Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS Lens
The Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G is a versatile telephoto zoom lens with a range from 200mm to 600mm super-telephoto which delivers sharp results across the frame and is compatible with TC's.
- Very versatile focal range for a range of subjects including bird photography, wildlife and sports
- Dust and moisture resistant for use in harsher outdoor conditions
- Internal zoom keeps a consistent balance and feel to the lens without extending
- Fast auto-focus keeps up with Sony phase-detect AF systems for Eye/Face and animal eye
- Relatively lightweight and compact for a super telephoto zoom lens with this range
|Trade In||Like new offer||You could pay|
|Sony FE 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G OSS||£605||£1094|
|Sony E 70-350mm F/4.5-6.3 G OSS||£505||£1194|
|Canon 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS USM II||£1230||£469|
Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS Lens Summary
The Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G Lens is the winner of the prestigious EISA super telephoto zoom lens award 2020-2021, testament to its advanced design and capabilities. The lens offers Sony camera users the versatility of a super telephoto zoom lens while still having a built in optical stabiliser, giving more flexibility when you shoot. With an internal zoom and robust build the lens is dust and moisture resistant so it's perfect for shooting in slightly harsher outdoor conditions. AF is fast and accurate even when teleconverters are being used making full use of advanced Sony AF technologies.
- Internal zoom making it faster and more stable
- Dust / Moisture resistant for outdoor photographers
- Fast autofocus keeps up with distant subjects
- Centre weighted for a more balanced feel at longer telephoto lengths
- 5 ED glass elements and 1 aspherical element deliver high quality, sharp images
Sony has employed their Direct Drive SSM focus mechanism which delivers remarkably fast, accurate focusing. An 11-blade circular aperture allows users to render smooth out of focus areas when isolating subjects from their background, whilst the lens feels solid and well built for years of reliable service. A number of barrel controls provide control of key features including shale compensation, focus limiter AF/MF and tracking settings.
Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS Lens Full Details
Explore the world with 200-600mm zoom
Perfect for wildlife and more, this 200-600mm super-telephoto zoom can reach as far as 840mm or 1200mm with the Sony E-mount 1.4x TC and 2.0x teleconverter, with full G lens quality and AF performance. Aspherical and ED glass elements achieve superb resolution throughout the zoom range, while Sony’s Nano AR Coating cuts flare and ghosting. The bokeh is gorgeous, too.
Zoom to 600mm, or 1200 with teleconverter
Compatible with optional 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters, for a maximum focal length of 840mm or 1200mm at F13. Both teleconverters are top quality, retaining outstanding image quality and AF performance. Zoom and aperture range with the 1.4x teleconverter is 280-840mm, F8-9. With the 2.0x teleconverter the ranges are 400-1200mm, F11-13.
High resolution throughout the zoom range
Five ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements and one aspherical element in a new optical design offer superb resolution and image quality throughout the zoom range. The aspherical element suppresses spherical aberration and distortion, while the ED glass elements minimise chromatic aberration that can be a problem at super-telephoto focal lengths.
Fast, precise AF keeps up with swift subjects
Sony's DDSSM (Direct Drive SSM) system has the power and precision needed to drive the lens's mechanism for remarkably fast, accurate focusing. High positioning accuracy means that no movement is wasted. Pinpoint autofocus is achieved with blazing speed. The DDSSM system is incredibly quiet, too.
Beautiful, natural G lens bokeh
An 11-blade circular aperture mechanism adds to the beauty of the bokeh produced by this lens, making it possible to use the narrow depth of field available at super-telephoto focal lengths to produce striking images with deep, creamy G lens bokeh.
Excellent control and reliability in the field
An inner zoom mechanism means that the length of the lens does not change while zooming, for stable handheld operation with consistent balance. Customisable focus hold buttons are provided in three locations 90° apart for easy access when shooting in any orientation. A fluorine front element coating plus a dust and moisture resistant design ensure high reliability in challenging environments.
Impeccable Sony G lens design emphasises a graceful balance between high resolution and gorgeous background bokeh that can enhance the artist’s vision.
Aspherical lens 2. ED (extra-low dispersion) glass
MTF (Modulation Transfer Function) describes how well a lens can reproduce fine details, measured as the degree of contrast achieved between finely spaced lines.
1. Contrast (%) 2. Distance from optical centre of lens (mm) 3. At 200 mm / Max. aperture 4. At 200 mm / F8 aperture 5. At 600 mm / Max. aperture 6. At 600 mm / F8 aperture 7. Spatial frequency 8. 10 line pairs / mm 9. 30 line pairs / mm 10. R: Radial values T: Tangential values
1. Zooming ring 2. Focusing ring 3. Focus hold button 4. Tripod mount 5. Tripod collar ring 6. Strap eyelet 7. Focus-mode switch 8. Focus-range limiter 9. Shake compensation switch 10. Shake compensation mode switch 11.Mounting index
What's In The Box
- Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G lens
- Hood: ALC-SH157
- Lens front cap: ALC-F95S
- Lens rear cap: ALC-R1EM
- Soft case
- Lens strap
- B+W 95mm XS-Pro Clear MRC-Nano 007 Filter - High quality filter which keeps the front element protected without affecting image quality
- Lowepro Lens Trekker 600 AW III - designed to easily transport a long super telephoto lens and some personal items
- 3 Legged Thing Alan 2.0 Monopod - stay agile and support this lens with a superb monopod
Sony 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS Lens Specifications
Telephoto Zoom Lens
Focal length range
Minimum focus distance
Angle of view field (diag. horiz. vert.) - full frame
Lens elements | groups
Approx. 111.5 x 318 mm
Approx. 2115 g
|Offer Category: Camera Lenses|
|Offer Product Type: Sony Lenses E Mount|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: N/A|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): 19595|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: N/A|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: N/A|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): N/A|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: N/A|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
At launch in 2019 the Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G lens was met with equal measures of excitement and hesitation from bird, wildlife and sports photographers. With somewhat smaller apertures users wondered if they would be able to achieve the speed of AF they needed together with smooth backgrounds and subject isolation. Two year later and this super telephoto lens has proved to be incredibly capable, picking up industry awards and countless positive reviews from those who took the plunge. Not only does AF work extremely well with cameras such as the a9, a9 II and other full frame mirrorless bodies, but the low light performance is more than capable thanks to impressive ISO levels achieved by many Sony cameras.
The 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G lens is a hit for wildlife photographers and even lends itself to telephoto portraits with great compression displayed. The focal range of 200-600mm provides excellent reach and can be used with Sony’s teleconverters for extremely distant subjects at up to 1200mm. The lens is well sealed with dust and moisture resistance, while also feeling extremely well balanced on the front of your camera, using an internal zoom mechanism so the length doesn’t change. You can read more about our impressions of this lens here: Sony 600mm and 200-600mm lenses which reinforces our opinion that if you’re in the market for an affordable super telephoto, this model is hard to beat. If you don’t quite need the 600mm reach Sony’s 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G Master lens comes in a slightly more compact size, delivers excellent sharp images and is also compatible with teleconverters.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.