Sony A9 II Mirrorless Camera Body
The newly announced flagship Sony A9 II mirrorless camera body features everything we asked for including a new generation higher resolution sensor, blistering speeds and an updated phase detect focus system.
- Building on the impressive Alpha 9, the blistering speed of the A9 II makes it the perfect choice for professionals.
- An in-built 100BASE-T Ethernet terminal enabling gigabit communication for high-speed, stable data transfers.
- The new ‘Voice Memo' function that allows spoken information to be attached to images in the form of voice memos which you can replay when reviewing the images.
- Notably enhanced AF precision and performance
Sony A9 II summary
The new Alpha 9 II builds on the impressive legacy of the original Alpha 9, maintaining ground breaking speed performance including blackout-free continuous shooting at up to 20 frames per second with Auto Focus and Auto Exposure tracking, 60 times per second AF/AE calculations while incorporating even more functionality driven directly from the voice of professionals. Updates include significantly enhanced connectivity and file delivery, continuous shooting at up to 10 fps with mechanical shutter, evolved AF performance with newly optimised algorithms, a re-designed build to enhance durability and operability and more.
Complemented by our extremely versatile E-mount system – with 55 native lenses introduced at this point, including the super-telephoto 600mm and 400mm G Master series lenses – this new camera is a tool unlike any other for professionals either in the field or on the field."
Refined Build and Operability
- Upgraded BIONZ X image processing engine gains maximum benefit from the sensor's fast readout speed. Processor works with front-end LSI to enhance speed in AF/AE detection, image processing, face detection and accuracy, and more
- Upgraded dust and moisture resistant design to meet the needs of professionals in even the most challenging outdoor conditions. Stronger sealing provided at all body seams as well as the battery compartiment cover and media slot
- Latest image-processing algorithm reduces noise in the medium-to-high sensitivity range while improving subjective resolution and image quality
- 5-axis optical in-body image stabilisation system that provides a shutter speed advantage of 5.5 steps
- Improved grip configuration for even greater comfort and sure hold. Compatible with Sony VG-C4EM Vertical Grip
- Improved button design and feel. Increased diameter and feedback of the ‘AF-ON' button; a refined multi-selector joystick design; an exposure compensation dial lock button and a redesigned shape and new position for the rear dial
- Redesigned shutter mechanism to suppress even the slightest movement that can cause image blur. Tested for durability in excess of 500,000 shutter cycles
- USB Type-C connector that supports fast USB 3.2 Gen 1 data transfer
- Dual media slots that are both compatible with UHS-I and UHS-II SD cards, allowing higher overall capacity and faster read/write speeds
- Digital audio interface has been added to the camera's Multi Interface Shoe (MI Shoe) enabling the new ECM-B1M Shotgun Microphone or XLR-K3M XLR Adaptor Kit to be connected directly to the MI Shoe for cleaner, clearer audio recordings
Sony A9 II in Detail
Raising the Bar for Built-in Connectivity in the Professional's Workflow
The Alpha 9 II includes an in-built 1000BASE-T Ethernet terminal, enabling gigabit communication for high-speed, stable data transfer operations. Additionally, File Transfer over SSL or TLS encryption (FTPS) is supported for increased data security and PC remote (tether) shooting performance is improved, with decreased release time lag and reduced live view screen delay when using the ‘Remote Camera Tool' desktop application. The speed of the camera's built-in wireless LAN functionality has also been increased, adding a stable and fast 5 GHz (I 802.11ac) band, in addition to the 2.4 GHz provided in the Alpha 9. I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac standards are all supported.
Designed to improve the speed of news agencies' workflow, the Alpha 9 II features a new Voice Memo function that allows spoken information to be attached to images in the form of voice memos that can be replayed when the images are reviewed. The voice data can also be included with images sent to an editor, giving them important information needed for effective editing. Alternatively, a field photographer can also use the ‘Transfer & Tagging add-on' “Imaging Edge application to transfer voice tags with the images to their mobile device and have the voice memos automatically converted to text and added to the JPEG images in the form of IPTC metadata. All of this can be done automatically or manually, selectable by the photographer.
By combining wireless voice / image transfer and automatic voice to text conversion with the ability to auto transfer images with attached voice memos via FTP, it is possible to shoot and transfer the results to an FTP server without ever having to operate a smartphone. FTP settings with the app can also be sent to a camera via Bluetooth, allowing for a faster workflow.
The Platinum Standard for Speed and Auto Focus Performance
The new Alpha 9 II shares the same acclaimed 35mm full-frame stacked 24.2 map Exmor RS CMOS image sensor with integral memory as the original Alpha 9, giving it the same unmatched speed performance and outstanding image quality. The new model can shoot continuously and completely silently at 20 fps for up to 361 JPEG images or 239 compressed RAW images, with no viewfinder blackout, allowing the photographer to follow the subject and action with no interruption to the EVF during picture taking. For times when mechanical shutter is preferred or required, the new Alpha 9 II has been improved to shoot at up to 10 fps, about 2x the speed of the Alpha 9.
