Nikon Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S Lens
Weighing just 1,245g, the Nikon Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S is a highly portable high resolution S-Line super-telephoto prime lens, with bright aperture, teleconverter compatibility and more for sports, action and wildlife.
- Extremely lightweight and portable super telephoto prime, which is compact enough to stay mounted on your camera
- Professional S-Line optics deliver outstanding resolution, detail, clarity and contrast even with backlit subjects
- Compatible with Nikon Z teleconverters, which barely adds any weight for even greater reach of 560mm and 800mm
- Fast f/4.5 aperture with 9 aperture blades excels in low light while creating beautiful bokeh and smooth defocus areas
- Premium weather sealed build quality with fully customisable and intuitive button layout for faster workflows
Nikon Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S Lens Summary
Combining super-telephoto reach and comfortable handling with high portability and outstanding S-Line optics, the Nikon Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S Lens is destined for fast action, sports, birds and wildlife photography. The full-frame (FX) super telephoto prime joins the Z mount lens range, following hot on the heels of the Z 800mm F/6.3 VR S Lens. It offers photographers and videographers a bright aperture and compact size, measuring just 234.5mm long and weighing a mere 1,245g for comfortable handholding during any assignment.
The Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S is also compatible with Nikon’s mirrorless teleconverters, where focus range increases to 560mm with the Z 1.4x Teleconverter and 800mm when the Z 2.0x Teleconverter is mounted. A fast and near silent AF system keeps up with quick and erratic subjects, while comprehensive lens barrel controls allow you to customise your shooting experience and speed up your workflow.
- Super telephoto prime lens with premium S-Line quality
- Outstanding resolution, detail with high clarity and contrast
- Compatible with Nikon mirrorless Z teleconverters
- Highly portable 1,245g weight and compact 234.5mm length
- Fast, near silent and accurate AF system
- Suppressed focus breathing and smooth aperture control for video
- Beautiful bokeh rendered by 9 aperture blades
- Nano Crystal coat combats flare and ghosting
- Special Super ED, ED and SR glass elements
- Customisable L-Fn buttons, silent control ring and focus distance memory set
- Weather sealed, rubber gasket and Fluorine coat on the front element
- 95mm filter thread
Nikon Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S Lens in More Detail
Premium S-Line quality
Nikon’s premium S-Line quality delivers outstanding resolution, incredibly sharp and accurate texture reproduction, with virtually no colour fringing or artefacts. This is delivered by an optical formula in the Z 400mm f/4.5, which includes 19 lens elements arranged into 13 groups. Within these are a series of special glass elements including 1 ED, 2 Super ED and 1 SR element, which control aberrations and reduce artefacts extremely well. Results are superb regardless of whether shooting on the flagship Z9, accomplished Z7 II or any other Nikon mirrorless camera.
Natural bokeh and subject separation
With a bright f/4.5 aperture, 9-bladed diaphragm and S-Line optics you can achieve beautifully blurred backgrounds and defocused soft, rounded bokeh to enhance your images and direct the viewer's eyes to the primary subject.
The Nikon Z 400mm is also designed to reproduce point light sources more accurately for natural looking shots and improved bokeh characteristics, even during night shoots.
Optimised for video
As with all S-Line lenses, the Z 400mm all but eliminate focus breathing for a consistent composition as you shift focus, which is ideal for smooth focus pulls when shooting video. The electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism provides smooth aperture control to capture natural-looking movies when brightness shifts in the scene. A long super telephoto focal width also renders beautiful compression for movies, perfect for capturing more distant subjects in their element.
Fully customisable professional lens
Along with professional ergonomics, which deliver a perfectly balanced, comfortable shooting experience, the Nikon Z 400mm f/4.5 lens also features an intuitive layout with tactile buttons. Different functions can be assigned to L-Fn buttons and there is a silent control ring and focus memory-set button to save focus distance.
Dust and Drip Resistant
Extensively sealed to keep dust and moisture out, especially around all moving parts of the lens barrel, for worry-free durability.
Strict Quality Control
Nikon’s rigorous testing and premium S-Line build quality ensures high performance with high reliability, for a lens you can trust in the field.
What’s in the box
- Nikon Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S Lens for Z mount
- HB-105 lens hood
- LF-N1 Rear cap
- LC-95B Lens cap
- CL-C5 Lens case
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 104|
|Length (mm): 235|
|Weight (g): 1245|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 400 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 400|
|Maximum magnification: 0.16|
|Maximum aperture (number): 4.5|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 400|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 2.5|
|Minimum aperture (number): 32|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 9|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: 1 x ED, 2 x SuperED, 1 x Short-wavelength refractive|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Nikon’s mirrorless Z system is swelling with high quality optics to cater for the growing number of users who are joining the ranks. With market-leading cameras like the Z9 it’s no wonder Nikon is busy developing lenses like this professional-quality super telephoto Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S Lens. It joins the mirrorless range as one of the most compact and lightweight S-Line primes at this focal length. Whilst the majority of users will focus on action, sports, birds and wildlife, it is also perfectly suited to long-range portraits, videos and even landscapes.
It is indeed optimised for video, with low focus breathing, silent and accurate AF as well as smooth aperture changes, and the bright aperture will render beautiful defocus areas for stills and movies. S-Line lenses are notorious for delivering impeccable quality, which is in part due to the wide Z mount, but primarily because of Nikon’s optical designs reserved for these premium lenses. As such results are extremely strong, with high resolution detail, edge to edge sharpness and high clarity. Aberrations are similarly well controlled, as is ghosting and flare thanks to Nikon’s Nano Crystal coat. Seemingly endless features include teleconverter compatibility, weather sealing, customisable controls and a well-balanced, enjoyable shooting experience will inevitably combine to seal this as the definitive super telephoto lens for Nikon mirrorless photographers.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order. Lenses are optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements and optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.