-C and 1000BASE-T connections
A USB Type-C connector supports fast SuperSpeed USB data transfer. This makes high-speed PC Remote data transfer available for smooth handling of large image files.
HEIF with excellent image quality
In addition to a range of RAW and JPEG formats, the a7 IV includes the HEIF (High Efficiency Image File) format for smooth 10-bit gradations that provide more realistic reproduction of skies and portrait subjects where subtle, natural gradation is essential. The advanced compression technology used by the HEIF format also maintains image quality that is on a par with the best JPEGs, with approximately twice the compression.
CFexpress Type A and UHS-II SD card slots
Two media slots support high speed CFexpress Type A and UHS-II SD cards. These provide higher overall capacity and faster read/write speeds. CFexpress Type A cards are ideally suited to high-speed continuous still shooting as well as high-resolution, high-bitrate movie recording. Recorded stills and movies can be saved to the memory media in numerous ways, to match a wide range of applications and needs.
Comprehensive touch control
A revised menu structure has been added which provides easier navigation and touch-responsive menu operation with more intuitive control. Even more intuitive control is provided by Touch Focus and Touch Tracking so all you have to do is touch a subject on the monitor to initiate Real-time Tracking for that subject.
High-capacity Z-series Battery
Shoot up to 610 stills per charge with this optimised camera.
You can read more and compare the new model against the previous one in our Sony a7 IV vs a7 III blog here.
What’s in the box
- Sony a7 IV Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only)
- Rechargeable Battery NP-FZ100
- AC adaptor
- Power cord
- Shoulder strap
- Body cap
- Accessory shoe cap
- Eyepiece cup
- USB-A to USB-C cable (USB 3.2)
- 160GB Type A CFexpress card - high speed, high capacity Sony Tough memory card
- 80GB Type A CFexpress card - high speed Sony Tough memory card
- Sony Z battery NP-FZ100?
- ECM-B1M Shotgun Microphone - an integrated Digital Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe mic with no cables or batteries required
- HVL-F32M Extern high power Digital Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe flashgun with no cables or batteries required
- XLR Adaptor Kit XLR-K3M - Digital audio with x2 Phantom-power capable XLR/TRS inputs
Sony a7 IV Mirrorless Digital Camera Body Sample photos
FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G Lens at 600mm. Exposure: 1/500 sec. f/6.3. ISO 10,000
FE 85mm f/1.4 GM lens. Exposure: 1/400 sec. f/2.8. ISO 100
FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM lens at 70mm. Exposure: 1/320 sec. f/9. ISO 100
FE 85mm f/1.4 GM lens. Exposure: 1/400 sec. f/2.8. ISO 100
|Trade In||Like New Offer||You Could Pay|
|Sony a7 III||£910.00||£1,489.00|
|Sony a7 II||£510.00||£1,889.00|
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Body material||Magnesium alloy|
|Max resolution||7008 x 4672|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||33 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||33 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Full frame (35.6 x 23.8 mm)|
|Color space||sRGB, Adobe RGB, BT.2020|
|Color filter array||Primary color filter|
|ISO||Auto, 80-102400 (expands to 40-409600)|
|Boosted ISO (minimum)||50|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||409600|
|White balance presets||7|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|Image stabilization notes||5-axis|
|CIPA image stabilization rating||5.5 stop(s)|
|JPEG quality levels||Extra fine, fine, normal|
|File format||JPEG (Exif v2.32), HEIF, Raw (ARW 4.0)|
|Optics & Focus|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)|
|Autofocus assist lamp||Yes|
|Number of focus points||759|
|Lens mount||Sony E|
|Focal length multiplier||1×|
|Screen / viewfinder|
|Articulated LCD||Fully articulated|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/8000 sec|
|External flash||Yes (Multi-interface shoe)|
|Flash X sync speed||1/250 sec|
|Continuous drive||10.0 fps|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±5 (3, 5 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV steps)|
|Format||MPEG-4, XAVC S, XAVC HS, XAVC S-I, H.264, H.265|
|Modes||3840 x 2160 @ 120p / 280 Mbps, XAVC HS, MP4, H.265, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 100p / 280 Mbps, XAVC HS, MP4, H.265, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 60p / 200 Mbps, XAVC HS, MP4, H.265, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 50p / 200 Mbps, XAVC HS, MP4, H.265, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 140 Mbps, XAVC HS, MP4, H.265, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 140 Mbps, XAVC HS, MP4, H.265, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 100 Mbps, XAVC HS, MP4, H.265, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 60p / 600 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 50p / 500 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 300 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 250 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 240 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 120p / 280 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 100p / 280 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 60p / 200 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 50p / 200 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 140 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 140 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 100 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 222 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|1920 x 1080 @ 50p / 185 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 111 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|1920 x 1080 @ 25p / 93 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|1920 x 1080 @ 24p / 89 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|1920 x 1080 @ 120p / 100 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|1920 x 1080 @ 100p / 100 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|1920 x 1080 @ 50p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|1920 x 1080 @ 25p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|1920 x 1080 @ 24p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|Storage types||Dual SD/CFexpress Type A slots|
|USB||USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5 GBit/sec)|
|USB charging||Yes (USB PD supported)|
|Wireless notes||802.11ac (dual band) + Bluetooth|
|Remote control||Yes (wireless or smartphone)|
|Battery description||NP-FZ100 lithium-ion battery charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||600|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||699 g (1.54 lb / 24.66 oz)|
|Dimensions||129 x 97 x 81 mm (5.08 x 3.82 x 3.19″)|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Model: Sony a7 IV|
|AE Bracketing: 5 stops|
|Autofocus Modes: Center|
|Articulated Screen: Fully articulated|
|Aperture priority: Yes|
|Battery: Battery Pack|
|Built-in flash: N/A|
|Battery Life (CIPA): 580|
|Camera CIPA image stabilization rating: 5.5 stops|
|Continuous drive (fps): 10.0|
|Custom white balance: Yes|
|Digital zoom: N/A|
|Effective pixels (megapixels): 33|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Exposure compensation: 5 stops|
|External flash: Yes|
|Flash range (metres): N/A|
|Focal length (equiv.): N/A|
|Focal length multiplier: 1.00|
|Flash modes: N/A|
|HDMI Port: Yes|
|Headphone port: Yes|
|Height (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Width (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Weight (inc. batteries) (g): 659|
|Image ratio w:h: N/A|
|Camera Image stabilization: Sensor-shift|
|ISO: Auto, 100-51200 (expands to 50-204800)|
|JPEG quality levels: Extra fine, fine, normal|
|Live view: Yes|
|Camera Lens mount: Sony E|
|Manual exposure mode: Yes|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic): N/A|
|Maximum ISO: 51200|
|Maximum ISO (boosted): 204800|
|Max resolution: N/A|
|Maximum shutter speed (seconds): 1/8000|
|Maximum aperture: N/A|
|Manual focus: Yes|
|Microphone port: Yes|
|Camera Minimum focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum ISO: 100|
|Minimum ISO (boosted): 50|
|Minimum macro focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Metering modes: Multi|
|Number of focus points: 759|
|Number of white balance presets: 7|
|Optical zoom multiplier: N/A|
|Orientation sensor: Yes|
|Other resolutions: N/A|
|Processor: Bionz XR|
|Remote control: Yes|
|Screen dots: 1036800|
|Screen size: 3"|
|Screen type: LCD|
|Shutter priority: Yes|
|Sensor photo detectors (megapixels): 0.34|
|Sensor size: Full frame|
|Sensor type: BSI-CMOS|
|Storage types: CFexpress Type A|
|Subject / scene modes: N/A|
|Timelapse recording: N/A|
|Camera Type: N/A|
|Uncompressed format: RAW|
|Camera USB: USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10 GBit/sec)|
|USB charging: Yes|
|Viewfinder coverage: N/A|
|Viewfinder magnification: 0.78|
|Viewfinder resolution: 3686400|
|Viewfinder type: Electronic|
|Video formats: MPEG-4|
|Video Mode Categories: N/A|
|Video Modes: 3840x2160 (30p), 1920 x 1080 (60p, 60i, 30p, 24p) 1280x720 (30p), 640 x 480 (30p)|
|WB Bracketing: Yes|
The updated a7 IV camera is more than a simple upgrade, with Sony creating the definitive hybrid model in their line-up, which has been completely redesigned from the ground up. Everything is significantly evolved including the sensor, processor and stabilisation unit, as well as the body design, useability and ultimately overall performance. It is incredibly capable, with a higher resolution sensor, improved movie features as well as ultra fast AF with new tracking modes. The camera now provides true hybrid capabilities with 33 megapixels, fast large buffer burst rates as well as 4K/60p movies, live streaming and faster data transfer capabilities.
Whichever type of content you like to create the a7 IV not only compares with Sony’s flagship cameras (without a comparable price tag), but is capable of achieving everything you need it to. This opens up creative opportunities for newcomers as well as seasoned Sony professionals to add an extraordinary camera body to their arsenal and make content for any type of use, whether that be for paying clients or a Youtube channel. There are so many new features and updated design elements we urge our customers to explore our comprehensive review videos and blogs to reinforce what a compelling option this is.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.