Fujifilm GFX 50S II With GF 35-70mm f/4.5-5.6 WR Lens Kit
The Fujifilm GFX 50S II with GF 35-70mm kit offers 51.4MP of medium format quality with high resolving power, stabilisation and a versatile zoom lens with high precision AF for a smooth shooting experience
- Extremely portable medium format camera and lens kit weighing in at under 1300g combined
- Versatile combination with wide to standard focal range well suited even as a general purpose walk around kit
- Smooth shooting experience from intuitive controls, ergonomic design and high quality LCD monitor
- Excellent resolving power from both the lens and camera body, resulting in excellent detail throughout the frame
- Fast AF performance from the latest image processor and a lens stepping motor with Face / Eye Detection support
Fujifilm GFX 50S II With GF 35-70mm f/4.5-5.6 WR Lens Kit Summary
The Fujifilm GFX 50S II medium format camera with GF 35-70mm lens kit offers users 51.4 megapixels of high resolving power, in-body stabilisation and a versatile wide to standard zoom lens. Together the camera and lens deliver high precision AF for a smooth shooting experience with full Face / Eye Detection and Autofocus which can be attained in as little as 0.13 seconds.
The GF 35-70mm f/4.5-5.6 WR Lens is compact and lightweight, weighing just 390g while offering an equivalent focal range of 28-55mm in full frame 35mm format. The GFX 50S II is similarly lightweight at just 900g, making for a kit which lends itself to handholding and as a walk around option for all day shooting.
- Lightweight medium format camera and wide to standard zoom lens kit
- 51.4 megapixel medium format sensor (43.8mm x 32.9mm Bayer array with primary colour filter)
- 5-Axis in-body stabilisation with up to 6.5 stops with the GF 63mm f2.8 R WR mounted
- Fast, high precision AF using the latest algorithm
- X-Processor 4 image processing engine
- 200MP pixel shift multi shot images with no false colour
- 9 Film Simulations, including Nostalgic Neg.
- Compact zoom with 35mm equivalent to 28-55mm
- Retractable lens barrel which measures 73.9mm and a 62mm filter thread
Fujifilm GFX 50S II Medium Format Mirrorless Camera Body in More Detail
Highly desirable image quality
A unique 51.4MP medium format sensor is the key to the updated GFX 50S II’s capabilities. Sharpness is increased through the use of a design that uses smaller light-collecting micro lenses on the sensor to create a wider gap between adjacent pixels, which boosts light resolution.
The large sensor areas captures a broader dynamic range, excellent ISO sensitivity and excellent control over clipping in both shadows and highlights. Images can be captured in 14bit RAW (RAF original format) and 8bit / 16bit RGB (In-camera Raw Conversion Only) at up to 8256 x 6192.
Medium format sensors are renowned for their ability to render a shallow depth of field when this is desired, enhancing the image and directing the viewer’s eye where intended.
Fujifilm film simulations
Fujifilm is renowned for their accessible Film Simulations which offer photographers beautiful results straight out of camera. The GFX50S II comes with 19 Film Simulations including Nostalgic Neg. developed for the launch of the flagship GFX100S camera. Live View shows the final result in-camera so you can check that you’ve selected the appropriate Film simulation.
5-Axis In Body Stabilisation with up to 6.5 Stops
Each iteration of Fujifilm’s medium format cameras seems to come with even better IBIS and that is the case with this latest model. It features leading vibration reduction at up to 6.5 stops compensation, enabling photographers to handhold even in low light, without the need for a tripod. A high-performance gyro sensor and accelerometer can detect motion extremely accurately resulting in this level of precise image stabilisation.
Fast and high-precision AF
Contrast detect AF is quick and accurate when using the GFX 50S II due to components working together in unison. This means that the sensor, processor and IBIS unit contribute to AF effectiveness when combined with the latest autofocus algorithm. Resulting Face / Eye Detection is more accurate than the previous model, assisting with portraits as well as moving subject tracking.
Compact and lightweight body design
Despite its medium format capabilities the camera weighs just around 900g and measures 104.2mm high and 87.2mm deep. This is somewhat logic defying when considering the image quality which it’s capable of. Fujifilm has also considered useability and ergonomics throughout with the inclusion of a comfortable hand grip that offers excellent purchase even with longer lenses like the GF 250mm f/4 telephoto.
Highly rigid magnesium alloy has been used for the casing with customary thickness added around the lens mount to support heavier glass weight. A jaw dropping 60 locations around the camera body have been weather sealed, resulting in a camera which will operate in dusty and wet environments down to -10ºC.
The top panel on the GFX 50S II features a customisable mode dial which will be familiar to X Series camera users migrating to the GFX system. A movie / stills mode selector provides quick changes between mediums, while a clever flat-shaped Focus Lever reduces physical discomfort even after extended use.
Key EXIF data (which is also customisable) is displayed on a highly visible 1.8-inch sub LCD monitor, which includes shutter speed, aperture, ISO sensitivity and exposure settings.
The 3.2-inch main LCD monitor provides 100% coverage and can tilt in three directions for low and difficult angle shooting.
