Sony a7S III Mirrorless Digital Camera Body
The Sony a7S III mirrorless camera packs a new full-frame 12.1-MP back-illuminated Exmor R sensor and 8x faster BIONZ XR processor, 759 phase-detect AF points, 4K 120p in 10-bit 4:2:2 with new codecs.
- Stunning 4K video at 120p in 10-bit 4:2:2 for unlimited creative opportunities without overheating
- Class leading image quality with native ISO 80-102,400 expandable up to ISO 40 to 409,600 for ultimate low light performance
- Brand new Exmor R sensor paired with powerful BIONZ XR image processor delivering outstanding performance and speed
- More precise stills and video autofocus with 759 phase-detection AF points capturing every movement
- In Body Image Stabilisation (IBIS) of up to 5.5 stops with a new active mode for sharp videos and stills
Sony a7S III Mirrorless Digital Camera Body Summary
Some things are worth the wait and our Sony users can rejoice as the wait is over for the upgraded a7S III Digital Camera Body. The new Alpha mirrorless camera aimed at professional video makers and photographers comes five years after its’ predecessor and is brimming with upgrades across every feature. Sony has redeveloped the a7S III with the latest technologies for content creators, including a brand new full-frame back-illuminated Exmor R sensor, matched with the high performance 8x faster BIONZ XR image processor. The 12.1 megapixel body is capable of capturing 10fps in both RAW and JPG simultaneously, bursting to over 1000 images and the camera also captures the latest highly compressed 10-bit HEIF format. Dynamic range has been extended to over 15EV stops, matched by an impressive native ISO of 80-102,400 which offers flexible stills and video capabilities in any lighting conditions.
The a7S III distinguishes itself even further with video, now recording high speed 4K movies at 120p in 10-bit 4:2:2 internal, without overheating. Sony has also added new codecs which include XAVC-HS (H.265) and XAVC-S-I (All-I). These employ new colour science and S Log has Fx9 colour matching with a more natural ‘film’ look. Autofocus has also been upgraded for more precise control with 759 phase-detection AF points and enhanced Real-time Eye AF. Hand-held shooters gain up to 5.5EV stops of compensation thanks to a 5-axis Image Sensor-Shift mechanism which is particularly successful when paired with E-mount lenses developed by Sony. All of these technologies place demands on data capture which has been addressed by the inclusion of two card slots, one high speed Cfexpress and the other for SD UHS-II. The 9.44 million dot Quad-XGA OLED EVF provides an immersive viewing experience and Sony listened to users by introducing their first Vari-angle monitor for Vlogging, together with easier to navigate menu systems. Even ergonomics have been improved, with a heftier grip as well as more competent weather sealing.
Highlights specifications include:
- Beautiful 4K video at 120p in 10-bit 4:2:2 internal for unlimited creative opportunities without overheating.
- Class leading image quality with a native ISO of 80-102,400 expandable up to ISO 40 to 409,600 for the ultimate low light performance when making movies or photos.
- Increased dynamic range of 15+ stops, drawing out details even in high contrast scenes.
- Brand new 12.1-MP full frame back-illuminated Exmor R sensor paired with powerful BIONZ XR image processor for outstanding performance and speed.
- Faster and more precise video autofocus utilising hybrid AF, with 759 phase-detection AF points, 92% coverage and enhanced Real-time Eye AF.
- New XAVC-HS (H.265) and XAVC-S-I (All-I) codecs, 16 Bit RAW data output, S-Log profile
- Up to 5.5 stops of in-body image stabilisation (IBIS) with a new active mode.
- New touch capable menu system, vari-angle monitor and 9.44 million dot OLED Tru Finder
- Dual card slot compatible with high speed Cfexpress Type A/ UHS-II.
