Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM Lens
The Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM Lens is an ultra wide angle, ultra lightweight full frame lens for mirrorless EOS R cameras, which is ideal for vlogging, video, landscapes, astrophotography and more.
- Ultra wide focal width lens suitable for vlogging and content creation getting everything in the frame
- Super compact design which weighs just 165g so you can bring it along everywhere
- Excellent image quality with optics that includes an aspherical element designed for full frame mirrorless cameras
- Fast, quiet and smooth STM focus motor perfect for video with quiet focusing for cinematic scenes
- The bright aperture helps with shallow depth of field photos and videos as well as low light shooting
Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM Lens Summary
If you’re a content creator, vlogger or love shooting ultra wide angle subjects without a heavy optic, the Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM Lens offers excellent image quality in a compact ultra lightweight form. You can shoot landscapes, astrophotography, architecture and interiors with this bright f/2.8 aperture prime for full frame EOS R Canon mirrorless cameras. The smooth, quiet and fast STM focus motor works brilliantly with Canon focus systems, harnessing Face and Eye AF for stills and video content. At such a wide angle with 98º field of view and close 13cm minimum focus distance, you can get everything in the frame you need to for all of your content.
- Ultra wide fixed focal width well suited to vlogging and creative content
- Bright f/2.8 aperture for low light and separating the subject from background
- Extremely compact and lightweight design
- Smooth, quiet STM focus motor
- Excellent image quality with aspherical lens element
Despite weighing just 165g the RF 16mm f/2.8 STM lens includes a single PMo aspheric lens for excellent colour rendition and crisp, high contrast images. What’s more, when the lens is retracted it measures just 40.1mm long, so you’ll always be able to bring it on your adventures wherever they take you.
Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM Lens in More Detail
Designed for full frame cameras, the 16mm focal length is ultra wide, offering optimum vlogging potential and great creative opportunities for content creators shooting interiors as well as grand outside views.
Smooth and quiet STM motor
The STM lens motor offers refined, quiet focusing and is super smooth and fast for photos and videos with a stunning cinematic look for movie making.
Fast f/2.8 circular aperture
The Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM Lens has a fast f/2.8 aperture. This gives you clean, soft bokeh which is great for landscapes, architecture as well as control over depth-of-field when you want to vlog. The aperture is also excellent when capturing night scenes, stars, astro and aurora.
Lightweight take-anywhere lens
The RF 16mm weighs just 165g and measures just 40.1mm when retracted, making it one of the smallest and lightest Canon mirrorless lenses, similar in stature to the RF 50mm f/1.8. This means you can leave it on your camera all day long, or pack it in your camera bag and take it out when you’re inspired. A compact 43mm filter thread also provides a cost effective addition of ND filters and other filters you might want.
Superb image quality
Canon has included nine lens elements in seven groups with a single PMo aspheric lens. This renders excellent colour as well as crisp, high contrast images, ideal for an ultra wide lens of this kind.
Filmmaking in crop mode
When shooting in crop mode the RF 16mm f/2.8 STM becomes a 25.6mm wide angle, like having a second lens. This gives you even more options when you’re shooting videos.
Read more about the simultaneous launch of the RF 100-400mm and RF 16mm lens review in our blog here.
What’s in the box
- Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM Lens
- Lens cap EF-43
- Rear Lens Dust Cap RF
Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM Lens Sample images
Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM lens mounted on EOS R6. 1/500 sec. f/8. ISO 200
Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM lens mounted on EOS R6. 1/250 sec. f/11. ISO 100
Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM lens mounted on EOS R6. 25 sec. f/2.8. ISO 6400
Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM lens mounted on EOS R6. 1/2000 sec. f/2.8. ISO 200
Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM Lens Specifications
|35mm film equivalent focal length (mm)||16mm|
|Angle of view (horzntl, vertl, diagnl)||98°, 74°10, 108°10|
|Lens construction (elements/groups)||44446|
|No. of diaphragm blades||7|
|Closest focusing distance (m)||0.13|
|Maximum magnification (x)||0.26|
|Filter diameter (mm)||43|
|Max. diameter x length(mm)2||69.2 x 40.1|
|Rear End Cap||Lens Dust Cap RF|
|Magnification with Extension Tube EF12 II||Not Compatible|
|Magnification with Extension Tube EF25 Information||Not Compatible|
|Extender compatibility||Not Compatible|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 40|
|Length (mm): 69|
|Weight (g): 165|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 16 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 16|
|Maximum magnification: 0.26|
|Maximum aperture (number): 2.8|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 16|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.13|
|Minimum aperture (number): 22|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 7|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: 1 aspherical element, Super Spectra Coating|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Canon is busy at the moment. We have a simultaneous release of the first ultra wide prime RF 16mm f/2.8 STM and at the opposite end of the spectrum, the RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM Lens. Both lenses have been developed for the full frame mirrorless EOS R system with very different subjects in mind. The 16mm f/2.8 STM is an incredibly lightweight and portable ultra wide angle, which makes it ideal as a bring-anywhere lens to capture both stills and videos. With such a wide focal length you can get everything into the frame even as close as 0.13m so it’s ideal for vlogging or even shooting group selfies, especially if you use a handheld gimbal or stabiliser like the versatile Zhiyun Crane M2.
Results are excellent thanks to the aspherical lens element included and the Autofocus system is fast, quiet and accurate whether you are making photos or movies. An f/2.8 aperture is bright enough to let you work in low lighting as well as to isolate your stills and video subjects. You also get a dual electronic focus / control ring on the lens barrel, which can be set to enhance your personal workflow. If you’ve been looking for a great all-rounder from Canon which will get everything into the frame you need, then look no further than this compact RF ultra wide angle lens.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.