Fujifilm GFX 100S Medium Format Mirrorless Camera Body
The new Fujifilm GFX 100S medium format mirrorless camera body has been completely redesigned to be 500g lighter, is far more compact, yet still captures gorgeous 102MP images and 4K/30p movies.
- Extremely compact medium format body which is a colossal 500g lighter than the previous flagship model
- Redesigned IBIS delivers up to 6EV stops of image stabilisation for low light hand holding
- On-sensor phase detection with nearly 100% coverage harnesses the latest high speed Face / Eye AF
- Superb movie quality with 10-bit 4:2:0 F-log internal and 12-bit 4:2:2 ProRes RAW via HDMI port
- Intuitive ergonomics with a redesigned magnesium alloy casing and extensive weather sealing
Fujifilm GFX 100S Camera Body Summary
Fujifilm starts 2021 with a bang thanks to the launch of numerous new products including this, their completely redesigned flagship medium format mirrorless camera body, the GFX 100S. The redesign includes an entirely new casing, new image stabilisation system (IBIS), new shutter unit and new Film Simulation mode, Nostalgic Neg. This has enabled Fujifilm to keep everything that was impressive from the GFX 100, whilst reducing the weight by 500g. The camera body is also considerably smaller and the image stabilisation has been improved, all at an extremely competitive price tag.
Fujifilm GFX 100S Key Features
- The GFX 100S body weighs just 900g and is more compact than its fellow high resolution model
- The 102 Megapixel sensor is 1.7 times larger than full-frame sensors
- 6-stops of image stabilisation from a redesigned five-axis in-body stabilisation system
- On-sensor phase detection pixels cover almost 100% of the sensor
- AF is achieved in around 0.18 seconds down to -5.5EV
- Utilises smaller and lighter high capacity NP-W235 Li-ion battery (the same as Fujifilm’s X-T4)
- Superb movie quality with 10-bit 4:2:0 F-log internal and 12-bit 4:2:2 ProRes RAW via HDMI port
The new compact magnesium alloy body measures just 15cm x 10.4cm x 8.7cm broadening the appeal to a wide range of serious enthusiasts and professional photographers who want a smaller form factor. With 102MP and a growing range of exquisite Fujinon G mount lenses, users can pursue diverse subjects including studio, fashion, landscape, architecture, interiors as well as weddings and portraits. The ability to crop-in is endless at this resolution, which is bolstered with high quality video capabilities. Videographers are able record 4K/30p internally up to 120 minutes, or via an external monitor such as the Atomos Ninja V Recording Monitor, capturing flexible 12-bit 4:2:2 ProRes RAW footage.
Fujifilm GFX 100S in More Detail
High quality meets high speed
The camera is powered by Fujifilm’s quad-core X-Processor 4 CPU employing a 102MP back-illuminated medium format CMOS sensor, which delivers stunning image quality. The sensor is approximately 1.7 times larger than full-frame counterparts and is designed to be extra sensitive to light. This provides the shallow depth of field associated with medium format cameras along with excellent dynamic range, faithful colour reproduction and highly competent high ISO performance.
With over 86 years of experience Fujifilm’s expertise in colour science is now legendary. The GFX 100S arrives with a choice of 19 exclusive Film Simulation modes, making it is easy to achieve beautiful colour straight out of camera. The camera includes a new Film Simulation mode called Nostalgic Neg. This has been designed to be reminiscent of 1970s American New Colour Photography adding yet another creative choice for photographers.
Camera: Fujifilm GFX 100S. Lens: GF 23mm f/4 R LM WR. Focal length: 23mm. Exposure: 1/320. f/7.1 ISO 100
High Performance Low Light AF Capabilities
Fujifilm is also expert with phase detect AF and the GFX 100S incorporates on-sensor phase detection covering almost 100% of the camera’s sensor pixels. Focus can be achieved in as little as 0.18 seconds in luminance levels as low as -5.5EV. This provides a versatile AF which is even more versatile, accurate, and incredibly fast, particularly considering the medium format resolution. Focus tracking is admirable thanks to the X-Processor 4 providing Tracking AF as well as Face/ Eye autofocus functions.
The newly designed five-axis IBIS is not just smaller and lighter than the previous system, but delivers 6-stops of CIPA-rated image stabilisation, which is 0.5-stop better than the GFX100.
Camera: Fujifilm GFX 100S. Lens: GF 100-200mm f/5.6 R LM OIS WR. Focal length: 200mm. Exposure: 1/20. f/16 ISO 400
The GFX100S retains controls familiar to existing medium format users, which are entirely intuitive for newcomers to the system. These include a PASM dial with six custom programmable options, providing quick access to frequently used settings. A conveniently located switch next to the mode dial allows users to instantly change between still images and movie mode, streamlining media switching for photographers who also produce video content. The Focus Lever has been redesigned to make it even more user-friendly with fluid, quicker confirmation of focus points. The overall size and weight reduction also allows this incredibly high resolution medium format camera to be hand-held all day long if required.
Settings are easily changed with two LCD screens. A 3.2-inch LCD monitor on the rear and 1.8-inch sub LCD monitor on the top camera plate are included. These which can be customised to show key EXIF settings such as shutter speed, aperture, ISO sensitivity and exposure compensation as well as display the status of key functions or storage capacity. The 3.2-inch, touch-capable LCD display is a 2.36-million-dot monitor with 100% coverage that can be tilted in three directions (90° up, 45° down, and 60° right).
Camera: Fujifilm GFX 100S. Lens: GF 45-100mm f/4 R LM OIS WR. Focal length: 86.5mm. Exposure: 1/125. f/4 ISO 200
The GFX 100S can operate in temperatures as low as -10°C with extensive dust and moisture resistance. The magnesium alloy casing has been designed to be 1mm denser around the lens mount, which provides added support for larger G Mount lenses.
