Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM Lens
The Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM is an incredibly compact, lightweight telephoto zoom lens for EOS R mirrorless and is compatible with extenders making it ideal for wildlife, sports and other adventures
Earn 699 Park Points
Finance available See options
Trade in & Trade up
Looking to trade in your photo equipment? Get a quote now!
Chat with a Canon product specialist about this productChat now
- Incredibly compact and lightweight 100-400mm lens which can fit into a kit bag easily for any adventure
- Great telephoto reach and great results from Canon’s RF optics with Super Spectra coating
- Powerful optical stabilisation helps with handheld shooting even when light levels are low
- Fast, quiet and smooth focusing for stills and video thanks to Nano USM focusing
- Versatile lens with 0.88m minimum focus distance as well as 0.41x max magnification for tele-macro close-ups
Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM Lens Summary
Designed for wildlife, sports and other telephoto adventures this Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM Lens has been released to join a growing number of Canon mirrorless lenses for full frame EOS R cameras. It is incredibly compact and lightweight at just 635g and measuring 164.7mm long, ideal for sports days, extended trips, safaris, zoo visits and more.
This highly portable telephoto zoom includes up to 5.5-stops of optical image stabilisation, which extends to 6-stops when mounted on cameras such as the EOS R5 and R6. This means you can capture sharp handheld stills and smooth movies and stay lightweight without bringing a tripod along. A Nano USM motor provides fast and quiet focusing and there is a customary control ring which is found on RF lenses. You can also add RF Extenders to get even closer to your subject with great results throughout the range, with or without an Extender.
- 5.5 stops optical stabilisation to 6-stops with compatible camera bodies
- Compact and lightweight design
- Nano USM focusing
- UD glass
- Super Spectra Coating
- Lens control ring
- 9-blade aperture
- Compatible with RF extenders
Canon’s optical formula for this lens consists of 12 elements arranged in 9 groups which includes 1x UD and 1 x PMo Aspherical element. These deliver great image results in combination with the Super Spectra coating while helping to keep the size and weight of the lens down.
Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM Lens in More Detail
Reach distant subjects with ease
The Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM Lens has an extensive 4x zoom range for flexibility to capture subjects as near as 0.88m (88cm) and much further away. The maximum magnification of 0.41x at the telephoto end also allows you to shoot beautiful close-up tele-macro shots, further extending the versatility of this zoom.
Sharp and extremely stable
The powerful 5.5-stop Optical Image Stabilisation gives the RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 lens a solid advantage for getting sharp handheld stills and smooth movies. It can also work in tandem with compatible EOS R cameras for an additional 0.5 stops of stabilisation.
Super compact and lightweight
Weighing just 635g and measuring 164.7mm in length this compact, lightweight lens will be well balanced on any camera, even when fully extended. At this compact size it also fits in a kit bag remarkably well so you can bring it on your adventures.
Responsive performance with smooth and fast AF
The Nano USM motor focus is fast, quiet and smooth, making use of Canon’s advanced Dual Pixel CMOS AF, while a Lens Control Ring gives added control over settings. A nine-blade aperture delivers great background blur allowing you to isolate your subject beautifully against the background.
Super telephoto range
The RF 100-400MM F5.6-8 IS USM is a great choice for animal photography and other distant subjects, producing great results thanks to Ultra-low Dispersion (UD) glass and advanced optical coatings.
Extend your reach even further
Canon RF extenders connect seamlessly with metering and Auto Focus to give you even greater reach for faraway subjects. The Canon Extender RF 1.4x extends the focal range to 140mm - 560mm with an aperture range of f/8 - f/11 while the Canon Extender RF 2x doubles the range to 200mm - 800mm with aperture range of f/11 - f/16.
Read more about the simultaneous launch of the RF 100-400mm and RF 16mm lens review in our blog here.
What’s in the box
- Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM Lens
- Lens cap E-67 II
- Rear End Lens Dust Cap RF
- Canon Extender RF 1.4x - Extend the focal range to 140mm - 560mm.
- Canon Extender RF 2x - Double the range to 200mm - 800mm with aperture f/11 - f/16
- Canon 67 mm Protect Lens Filter - keep that front element safe from knocks and scratches
- Hoya 67mm Ultra Pro Circular Polariser - an excellent CPL to reduce reflections when shooting outdoors
Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM Lens Sample images
Canon RF 100-400mm with Extender RF 1.4x. Mounted on EOS R6. 560mm. 1/5 sec. f/11. ISO 100
Canon RF 100-400mm with Extender RF 2x. Mounted on EOS R6. 800mm. 1/125 sec. f/16. ISO 12800
Canon RF 100-400mm. Mounted on EOS R6. 400mm. 1/125 sec. f/8. ISO 400
Canon RF 100-400mm with Extender RF 1.4x. Mounted on EOS R6. 560mm. 1/400 sec. f/11. ISO 200
Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM Lens Specifications
|Image size||Full Frame|
|35mm Film Equivalent FocalLength (mm)|
|Angle of View(Horzntl, Vertl, Diagnl)||20° - 5° 10',14° - 3° 30',24° - 6° 10'|
|Lens Construction(Elements/Groups)||12 / 9|
|Special Optics||1x UD, 1 x PMo Aspherical|
|Number of Diaphragm Blades||9|
|Minimum Aperture||32 @ 100mm / 45 @ 400mm|
|Closest Focusing Distance (m)1||0.88|
|Maximum Magnification (x)2||0.41|
|Image Stabilizer OIS3||5.5|
|Image Stabilizer IBIS x OIS3||6|
|AF Actuator||Nano USM|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: N/A|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 165|
|Length (mm): 80|
|Weight (g): 635|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 100 - 400 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: Yes|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 400|
|Maximum magnification: 0.41|
|Maximum aperture (number): 5.6|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 100|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.88|
|Minimum aperture (number): 45|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 9|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: 1 UD + 1 aspherical element, Super Spectra Coating|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
The number of RF lenses is swelling rapidly as this RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM joins the line-up at the same time as the RF 16mm f/2.8 STM Lens. Canon has given us one of the lightest and most compact telephoto zooms with the RF 100-400mm, which offers a greater degree of versatility over prime telephoto lenses like the RF 600mm f/11. The 9-bladed aperture is bright enough for most situations and the lens works seamlessly with RF Extenders for even greater reach with full AF functionality.
Optical stabilisation gives you an impressive 5.5 stops of advantage, which helps considerably when handholding, virtually eliminating the need for a tripod or monopod in many instances. This in turn keeps weight down as this lens is all about lightweight portability for wildlife, sports and family adventures. You get a control ring on the lens barrel, which can be set to your workflow, along with good quality optics and lens coatings for great image and video quality. AF is fast, quiet and responsive allowing you to keep up with your subjects and a close minimum focus distance lets you capture frame-filling tele-macro subjects.
There’s like a lot to like about the RF 100-400mm which is considerably cheaper than its nearest stablemate, the RF 100-500mm L IS USM and it’s super lightweight offering great results throughout the range.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order. Lenses are optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements and optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.