Accurate colour 200MP Pixel Shift Multi-Shot
If 50 megapixels isn’t quite enough, Fujifilm has included the Pixel Shift Multi-Shot function which is capable of creating 200MP images free from false colour. This offers edge to edge clarity in ultra high resolution for archive quality images. The sensor is shifted by 0.5 pixels to incrementally record 16 RAW images and combine them into a single Digital Negative (DNG) RAW file in the software Pixel Shift Combiner. False colour is eliminated as the data is captured on each pixel in red, green and blue. You can also set this feature as a 51.4MP image to remove any false colour in a lower resolution image.
Fujinon GF 35-70mm f/4.5-5.6 WR Lens in More Detail
As such a lightweight lens with wide to standard zoom range, the GF 35-70mm f/4.5-5.6 WR Lens offers ample opportunity for handholding and all-day shooting of day to day subjects. It is also capable of extremely high image-resolving performance as demanded by Fujifilm medium format cameras.
Versatile zoom range
The versatile 35-70mm focal range (28-55mm in full frame 35mm equivalent) is well suited to a range of subjects you might enjoy from landscape photography, to street and portraits.
It has the second shortest minimum working distance of just 35cm among GF lenses, enabling a close-up shot of subjects approximately 25cm from the front lens element. This means it has a broad shooting range from dynamic wide-angle compositions to standard framing with a more natural perspective.
Optimal image performance
11 elements include one aspherical element and two ED elements arranged into nine groups. This optical formula renders an advanced image-resolving capability with well-controlled spherical and chromatic aberrations throughout the focal range.
Compact and lightweight characteristics
The lens has been designed to balance optical performance with portability. Specifications are an approximate 390g weight, measuring 73.9mm (when retracted)・96.4mm (wide end) and 95.7mm (tele end) with a filter thread size of 62mm.
A stepping motor drives the lens elements resulting in fast and accurate AF performance, attaining focus on a subject instantaneously. Silent operation also lends itself to video recording when desired. Face / Eye Detection is fully supported and the GF 35-70mm can attain focus in as little as 0.13 seconds.
Effective dust and moisture sealing complements the GFX 50S II body as the lens barrel is weather-sealed at 9 locations, operating in temperatures as low as -10ºC.
MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, Linear PCM (Stereo sound 24bit / 48KHz sampling) with Long GOP compression. Full HD 1920 x 1080 up to 29.97p at 50Mbps with a recording time of Up to 120min.
- SD Card (-2GB)
- SDHC Card (-32GB)
- SDXC Card (-2TB)
- Video Speed Class V90
You can also read our blog post Fujifilm GFX 50S II Camera review here, with video review, more sample images and a specs comparison between the 100S and 50R.
70mm f/10 1/125 ISO100
70mm f/5.6 1/640 ISO100
70mm f/5.6 1/100 ISO640
What’s in the box
- Fujifilm GFX 50S II Camera Body
- Fujinon GF 35-70mm f/4.5-5.6 WR Lens
- Li-ion battery NP-W235
- AC power adapter AC-5VJ
- Plug adapter
- USB cable
- Shoulder strap
- Body cap
- Hot shoe cover
- Cable protector
- Owner's manual
- Hand Grip MHG-GFX S - This will improve the grip on the camera especially when longer lenses are mounted
- H Mount Adaptor G - Use GX 645AF lenses with this body
- Li-ion battery NP-W235 - get a spare for up to 440 shots on one charge
- Macro extension tube MCEX-18G WR - Connecting this macro extension tube to any GF lens allows macro photographs to be taken at a higher magnification ratio
- Macro extension tube MCEX-45G WR - as above
- Shoe mount flash EF-X500 - high power flash with a maximum guide number of approx. 50
- Fujifilm Wireless Commander EF-W1 - extend your creativity with a radio-controlled wireless communication system to control compatible Fujifilm flashguns.
The release of the latest Fujifilm GFX 50S II Mirrorless Camera accompanied by the versatile GF 35-70mm f/4.5-5.6 WR Lens in this kit form will be a welcome option for photographers seeking a compact, lightweight medium format system. Whilst not exactly featherweight, the pair are incredibly portable together when you weigh up the image quality which they can achieve together. The lens resolves excellent levels of detail, sharpness and handles Fujifilm colour science remarkably considering its compact size and weight. With 6.5 stops of stabilisation in the camera body, you can easily handhold this pair and gain sharp results even in low light.
The wide to standard focal range is eminently versatile, suitable for almost any situation from portraits to landscapes and where you shoot moving subjects using AF you will be pleasantly surprised at how competent they are. Face / Eye detection is fully supported even with moving subjects, which are rendered beautifully thanks to the large, light gathering capabilities of each pixel in the sensor. Low noise and a wide dynamic range extend image quality, while those shooting outdoors benefit from high levels of weather resistance in both the body and lens casing. If you’re new to Fujifilm’s GFX system this could make the perfect entry into the world of high resolution and highly desirable image results which can be reached with a lens kit of this calibre.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.