The camera is able to function whilst continuously calculating Auto Focus and Auto Exposure at up to 60 times per second, with newly optimised AF algorithms that provide notably enhanced AF precision and performance, ensuring that even the most erratic subject motion, often experienced in sports, is captured with high precision. Also useful for sporting events, the camera now offers an anti-flicker shooting mode that automatically detects and adjusts for the presence of fluorescent or artificial lighting to maximise image quality.
The advanced focusing system in the new Alpha 9 II is comprised of 693 focal-plane phase-detection AF points covering approximately 93% of the image area, as well as 425 contrast AF points. This Fast Hybrid Auto Focus system achieves extremely fast and accurate performance, ensuring all fast-moving subjects are accurately captured. Additional notable focusing capabilities include Real-time Eye AF with right eye / left eye selection, Real-time Eye AF for animals– augmented with a new algorithm, Real-Time Eye AF for movie, Real-time Tracking, selectable focus frame colour, Touch Pad focus point control while using the viewfinder and more. AF can continuously track even in continuous shooting is greater than F16, providing further accuracy for shots that require slower shutter speeds.
SONY A9 II MIRRORLESS CAMERA BODY SPECIFICATIONS
35mm full frame (35.6×23.8mm), Exmor RS CMOS sensor
693-point phase-detection and 425-point contrast detection AF points
20fpswith AF/AE tracking
High-resolution XAVC S 4K
7.5cm (3.0-type) type TFT NUMBER OF DOTS
1,440,000 dots Touchpanel
1.3 cm (0.5 type) electronic viewfinder (color), Quad-VGA OLED NUMBER OF DOTS 3 686 400 dots
Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac. Bluetooth Standard Ver. 4.1
Sony E-mount lenses
Approx. 128.9mm x 96.4mm x 77.5mm
Approx. 678 g
|Offer Category: Digital Cameras|
|Offer Product Type: Mirrorless Cameras|
|Model: Sony a9|
|AE Bracketing: N/A|
|Autofocus Modes: N/A|
|Articulated Screen: N/A|
|Aperture priority: Yes|
|Built-in flash: N/A|
|Battery Life (CIPA): 690|
|Camera CIPA image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Continuous drive (fps): 20.0|
|Custom white balance: Yes|
|Digital zoom: Yes|
|Effective pixels (megapixels): 24|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Exposure compensation: N/A|
|External flash: Yes|
|Flash range (metres): N/A|
|Focal length (equiv.): N/A|
|Focal length multiplier: 1.00|
|Flash modes: N/A|
|HDMI Port: N/A|
|Headphone port: Yes|
|Height (mm): 96|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Width (mm): 129|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Weight (inc. batteries) (g): 678|
|Image ratio w:h: N/A|
|Camera Image stabilization: N/A|
|ISO: Auto, ISO 100 - 51200 (expands to 50 - 204800)|
|JPEG quality levels: Extra fine, fine, standard|
|Live view: Yes|
|Camera Lens mount: N/A|
|Manual exposure mode: Yes|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic): N/A|
|Maximum ISO: 51200|
|Maximum ISO (boosted): 204800|
|Max resolution: N/A|
|Maximum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Maximum aperture: N/A|
|Manual focus: Yes|
|Microphone port: Yes|
|Camera Minimum focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum ISO: 100|
|Minimum ISO (boosted): 50|
|Minimum macro focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Metering modes: N/A|
|Number of focus points: 693|
|Number of white balance presets: 9|
|Optical zoom multiplier: N/A|
|Orientation sensor: Yes|
|Other resolutions: N/A|
|Processor: BIONZ X|
|Remote control: N/A|
|Screen dots: 1440000|
|Screen size: N/A|
|Screen type: N/A|
|Shutter priority: Yes|
|Sensor photo detectors (megapixels): 28.00|
|Sensor size: N/A|
|Sensor type: N/A|
|Storage types: N/A|
|Subject / scene modes: N/A|
|Timelapse recording: Yes|
|Camera Type: N/A|
|Uncompressed format: N/A|
|Camera USB: N/A|
|USB charging: Yes|
|Viewfinder coverage: N/A|
|Viewfinder magnification: N/A|
|Viewfinder resolution: 3686400|
|Viewfinder type: N/A|
|Video formats: N/A|
|Video Mode Categories: N/A|
|Video Modes: N/A|
|WB Bracketing: Yes|
The Sony A9 II builds on the impressive legacy of the original Alpha 9, bringing blisteringly fast autofocus and operation speed. Everything has been designed around speed and workflow making this a superb choice for any professional.
With improvements to autofocus precision, performance and speed along with a refined body and design, the Sony A9 II is a significant upgrade over the A9.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.