Fujifilm GFX 50S II Medium Format Mirrorless Camera Body
The newly updated Fujifilm GFX 50S II Camera arrives with 51.4MP of incredible resolving power, yet weighs just 900g and is packed with low light, low noise capabilities, up to 6.5 stops IBIS and more.
- Logic defying compact and lightweight medium format camera body with incredible resolving power
- Excellent low light capabilities thanks to 6.5 stops of body-stabilisation and low noise performance
- Fast, high precision AF with Face / Eye Detection coupled with high speed X-Processor 4 image processing engine
- Superb sensor which renders high detail, sharpness with wide dynamic range and shallow depth of field
- An intuitive body design provides excellent ergonomics with easy to access controls and even a Focus Lever
Fujifilm GFX 50S II Camera Body Only Summary
Fujifilm’s medium format camera line-up has expanded with this updated Fujifilm GFX 50S II Medium Format Mirrorless Camera Body. It capitalises on the latest technologies available with the inclusion of a 51.4 megapixel sensor for incredible resolving power in a logic defying compact and lightweight camera body that weighs just around 900g. Low light and low noise capabilities are second to none, particularly as the GFX 50S II boasts up to 6.5 stops of vibration reduction, which is the highest available for Fujifilm’s medium format cameras at launch. Autofocus is fast and precise, drawing on the X-Processor 4 image processing engine together with the latest AF algorithms which support Face / Eye detection.
- 51.4 megapixel medium format 43.8mm x 32.9mm Bayer array with primary colour filter
- 5-Axis in-body stabilisation with up to 6.5 stops compensation (with the GF 63mm f2.8 R WR).
- Fast, high precision AF using the latest algorithm
- X-Processor 4 image processing engine
- Compact and lightweight body with ergonomic handling
- Accurate colour 200MP pixel shift multi shot images
- 9 Film Simulations, including Nostalgic Neg.
Photographers who need high levels of sharpness and detail will revel in each pixel’s ability to capture up to 1.7x more light than a full frame camera sensor. This brings the opportunity to shoot scenes with a wide dynamic range, excellent noise control as well as formidable low light capabilities, particularly when combined with any of the excellent Fujifilm GF lenses.
Fujifilm GFX 50S II Medium Format Mirrorless Camera Body in More Detail
Highly desirable image quality
A unique 51.4MP medium format sensor is the key to the updated GFX 50S II’s capabilities. Sharpness is increased through the use of a design that uses smaller light-collecting micro lenses on the sensor to create a wider gap between adjacent pixels, which boosts light resolution. Capture 14bit RAW (RAF original format) and 8bit / 16bit RGB (In-camera Raw Conversion Only), with images up to 8256 x 6192.
The large 43.8mm x 32.9mm sensor area captures a broader dynamic range, excellent ISO sensitivity with native ISO100~12800 (1/3 step) and control over clipping in both shadows and highlights.
Medium format sensors are renowned for their ability to render a shallow depth of field when this is desired, enhancing the image and directing the viewer’s eye where intended.
Fujifilm film simulations
Fujifilm is renowned for their accessible Film Simulations which offer photographers beautiful results straight out of camera. The GFX50S II comes with 19 Film Simulations including Nostalgic Neg. developed for the launch of the flagship GFX100S camera. Live View shows the final result in-camera so you can check that you’ve selected the appropriate Film simulation.
5-Axis In Body Stabilisation with up to 6.5 Stops
Each iteration of Fujifilm’s medium format cameras seems to come with even better IBIS and that is the case with this latest model. It features leading vibration reduction at up to 6.5 stops compensation, enabling photographers to handhold even in low light, without the need for a tripod. A high-performance gyro sensor and accelerometer can detect motion extremely accurately resulting in this level of precise image stabilisation.
Fast and high-precision AF
Contrast detect AF is quick and accurate when using the GFX 50S II due to components working together in unison. This means that the sensor, processor and IBIS unit contribute to AF effectiveness when combined with the latest autofocus algorithm. Resulting Face / Eye Detection is more accurate than the previous model, assisting with portraits as well as moving subject tracking.
Compact and lightweight body design
Despite its medium format capabilities the camera weighs just around 900g and measures 104.2mm high and 87.2mm deep. This is somewhat logic defying when considering the image quality which it’s capable of. Fujifilm has also considered useability and ergonomics throughout with the inclusion of a comfortable hand grip that offers excellent purchase even with longer lenses like the GF 250mm f/4 telephoto.