Camera: Fujifilm GFX 100S. Lens: GF 32-64mm f/4 R LM WR. Focal length: 32mm. Exposure: 2.1 SEC f/16 ISO 100
Content creators benefit from the quality of movies captured on a larger medium format sensor. Videos from larger sensors provide cinematic 4K/30p scenes with a shallower depth-of-field, impressive high ISO performance, wide tonal gradation and beautiful overall image quality. Footage can be recorded at 400Mbps in a variety of qualities from 10-bit 4:2:0 F-log internally to an SD card, to 12-bit 4:2:2 ProRes RAW through the HDMI port (Type D). The GFX100S also supports Cinema 17:9 aspect ratio straight out of camera. H.264 and H.265 codecs are also available, as are professional standards REC.2100, Hybrid Gamma Log (HLG) and F-Log, giving filmmakers more flexibility with their post-production options.
Growing range of lenses
Accompanying the launch of the compact medium format mirrorless camera in 2021 is the fastest lens ever designed for the G-mount. The GF 80mm f/1.7 R WR Lens weighs just 795g and provides photographers with a slightly wider portrait length being an equivalent 63mm in full-frame format. The range of superb optics for the GFX system is regularly expanded to offer photographers and videographers every conceivable focal width to pursue their craft, all of which are capable of rendering 100 megapixel files.
What’s in the box
- Li-ion battery NP-W235
- AC power adapter AC-5VJ
- Plug adapter
- USB cable
- Shoulder strap
- Body cap
- Hot shoe cover
- Cable protector
- Owner's manual
|Offers: Free Gift|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Model: Fujifilm GFX 100S|
|AE Bracketing: N/A|
|Autofocus Modes: N/A|
|Articulated Screen: N/A|
|Aperture priority: N/A|
|Built-in flash: N/A|
|Battery Life (CIPA): N/A|
|Camera CIPA image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Continuous drive (fps): N/A|
|Custom white balance: N/A|
|Digital zoom: N/A|
|Effective pixels (megapixels): N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Exposure compensation: N/A|
|External flash: N/A|
|Flash range (metres): N/A|
|Focal length (equiv.): N/A|
|Focal length multiplier: N/A|
|Flash modes: N/A|
|HDMI Port: N/A|
|Headphone port: N/A|
|Height (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Width (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Weight (inc. batteries) (g): N/A|
|Image ratio w:h: N/A|
|Camera Image stabilization: N/A|
|JPEG quality levels: N/A|
|Live view: N/A|
|Camera Lens mount: N/A|
|Manual exposure mode: N/A|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic): N/A|
|Maximum ISO: N/A|
|Maximum ISO (boosted): N/A|
|Max resolution: N/A|
|Maximum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Maximum aperture: N/A|
|Manual focus: N/A|
|Microphone port: N/A|
|Camera Minimum focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum ISO: N/A|
|Minimum ISO (boosted): N/A|
|Minimum macro focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Metering modes: N/A|
|Number of focus points: N/A|
|Number of white balance presets: N/A|
|Optical zoom multiplier: N/A|
|Orientation sensor: N/A|
|Other resolutions: N/A|
|Remote control: N/A|
|Screen dots: N/A|
|Screen size: N/A|
|Screen type: N/A|
|Shutter priority: N/A|
|Sensor photo detectors (megapixels): N/A|
|Sensor size: N/A|
|Sensor type: N/A|
|Storage types: N/A|
|Subject / scene modes: N/A|
|Timelapse recording: N/A|
|Camera Type: N/A|
|Uncompressed format: N/A|
|Camera USB: N/A|
|USB charging: N/A|
|Viewfinder coverage: N/A|
|Viewfinder magnification: N/A|
|Viewfinder resolution: N/A|
|Viewfinder type: N/A|
|Video formats: N/A|
|Video Mode Categories: N/A|
|Video Modes: N/A|
|WB Bracketing: N/A|
The Fujifilm GFX 100S body follows on the success of the original GFX 100 camera, which has proven popular with a wide range of users including some extremely well known Youtube photographers. The updated model becomes the forth camera in Fujifilm’s medium format line-up, with users tending to be working professionals and advanced enthusiasts who desire the incredible 102 Megapixel resolution. A tried and tested sensor measuring 43.8mm x 32.9mm gathers volumes of light and impeccable detail when combined with any of the extremely high resolving G-mount lenses. This level of detail is only currently available with medium format cameras, which are getting smaller and lighter with each iteration. The redesigned GFX 100S body doesn’t shave, but axes half a kilo off the weight of this flagship model. This alone makes for a more versatile camera, which competes with DSLR and mirrorless body sizes.
The GFX 100S feels incredibly well balanced with a comfortable grip that is easy to hand hold for extended periods. Dials provide instant access to settings along with extensive customisation. Quick switching between stills and video further adds to a number of user-friendly ergonomics making the camera ideal for various types of content creation.
Fujifilm combines their highly successful phase-detect AF with nearly 100% sensor coverage and a new IBIS unit for excellent hand holding capabilities. Subject acquisition and tracking are now possible even in low light conditions down to -5.5EV. These features will appeal to photographers who shoot moving subjects, particularly when making use of advanced Face / Eye AF functions.
An aggressive pricing strategy accompanies numerous updates to deliver extraordinarily high quality stills and videos, combined with the very latest technology Fujifilm is capable of. Medium format now makes for a seriously tempting alternative to DSLR and mirrorless full frame cameras with Fujifilm’s enviable colour science, AF focus capabilities and ultra-high resolution.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.