Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS Telephoto Zoom Lens
Designed with G Master optics the Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens is made for sports, wildlife & action photographers with quick, accurate AF, image stabilisation and very sharp results.view full description
Looking to trade in your camera equipment? Get a quote now!
Product Code: 7240793T
Earn 2299 Park Points
Finance available - See options
Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS Telephoto Lens Summary
- Sony E-mount Telephoto Zoom Lens
- Top of the range Sony G-Master Lens
- Focal length of 100-400mm ideal for sports and wildlife photography
- Supersonic Motor for fast and quiet AF
- Minimum focusing distance of 0.98m
- Circular 9-blade aperture
- 22 lens elements in 16 groups
- Filter Thread: 77mm
- Weight: 1359g
- Compatible with Sony Full-Frame Mirrorless cameras
Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G-Master Telephoto Lens in Detail
A 100mm to 400mm zoom range is ideal for sports, wildlife, and similar subjects, with image quality and AF performance that support professional working needs.
Fast, tenacious autofocus
Floating focus with double linear motor and addSSM (Direct Drive SSM) drive systems achieves quick response, high accuracy, and tenacious tracking.
High resolution and fast AF at any focal length
Precision G Master optics ensure consistently high corner-to-corner resolution at any focusing distance throughout the lens's zoom range.
Compact, lightweight, and mobile
Innovative modular exterior construction and magnesium components reduce weight and size for improved portability and mobility.
Outstanding shooting versatility
A floating focus mechanism achieves a minimum focus distance of just 0.98 meters (3.22ft.) so you can track and shoot subjects at any distance with one lens.
G Master series lenses take imaging and expression to previously unattainable levels with a stunning blend of extremely high resolution and softly dissolving background bokeh.
G Master super-telephoto zoom
This top-performance G Master zoom lens covers a broad 100mm to 400mm focal length range that is ideal for sports, wildlife, and other subjects that require a long reach. It offers image quality and AF performance that will support professional fieldwork, tracking and capturing even fast-moving subjects with outstanding resolution and clarity.
Fast, tenacious autofocus
An optimal combination of double linear motor and DDSSM (Direct Drive SSM) drive systems is the first of its kind. It also implements precision sensors that provide real-time feedback for extremely high positioning accuracy, allowing the body’s AF system to perform at its best.
High resolution at any focal length
A precision optical design ensures consistently high corner-to-corner resolution at any focusing distance throughout the lens’s zoom range. The SEL100400GM not only delivers stunning images of distant subjects at super-telephoto focal lengths, it offers equally high performance when shooting nearby subjects as well.
Natural rendering and color
Two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements and one Super ED glass element strategically deployed in an advanced optical design effectively suppress axial chromatic aberration that is often a cause of resolution falloff in telephoto lenses. The result is exceptionally clear, well-defined images.
Clarity and contrast in any light
Sony’s Nano AR Coating suppresses spurious reflections that can cause flare and ghosting in backlit and other challenging lighting situations, for consistently high contrast and clarity. Reduced flare, particularly when shooting in bright outdoor conditions, means greater framing and composing flexibility. (1. Nano AR coating / 2. Glass / 3. Transmitted light)
Compact, lightweight, and mobile
Magnesium alloy components and other refinements contribute to high durability as well as class-leading size and weight reductions that not only mean greater mobility, but improved manageability with lightweight bodies for easier, more stable handheld shooting.
Zoom torque adjustment
This is the first α lens to include a zoom smoothness adjuster that provides mechanical control of zoom ring torque. Set a lower torque for fast zooming, or increase torque when slow, stable zooming is required. Fine adjustment allows the feel of the lens to be matched to individual user needs.
Clear, blur-free images without a tripod
Built-in Optical SteadyShot image stabilisation makes it easier to capture blur-free images, particularly when shooting sports or other subjects that require fast stabilisation response. Mode 2 stabilisation facilitates dynamic panned shots. 5-axis stabilisation becomes available when used with α series bodies that feature in-body stabilisation.
Outstanding shooting versatility
Floating focus and high positioning precision have made it possible to achieve a minimum focus distance of just 0.98 meters (3.22ft.) with up to 0.35x magnification. You have a versatile 100mm to 400mm super-telephoto zoom range, plus outstanding close-up performance at 100mm.
Customisable focus hold button
Conveniently located focus hold buttons provide focus hold control even during continuous AF operation. They can also be customised from a camera menu that allows them to be assigned to a variety of different functions.
Removable tripod mount
A removable tripod mount allows quick attachment to or removal from a tripod so the user can easily switch between tripod and handheld shooting. The mount can also be removed for convenient transport and storage. A lock mechanism prevents accidental removal.
Teleconverters for extra reach
SEL100400GM is fully compatible with the high-performance SEL14TC and SEL20TC teleconverters for a 1.4x or 2x increase in focal length, respectively. That’s a maximum focal length of 800mm (1200mm on an APS-C format body).
Fluorine coated front element
The lens’s front element features a fluorine coating that helps to prevent dirt and fingerprints from sticking, and makes it easier to wipe dirt and fingerprints away if they do become attached to the lens surface. This can be a significant advantage for outdoor shooting.
High reliability in harsh conditions
The overall design of this lens is dust and moisture resistant for extra protection and reliable operation in challenging environments. Shoot with confidence in light rain or windy conditions.
Pro lens hood features
An access window that can be opened or closed as required allows easy access for polarizing filter operation, and a hood lock switch prevents accidental detachment or rotation of the lens hood while shooting or moving around.
Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS Telephoto Zoom Lens Specifications
Focal length range
Max f/4.5-5.6 Min f/32-40
Sony E-mount full frame
93.9 x 205 mm
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: N/A|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 94|
|Length (mm): 205|
|Weight (g): 1395|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: Yes|
|Focal length: 100 - 400 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: Yes|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: Yes|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 400|
|Maximum magnification: 0.35|
|Maximum aperture (number): 4.5|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 100|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.98|
|Minimum aperture (number): 40|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 9|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: Two ED, one super ED element. Fluorine-coated front element.|
|Tripod collar: Yes|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Zoom lock: Yes|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Joining the G-Master family of Sony Lenses specifically designed to complement their range of Full-Frame Mirrorless Cameras, comes their longest lens to date.
Introduced to the world alongside the Sony a9 Mirrorless Camera this 100-400mm E-mount lens opens up a new world of possibilities to Sony camera owners.
With the speed of modern mirrorless cameras improving and now becoming a more viable option for sports and wildlife photography, this is the perfect complement to the range.
Coupled with quiet motors for focusing, G-Master level optics and the high-resolution capabilities of their cameras - this is the perfect lens choice for those looking to capture the action from distance.
- Weather sealing means it doesn't shudder when it rains, even if you do
- Longest lens in the E-mount family so far, opening up new photographic opportunities
- Quiet AF to ensure that it is great for quiet environments (stalking animals)
- The name 'G-Master' makes it sound extra cool
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.