Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM Wide Angle Zoom Lens
The renowned Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM is a fast, wide G master lens known for sharp, high contrast resolving power with zoom versatility, designed with advanced optics such as low dispersion elements.
- G-Master optics are an exceptional match with a Sony Full-Frame Mirrorless camera
- A constant f/2.8 through the focal range means bokeh from 16-35mm - lovely!
- Moisture and dust resistant, perfect for grabbing those outdoor shots that it is perfect for
Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM Wide-angle Zoom Lens
- Sony G-Master FE 16-35mm f/2.8 Wide-angle Zoom Lens
- Acclaimed G-Master build quality and optics
- Sony E-mount lens for Sony Full-Frame Mirrorless Cameras
- Ideal for shooting architecture, interiors and landscapes
- Can be used to capture delightful bokeh with its fast aperture and rounded aperture blades
- Largest XA Element produced to date for ultimate quality
- 2 x Direct Drive Super Sonic wave Motors for fast and quiet AF
- Dust & moisture resistant
- Customisable focus hold button
- Minimum focus distance: 0.28m
- Filter Diameter: 82mm
- Weight: 680g
Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM G-Master Lens in Detail
Explore the world in wide-angle detail
G Master performance in a wide-angle F2.8 16-35mm zoom offers a wealth of opportunities to capture subjects in creative new ways. No matter what zoom setting or focus distance you shoot at, this lens delivers consistently superb resolution from corner-to-corner, with stunning background bokeh when required. A compact, lightweight design makes it manageable for active shooting.
Fast, high-resolution F2.8 16-35mm zoom
The first wide-angle G Master zoom lens offers performance that will take full advantage of the high-resolution potential of the latest and future camera bodies. The most advanced Sony optical and mechanical technologies come together to deliver extraaordinary rendering and clarity.
High corner-to-corner resolution
Uncompromised optical design achieves extremely high resolution and contrast. Landscapes, architecture, interiors, and other expansive subjects are captured with outstanding corner-to-corner sharpness. Aspherical elements minimize distortion, while ED (extraa-low Dispersion) glass elements effectively control chromatic aberration.
Clarity and contrast in any light
Sony's original Nano AR Coating suppresses spurious reflections that can cause flare and ghosting in backlit and other challenging lighting situations, for consistently high contrast and clarity. Freedom from flare over a wide range of incident light angles provides greater framing and composing flexibility, particularly at wide-angle focal lengths.
Gorgeous background bokeh
Shooting up close at F2.8 can produce some extraaordinary background bokeh. Use this capability to shoot portraits, for example, with dynamic, painterly backgrounds consisting of smooth, expressive bokeh that makes the subject stand out clearly.
Resolution and bokeh raised to new heights
This lens features two Sony XA (extreme aspherical) elements with 0.01 micron surface precision. Distortion that tends to occur in wide-angle zoom lenses is meticulously controlled, as are astigmatism and field curvature. Unattractive onion-ring bokeh is effectively suppressed by XA (extreme aspherical) elements so that smooth, beautiful bokeh is achieved in out-of-focus areas.
Optimum resolution at any focal length
Consistently high resolution is achieved from infinity to the closest focusing distance. This lens employs a floating focus mechanism with two independently driven lens groups. This system helps to reduce all types of aberration to minimum levels and thereby maintain sharp, high-resolution rendering from infinity focus for landscapes, for example, all the way down to close focus for portraits and similar subjects.
Fast, precise autofocus
Two addSSM (Direct Drive SSM) systems employing original Sony piezoelectric motors directly drive two focus groups in a floating focus configuration. The focus groups are positioned with high precision for the highest possible focus accuracy. addSSM is quiet too, making it ideal for shooting movies as well as stills.
Light and compact for high mobility
Class-leading size and weight reductions have been achieved while maintaining outstanding optical performance. This lens is an ideal match for compact E-mount bodies, providing a portable, manageable system that's easy to take along on hiking or mountaineering photo excursions.
11 blades enhance bokeh beauty
Sony's original 11-blade circular aperture contributes to even greater bokeh quality. Design and materials have been revised to maintain a round shape, and strict circularity standards are applied to ensure that the full beauty of the lens's bokeh is achieved without compromise.
Smooth, versatile operation
A focus hold button, manual focus ring, AF/MF switch, and other controls provide versatile fingertip operation. The focus hold button can be customized via a body menu that allows a variety of functions to be assigned to the button to match the user's needs.
Fluorine coated front element
The lens's front element features a fluorine coating that helps to prevent dirt and fingerprints from sticking, and make it easier to wipe dirt and fingerprints away if they do become attached to the lens surface.
High reliability in harsh conditions
The overall design of this lens is dust and moisture resistant for extraa protection and reliable operation in challenging environments. Shoot with confidence in light rain or windy conditions.
Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM Wide Angle Zoom Lens Specifications
Focal length range
F/2.8 - F/22
Optical steadyshot stabilisation
88.5 x 121.6mm
|Offer Category: Camera Lenses|
|Offer Product Type: Sony Lenses E Mount|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 89|
|Length (mm): 122|
|Weight (g): 680|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 16 - 35 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: Yes|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 35|
|Maximum magnification: 0.19|
|Maximum aperture (number): 2.8|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 16|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.28|
|Minimum aperture (number): 22|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 11|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: Extreme aspherical & ED elements, Nano AR & fluorine coatings|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Joining the fast-growing and highly acclaimed of Sony G-Master lenses, this is the fastest wide-angle zoom lens available for the Sony E-mount range of camera s - and will certainly have been built with the exceptional Sony a9 Mirrorless camera which was announced just weeks before.
Whilst not the "all-round" zoom lens, like the Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM G-Master, you'd expect to see a 16-35mm in the hands of somebody requiring pictures in particular environments - although the focal length does lend itself to a wide enough variety - including portraiture and more akin to landscape and architectural photography.
This features the exceptional G Master build and optical quality, with the largest XA element of its kind housed within.
Those arguing that the Sony E-Mount does not have a strong lens line-up are rather quickly being silenced by the fact that Sony are constantly adding strength to their lens family - with the ultra-wide angle Sony FE 12-24mm F/4 G Ultra-Wide Angle Lens announced at the same time.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.