- Enhanced connectivity with 5GHZ wifi connection and full sized HDMI port
Sony a7S III in More Detail
Image sensor: 35mm full frame (35.6 x 23.8mm), Exmor R CMOS sensor with 12.1MP
Recording Formats: JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver. 2.32, MPF Baseline compliant), HEIF (MPEG-A MIAF compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 4.0 format compliant)
Image Size (pixels) [3:2]: 35mm full frame L: 4240 x 2832 (12M), M: 2768 x 1848 (5.1M), S: 2128 x 1416 (3.0M)
Picture Profiles: Yes (Off / PP1-PP10) Parameters: Black level, Gamma (Movie, Still, Cine1-4, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2, S-Log3, HLG, HLG1-3), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode, Saturation, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset
Video Recording Formats: XAVC S. XVAVC HS. XAVC S: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264. XAVC HS: MPEG-H HEVC/H.265
Audio Recording Formats: LPCM 2ch(48kHz 16bit), LPCM 2ch(48kHz 24bit)*2 , LPCM 4ch(48kHz 24bit)*2 , MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch*3
Profiles: Yes (Off / PP1-PP10) Parameters: Black level, Gamma (Movie, Still, Cine1-4, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2, S-Log3, HLG, HLG1-3), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode, Saturation, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset
Image frame rates: NTSC mode: 1fps,2fps,4fps,8fps,15fps,30fps,60fps,120fps, 240fps*4
PAL mode: 1fps,2fps,3fps,6fps,12fps,25fps,50fps,100fps, 200fps*4
60p (150Mbps / 75Mbps / 45Mbps)
50p (150Mbps / 75Mbps / 45Mbps)
60p (200Mbps / 100Mbps)
50p (200Mbps / 100Mbps)
24p (100Mbps / 50Mbps / 30Mbps)
24p (100Mbps / 50Mbps)
Media: SD memory card: SDHC memory card (UHS-I/II compliant). SDXC memory card (UHS-I/II compliant).
CFexpress Type A memory card (see below)
Focus Points: 35mm full frame: 759 points (phase-detection AF), APS-C mode with FF lens: 345 points (phase-detection AF), with APS-C lens: 285 points (phase-detection AF) / 425 points (contrast-detection AF)
Focus Sensitivity Range: EV -6 to EV 20 (ISO100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
Autofocus features: AF Track Sens. (Stills). AF Subj. Shift Sensitivity (Movie). AF Transition Speed (Movie)
Exposure Bracketing: Bracket: Cont., Bracket: Single, 3/5/9 frames selectable. (Ambient light, Flash light)
ISO sensitivity: Still images: ISO 80-102400 (ISO numbers up from ISO 40 to ISO 409600 can be set as expanded ISO range.), AUTO (ISO 80-12800, selectable lower limit and upper limit), Movies: ISO 80-102400 equivalent (ISO numbers up to ISO 409600 can be set as expanded ISO range.), AUTO (ISO 80-12800, selectable lower limit and upper limit)
Viewfinder Type: 1.6 cm (0.64 type) electronic viewfinder (Quad-XGA OLED) with 9,437,184 dots at 100% coverage.
LCD Screen: 7.5cm (3.0-type) type TFT Touch Panel with 1,440,000 dots
Adjustable Angle: Opening Angle:Approx. 176 deg., Rotation Angle:Approx. 270 deg.
Shutter Speed: Still images: 1/8000 to 30 sec, Bulb, Movies: 1/8000 to 1/4 (1/3 steps), up to 1/50 in AUTO mode (up to 1/25 in Auto slow shutter mode)
Flash Sync. Speed: 1/250 sec.
Electronic Front Curtain Shutter: Yes (ON/OFF) with silent shooting
Image Stabilisation: 5.5 stops (based on CIPA standard. Pitch/yaw shake only. With Planar T* FE 50mm F1.4 ZA lens mounted. Long exposure NR off.)
Continuous Drive Speed: Continuous shooting: Hi+: 10 fps, Hi: 8 fps, Mid: 6 fps, Lo: 3 fps
No. of recordable frames (approx.): RAW (uncompressed) & JPG: over 1000 frames
Interface: PC Interface, Mass-storage / MTP. Multi / Micro USB Terminal. SuperSpeed USB 5Gbps (USB 3.2) compatible. NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible.
Wireless LAN (Built-In): Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2.4GHz band/5GHz band
Bluetooth Standard Ver. 5.0 (2.4GHz band)
HD Output: HDMI connector (Type-A)
Battery Life: (Still Images): Approx. 510 shots (Viewfinder) / approx. 600 shots (LCD monitor) (CIPA standard)
Multi Interface Shoe: Yes (with Digital Audio Interface)
Mic Terminal: Yes (3.5 mm Stereo minijack)
Headphone Terminal: Yes (3.5 mm Stereo minijack)
Battery Life (Movie, continuous recording): Approx. 130 min. (Viewfinder) / Approx. 135 min. (LCD monitor). CIPA standard.
What else is included in the box?
