Olympus 100-400mm f/5-6.3 ED M.ZUIKO Lens Black
The highly compact Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm lens for micro 4/3 OM-D photographers delivers high performance stabilised super telephoto and macro capabilities yet is only 205mm long.
- Huge focal range of 200-800mm (35mm equivalent) in a highly compact and lightweight format
- Superb edge to edge sharp performance thanks to advanced optical engineering
- In-lens stabilisation provides up to 3 EV stops of advantage when hand holding
- Extensive weather sealing with dust, splash and freeze-proofing for outdoor shooting
- Capture any action with the fast, high-precision AF performance through rear focus system
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm f/5.0-6.3 IS Lens Summary
The M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm f/5.0-6.3 IS lens from Olympus is an excellent addition for OM-D photographers, which offers a huge telephoto focal range of 200-800mm (35mm equivalent). Despite the impressive range, the lens is extremely compact at just 205mm long and lightweight enough to bring anywhere, making it ideal for wildlife, action and sports photographers. Extensive dust and weather sealing provide peace of mind when shooting during inclement weather, which is ideal for outdoor users. Advanced optical engineering incorporates a combination of four Extra-low Dispersion (ED) lenses, two Super High Refractive Index (Super HR) elements and two HR (High Refractive Index) lenses. Together these combine to deliver edge to edge sharpness with bright clear images and video, along with well controlled ghosting and flaring for sunlit conditions.
The lens also includes competent built-in optical stabilisation which provides up to 3 EV stops of compensation for hand held shooting. The 1.3m close-focus ability of the ED 100-400mm f/5.0-6.3 IS allows photographers to capture stunning macro images such as insects and flowers at 0.57x magnification (approximately 1:2). Further versatility is afforded by full integration with Olympus teleconverters which extend the focal range to 1120mm with the 1.4x TC or an incredible 1600mm with the 2x MC-20. This enables photographers to hand-hold this lightweight optic at vast focal lengths to capture incredibly distant subjects with ease. AF is achieved quickly and accurately through the highly acclaimed rear focus system which M.Zuiko lenses utilise. A Focus Clutch and a Focus Limiter allows switching between three AF levels according to subject distance providing quicker focusing and comfortable shooting even at super telephoto ranges.
Olympus ED 100-400mm f/5.0-6.3 IS Lens in More Detail
Focal length: 100 - 400 mm (Focal length equiv. 35mm = 200 - 800 mm)
Angle of view: 12 - 3.1° Closest focusing distance 1.3 m
High-refractive elements: 2
ED lens elements: 4
HR elements: 2
Super HR elements: 2
Focusing method: High-speed Imager AF (MSC)
Lens configuration: 21 elements / 15 groups
Number of aperture blades: 9 Circular aperture diaphragm for natural background
Image Stabiliser: Up to 3 EV steps (Not compatible with Sync IS)
Pro Features: Dust, splash and freeze-proof
Alternative telephoto lenses in Olympus’ line-up include the M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f/4 IS PRO lens and eye-wateringly good Digital ED 150-400mm f/4.5 TC 1.25x IS PRO. Both are more expensive, justifying their price increase with stabilisation and fixed aperture. However this Digital ED 100-400mm offers an excellent compromise between price and features, with a considerable cost saving over both of these other options.
What’s more this lens is also compatible with teleconverters for truly incredible reach. Match it with the M.Zuiko Digital 2x MC-20 Teleconverter or the Olympus MC-14 1.4x TeleConverter for 40% - 100% more reach throughout the range. You can learn more about the 100-400mm f/5.0-6.3 lens in our blog here.
What else is included in the box?
- Digital ED 100-400mm f/5.0-6.3 IS Lens
- lens hood LH-76D
- Hoya 72mm Ultra Pro UV filter
- Hoya REVO SMC 72mm Circular Polarising Filter
- Lowepro ProTactic Lens Exchange 200AW Black
- Gitzo GM2542 Series 2, 4-Section Carbon Fibre Monopod
- Hama 5610 Bellows Blower Dust EX 55mm
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm f/5.0-6.3 IS Super Telephoto Lens Specifications
Super Telephoto Zoom Lens
100-400mm (200-800mm equivalent)
f/5 (wide) - f/6.3 (tele) - f/22
Lens Groups / Elements
21 elements / 15 groups
Yes up to 3 EV stops
Minimum Focus Distance
Angle Of View
12 ‑ 3.1°
Micro Four Thirds
383 g (including battery and memory card)
|Offer Category: Camera Lenses|
|Offer Product Type: Micro Four Thirds Lenses|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: N/A|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): 19595|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: N/A|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: N/A|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): N/A|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: N/A|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Olympus has delivered a highly successful super telephoto zoom lens with the Digital ED 100-400mm f/5.0-6.3 IS. Not only does this model provide an extensive range (particularly when coupled with either of the available teleconverters), but does so in an extremely portable and lightweight form. The Olympus range of micro four thirds cameras is designed around portability and this lens cements this, as well as Panasonic Lumix G compatibility, as a truly lightweight system. A number of convenient AF features allow for simple switching between functions depending on the subjects’ distance and internal stabilisation assists with hand holding for more keepers even in lower lighting conditions.
21 elements with a number of high quality optics ensure images are sharp from edge to edge with well controlled flare, even when shooting into sunlight. The versatility of this super telephoto is further assured through its’ close focus capabilities, allowing photographers or videographers to also capture beautiful macro images at 1.3m distance. This broadens the appeal of the 100-400mm model across genres, spanning bird photography, sports, action and other wildlife at focal lengths up to and impressive 1600mm equivalent range. Photographers who capture super telephoto subjects and favour a highly portable lens need look no further than this option which delivers sharp results and weather sealing as standard.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.