Highly rigid magnesium alloy has been used for the casing with customary thickness added around the lens mount to support heavier glass weight. A jaw dropping 60 locations around the camera body have been weather sealed, resulting in a camera which will operate in dusty and wet environments down to -10ºC.
The top panel on the GFX 50S II features a customisable mode dial which will be familiar to X Series camera users migrating to the GFX system. A movie / stills mode selector provides quick changes between mediums, while a clever flat-shaped Focus Lever reduces physical discomfort even after extended use. Key EXIF data (which is also customisable) is displayed on a highly visible 1.8-inch sub LCD monitor, which includes shutter speed, aperture, ISO sensitivity and exposure settings.
The 3.2-inch main LCD monitor provides 100% coverage and can tilt in three directions for low and difficult angle shooting, and the 0.5 inch OLED Color Viewfinder has Approx. 3.69 million dots fro clear viewing.
Accurate colour 200MP Pixel Shift Multi-Shot
If 50 megapixels isn’t quite enough, Fujifilm has included the Pixel Shift Multi-Shot function which is capable of creating 200MP images free from false colour. This offers edge to edge clarity in ultra high resolution for archive quality images. The sensor is shifted by 0.5 pixels to incrementally record 16 RAW images and combine them into a single Digital Negative (DNG) RAW file in the software Pixel Shift Combiner. False colour is eliminated as the data is captured on each pixel in red, green and blue. You can also set this feature as a 51.4MP image to remove any false colour in a lower resolution image.
MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, Linear PCM (Stereo sound 24bit / 48KHz sampling) with Long GOP compression. Full HD 1920 x 1080 up to 29.97p at 50Mbps with a recording time of Up to 120min.
- SD Card (-2GB)
- SDHC Card (-32GB)
- SDXC Card (-2TB)
- Video Speed Class V90
Read our blog post Fujifilm GFX 50S II Camera review here, with video review, more sample images and a specs comparison between the 100S and 50R.
70mm f/10 1/125 ISO100
70mm f/5.6 1/640 ISO100
70mm f/5.6 1/100 ISO640
What’s in the box
- Fujifilm GFX 50S II Camera Body
- Li-ion battery NP-W235
- AC power adapter AC-5VJ
- Plug adapter
- USB cable
- Shoulder strap
- Body cap
- Hot shoe cover
- Cable protector
- Owner's manual
- Hand Grip MHG-GFX S - This will improve the grip on the camera especially when longer lenses are mounted
- H Mount Adaptor G - Use GX 645AF lenses with this body
- Li-ion battery NP-W235 - get a spare for up to 440 shots on one charge
- Macro extension tube MCEX-18G WR - Connecting this macro extension tube to any GF lens allows macro photographs to be taken at a higher magnification ratio
- Macro extension tube MCEX-45G WR - as above
- Shoe mount flash EF-X500 - high power flash with a maximum guide number of approx. 50
- Fujifilm Wireless Commander EF-W1 - extend your creativity with a radio-controlled wireless communication system to control compatible Fujifilm flashguns.
Fujifilm has long been a pioneer in the digital medium format space and the revision of this GFX 50S II Camera Body cements them as one of the definitive options for photographers who demand the best image quality available. The camera is both compact and portable despite its high resolution sensor and you’ll be able to get sharp handheld shots where a tripod was needed before thanks to the most effective body stabilisation ever in a GFX camera. The larger sensor comes with key benefits for those pursuing image quality, including excellent ISO sensitivity, low noise capabilities and of course incredible resolving power with wide dynamic range.
The larger surface area of the sensor gathers more light than full frame counterparts and can arguably result in a shallower depth of field when this is desired. This extends benefits to a range of professional and serious enthusiasts for landscapes, fine art, fashion, portraits, weddings and yet more genres.
Ergonomics and useability are always central to Fujifilm camera designs and this trait has been developed yet further with the GFX 50S Mark II. The top panel LCD provides quick access to key shooting information, there’s a customisable mode dial, photo/video selector and deep comfortable grip. This level of attention to detail extends through to highly effective dust and moisture resistance and of course the quality of Film Simulations and included Pixel Shift Technology. If you love the idea of medium format image quality but don’t need flagship 100 megapixel detail, this is the undisputed champion for your needs. This is also available as the GFX 50S II with GF 35-70mm f/4.5-5.6 WR Lens Kit for those seeking a lightweight versatile zoom with the body from the outset.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.