- Rechargeable Battery NP-FZ100
- Battery Charger BC-QZ1
- Power cord
- Cable Protector
- Shoulder strap
- Body cap
- Accessory shoe cap
- Eyepiece cup
- USB-A to USB-C cable (USB 3.2)
- Sony Tough Series CFexpress Type A Memory Card 80GB
- Sony Tough Series CFexpress Type A Memory Card 160GB
- Sony Type A and SD Memory Card Reader
- Sony FE 50mm f/1.4 Zeiss PLANAR T* lens (provides 5.5EV stops IS)
- Sony SDXC Tough Series 64GB 300mb/s
- Sony HVL-F45RM Wireless External Flash
- Sony ECM-CG60 shotgun microphone
SONY A7S III Specifications
Full frame back-illuminated Exmor R sensor
ISO 80-102,400 expandable to ISO 40-409,600
759 phase-detection AF points
4K video at 120p in 10-bit 4:2:2
Fully articulating LCD touchscreen
Quad-XGA OLED with 9.44 million dots
Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
CFexpress Type A and SDHC (UHS-I/II compliant)
Approx. 128.9mm x 96.9mm x 80.8mm
|Offer Category: Digital Cameras|
|Offer Product Type: Compact Cameras|
|Model: Sony a7S III|
|AE Bracketing: N/A|
|Autofocus Modes: N/A|
|Articulated Screen: N/A|
|Aperture priority: N/A|
|Built-in flash: N/A|
|Battery Life (CIPA): N/A|
|Camera CIPA image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Continuous drive (fps): N/A|
|Custom white balance: N/A|
|Digital zoom: N/A|
|Effective pixels (megapixels): N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Exposure compensation: N/A|
|External flash: N/A|
|Flash range (metres): N/A|
|Focal length (equiv.): N/A|
|Focal length multiplier: N/A|
|Flash modes: N/A|
|HDMI Port: N/A|
|Headphone port: N/A|
|Height (mm): 216|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Width (mm): 686|
|Weight (g): 19595|
|Weight (inc. batteries) (g): N/A|
|Image ratio w:h: N/A|
|Camera Image stabilization: N/A|
|JPEG quality levels: N/A|
|Live view: N/A|
|Camera Lens mount: N/A|
|Manual exposure mode: N/A|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic): N/A|
|Maximum ISO: N/A|
|Maximum ISO (boosted): N/A|
|Max resolution: N/A|
|Maximum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Maximum aperture: N/A|
|Manual focus: N/A|
|Microphone port: N/A|
|Camera Minimum focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum ISO: N/A|
|Minimum ISO (boosted): N/A|
|Minimum macro focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Metering modes: N/A|
|Number of focus points: N/A|
|Number of white balance presets: N/A|
|Optical zoom multiplier: N/A|
|Orientation sensor: N/A|
|Other resolutions: N/A|
|Remote control: N/A|
|Screen dots: N/A|
|Screen size: N/A|
|Screen type: N/A|
|Shutter priority: N/A|
|Sensor photo detectors (megapixels): N/A|
|Sensor size: N/A|
|Sensor type: N/A|
|Storage types: N/A|
|Subject / scene modes: N/A|
|Timelapse recording: N/A|
|Camera Type: N/A|
|Uncompressed format: N/A|
|Camera USB: N/A|
|USB charging: N/A|
|Viewfinder coverage: N/A|
|Viewfinder magnification: N/A|
|Viewfinder resolution: N/A|
|Viewfinder type: N/A|
|Video formats: N/A|
|Video Mode Categories: N/A|
|Video Modes: N/A|
|WB Bracketing: N/A|
The Sony a7S III camera for professional videographers and photographers delivers across all fronts, being filled to the brim with the very latest technologies available. Body ergonomics have also been improved with a deeper grip, fully articulating LCD and better weather sealing. Sony has added a slew of new colour profiles, new video codecs as well as brand new sensor and processor. All together these deliver highly compelling improvements for both image and video capture, providing content creators with an all-in-one hybrid tool for making professional quality content. The extensive list of upgrades ensure a7S III users have a long list of advantages with a wide ISO range, impressive image stabilisation as well as faster data recording with the inclusion of a CF Express card slot.
Smoother video and sharper images are assisted not only through sensor shift technology, but with anti shaking IS as well as intelligent active video cropping. Sony is renowned for consistently delivering ground breaking autofocus capabilities and the a7S III delivers here once again. The camera employs 759 phase-detect AF points with 90% coverage, Eye autofocus for humans and animals as well as real time tracking for video, making it even easier to keep focus while filming. We are certain enthusiasts and professionals will fall in love with creativity all over again with the latest iteration of this professional content creators camera.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.