Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM Zoom Lens
The Sony FE 24-70mm GM is a high quality workhorse lens for E-mount mirrorless, characterised by sharp edge to edge G Master optics including a Super ED element and a bright f/2.8 constant aperture.
- Excellent build quality with solid feeling lens suited to exterior use thanks to dust and moisture sealing
- Sharp results across the frame rendered in high resolution from advanced G Master optics
- Versatile standard focal zoom lens suited to virtually any photographic subject
- Fast, quiet and precise AF system compatible with advanced Sony camera Phase focus
- Smooth round out of focus bokeh from 9-bladed round aperture
Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM G Master Standard Zoom Lens SUMMARY
The Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM lens is the mid ‘standard’ range zoom in Sony’s holy trinity of lenses, together with the 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS and 16-35mm f/2.8 GM lens. Featuring renowned G Master optical configuration with exceptionally sharp and high resolution results, the 24-70mm f/2.8 is a classic versatile zoom lens. This focal width has something to offer enthusiast and professional photographers whether they shoot portraits, landscapes, products, weddings or virtually any subject. AF is fast and quiet using Sony’s Direct Drive SSM found on many native E-mount lenses. The bright and constant f/2.8 aperture is designed with a circular 9-bladed aperture, resulting in smooth bokeh and soft out of focus areas when required.
The lens is built for professional use with a dust and moisture resistant design, Nano AR coating and quick settings adjustment via lens barrel controls.
- 3 aspherical elements including XA, ED, and Super ED
- 9-blade aperture coated with Nano AR coating
- Direct drive Super Sonic wave Motor focusing system
- Dust and moisture-resistant
- AF/MF switch and focus hold, zoom lock, and hood release buttons
Compatible cameras: Sony E-Mount (full frame and APS-C sensors)
Product features in detail
The Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM standard zoom lens incorporates some of the most advanced lens technology available and is the ideal choice for travel, portrait, and event photography, where outstanding optical performance is key.
It comprises 3 aspherical elements: the ultra-precise XA (extreme Aspherical) element that reduces aberration across the whole zoom and aperture range, and the ED (extraa-low-Dispersion) element and Super ED elements which minimise chromatic aberration and maximise resolution and bokeh, maintaining vivid but natural colour.
The FE 24-70mm has a circular 9-blade aperture which produces attractive defocus effects and has a Sony Nano AR coating which eliminates ghosting and flare, especially in backlit situations.
The G Master lens uses a direct drive SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor) focusing system that is super-efficient, due to the use of a new algorithmic set, so it is quiet and smooth and performs brilliantly for both movies and still images.
It has a compact design, which is dust and moisture-resistant and has an AF/MF switch, plus focus hold, zoom lock, and hood release buttons.
what else is included in the box?
- Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM lens
- ALC-Sh241 hood
- ALC-F82S lens front cap
- ALC-R1EM lens rear cap
- Hoya REVO SMC 82mm Circular Polariser - ideal for outdoor photography
- Hoya REVO SMC 82mm UV Filter - protects the front element and cuts down the effect of ultraviolet rays
- Lee Filters Lee100 Filter System Deluxe Kit - if you love landscape photography just add a 77mm Lee wide angle adapter and you’re all set for long exposures, CPL and more with this kit.
A new era of standard zoom performance
No-compromise design and technology result in a constant F2.8 zoom lens that can fully utilise the potential of current and future high-resolution camera bodies. This peerless standard zoom covers a 24mm to 70mm focal length range, and is an ideal choice when ultimate image quality is required for portraits, scenery, snapshots, and more.
Extraordinary resolution and bokeh
A XA (extreme aspherical) lens element with superlative surface precision not only contributes to stunning corner-to-corner resolution and detail throughout the zoom range, but also plays a vital role in achieving smooth, soft bokeh that can be a powerful expressive tool in a wide range of photographic situations.
Natural rendering and colour
One ED (Extra-low-Dispersion) and one Super ED glass element in an optical path that has been designed to the highest standards help to achieve lifelike, natural imagery without unnatural colouration by keeping axial and lateral chromatic aberration in check while maximising subjective resolution for breathtaking texture and detail.
9-blade aperture enhances bokeh beauty
The remarkable beauty of this lens’s bokeh is further enhanced by a 9-blade circular aperture design that contributes not only to smoothness, but to natural highlights as well.
Bright, fast F2.8 at any focal length
A constant F2.8 maximum aperture makes it easy to keep exposure settings constant throughout the zoom range to maintain low-light capability or action-stopping shutter speeds. Consistently spectacular image quality is ensured at any aperture or focal length
Precise focus at blazing speed
In addition to positioning large-aperture lenses with extremely high precision for spot-on focusing, the Direct Drive SSM (DDSSM) system minimises spurious motion while an advanced control system and refined algorithms enhance AF operation speed. DDSSM is also smooth and quiet, making it advantageous for movies as well as stills.
Versatile fingertip focus control
The ability to respond quickly to rapidly changing shooting situations can mean the difference between getting the shot or not. A manual/auto focus mode switch and focus hold button are positioned for easy access, providing versatile, professional control for a wide range of subjects and environments.
Outstanding clarity and contrast
Sony’s original Nano AR Coating suppresses spurious reflections that can cause flare and ghosting, particularly in backlit situations. The result is consistently high contrast and clarity with deep blacks in the widest possible range of photographic situations. (1. Nano AR Coating / 2.Glass / 3.Transmitted light)
Zoom lock improves portability
Zoom lenses can sometimes extend under their own weight during transportation, and that can be a nuisance while increasing the chance of accidental damage. A zoom lock switch provides a simple, sure way to lock the zoom mechanism for safe, convenient transportation.
Hood lock and release
A hood lock mechanism prevents accidental hood detachment when moving from location to location, while a hood release button makes it easy to remove and replace the hood whenever necessary.
High reliability in harsh conditions
Careful dust and moisture sealing measures have been implemented to ensure maximum protection and reliability in challenging environments. Shoot with confidence in light rain or windy conditions.
|Offer Category: Camera Lenses|
|Offer Product Type: Sony Lenses E Mount|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 88|
|Length (mm): 136|
|Weight (g): 886|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 24 - 70 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: Yes|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 70|
|Maximum magnification: 0.24|
|Maximum aperture (number): 2.8|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 24|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.38|
|Minimum aperture (number): 22|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 9|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: One extreme aspherical, one super ED, one ED element + Nano AR coating|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Zoom lock: Yes|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Sony has designed over 60 lenses for E-mount cameras since its inception, with a few absolute legends along the way. This FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM is one of those, providing relentless high quality results with pin sharp details even on the highest resolution cameras such as the a7R IV. The AF system is satisfyingly quick and quiet, perfect for portraits and other subjects which might be moving. The G Master optical design includes several special elements (XA lens, aspherical, Super ED and ED), which serve to deliver exceptional performance on full frame and APS-C sized cameras.
Whilst the FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS lens does have slightly longer reach, the bright aperture on this model, solid feel in the hand and pleasing results are the deciding factor for many users if choosing between the two. The versatility of this standard focal zoom cannot be understated as there are so many uses for 24-70mm which explains why it’s one of the most popular lenses for Sony system users. As a final word, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the solid feel of this lens, it is hefty without being too heavy, boasts weather sealing and will probably become one of your favourite lenses if you decide to pull the trigger.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.