Nikon Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S Lens
The Nikon Nikkor Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S Lens brings a formidable, lightweight super telephoto prime to the mirrorless system with S-Line quality, TC compatibility and NANO crystal coat, from a highly portable form.
- Extremely compact and lightweight super telephoto prime lens which can be handheld for extended periods
- Professional S-Line optics deliver sharp, clear, high resolution, to render even the finest details on distant subjects
- Fast, quiet and accurate focusing from Nikon’s Stepping Motor ideal for quiet shooting environments
- Combined Synchro VR camera and optical Vibration Reduction for up to 5.5-Stop advantage
- Pro lens with TC compatibility, advanced ergonomics, customisable buttons and extensive weather sealing
Nikon Nikkor Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S Super Telephoto Lens Summary
Following an early announcement, the Nikon Nikkor Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S Lens arrives as the longest super telephoto prime for Nikon’s full-frame (FX) mirrorless Z camera range. It combines decades of optical know-how with S-Line quality, Teleconverter compatibility and a NANO crystal coat, all from a highly portable form measuring just 385mm long. Nikon managed to keep the lens weight down to 2,385g, which will no doubt cause celebration with sports, action and wildlife photographers and videographers, who travel light and shoot handheld.
An array of 22 elements arranged into 14 groups includes 3 ED, 1 SR and 1 PF (Phase Fresnel) element, contributing to low weight and outstanding results, which can be achieved not only with the flagship Z9 camera, but any mirrorless Nikon camera. Photographers and videographers can capitalise on this formidable optic, using both FX and DX bodies, where it offers a 3º 10 or 2º 00 angle of view respectively.
- Compact and lightweight super telephoto prime
- Professional S-Line optical quality
- Internal focusing system
- Normal and Sport optical Vibration Reduction modes
- Up to 5.5-stop VR with cameras supporting Synchro VR
- 9-blade rounded diaphragm
- Fast, smooth and reliable STM focusing system
- Compatible with Nikon Z 2.0x and Nikon Z 1.4x Teleconverter
- Well suppressed focus breathing
- Pro ergonomics with customisable L-Fn buttons, silent control ring and focus memory
- Extensive weather sealing
- Nano Crystal and Fluorine Coats
Nikon Nikkor Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S Lens in More Detail
Reach Further, Lighter
The Nikon Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S Lens has been designed to keep weight as low as possible, while retaining the highest image quality achievable. To meet these requirements Nikon added their Phase Fresnel lens within the professional S-Line optical formula. This results in the furthest reaching Z Mount lens in the range, bringing subjects even closer than the incredible Nikon Nikkor Z 400mm F/2.8 TC VR S with its built-in TC.
In fact, with TC compatibility this super telephoto can reach subjects at incredible distances, offering 1120mm and 1600mm with a 1.4x or 2.0x TC attached.
Professional S-Line Optics with Outstanding Results
The optical formula combines 22 lens elements to magnify the image. Nikon employed a number of special glass elements to refine the image, provide clarity, detail and to meet the extremely high resolving requirements of higher resolution sensors.
Elements include 3 ED, 1 SR and 1 PF, which translate to Extra-low Dispersion, Short-wavelength Refractive and a Phase Fresnel lens. Together these improve image quality through a reduction in chromatic aberration and colour fringing, increasing clarity while realising high optical performance. Whether you capture vehicles, wildlife or human subjects these characteristics deliver impressive performance, drawing out the finest details with huge resolving power.
Combined VR up to 5.5-Stop
In support of handholding and shooting in low light, Nikon has incorporated VR which provides up to 5.5-stop advantage when using the lens with a camera which supports Synchro VR. At the time of release this means the range-topping Nikon Z9, with more to follow. A VR selector enables you to choose between VR modes, with Sport and Normal depending on your subject.
Fast Stepping Motor
The types of subjects which this lens will be trained on demand competent AF performance. To this end the Z 800mm employs Nikon’s STM (Stepping Motor) technology, which synchronises with pulse electric power. This provides exceptionally fast, smooth and reliable AF performance, harnessing AI-based subject detection and tracking algorithms which are found in the latest Z cameras. Not only this, but the motor is extremely quiet, ideal for video and sensitive subjects where the slightest noise can disturb your shot.
Pro Ergonomics and Useability
The Z 800mm lens is weighted in such a way as to keep the centre of gravity as close to the camera body as possible. This makes it easier to not only handhold the beast, but pan and stop smoothly, enabling you to follow erratically moving subjects more fluidly for incredible results at this huge focal width.
There are also plenty of lens controls to streamline your personal workflow. These are laid out intuitively with assignable L-Fn buttons, a silent control ring, AF/M switch, focus limiter and Memory Set button to save focus distances.
Last but not least Nikon incorporated comprehensive weather sealing around all of the moving parts, to control dust and moisture ingression. A rubber gasket on the lens mount also protects the camera as well as the lens itself.
Two coatings have been added with Nikon’s NANO coat to reduce ghosting and flare with sharper, clearer, high contrast photos and videos – as well as a Fluorine coated front element. Maintaining a lens is far simpler with these, although you’ll no doubt want to pack your Hurricane Blower and some ZEISS Lens Wipes in your bag.
What’s in the box
- Nikon Nikkor Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S Lens for Z Mount
- Front lens cap LC-K106 Lens Cap NEW
- Rear lens cap LF-N1 Lens Cap
- Lens hood HB-104 Lens Hood NEW
- Lens case CL-L3 Lens Case
- Strap LN-3 Strap for super-telephoto lens
Read more about the Nikon Z 800mm F6.3 lens in detail in our blog review, which includes more sample photos and a deep dive into features.
Nikon Nikkor Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S Lens Specifications
|Mount||Nikon Z Mount|
|Lens configuration||22 elements arranged into 14 groups|
|Focal length FX||800mm FX format|
|Focal length DX||1200mm DX format|
|Aperture control||Automatic aperture with electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism|
|9 bladed rounded design|
|VR||Yes (OFF / NORMAL / SPORT) Switch with camera body|
|Tripod use||NORMAL / SPORT recommended|
|Minimum focus range||5.0m from focal plane|
|External dimensions : Diameter x Length (approx.)||Approx. 140 x 385mm (based on CIPA guidelines)|
|Filter size||46mm (slip-in)|
|AF motor||STM (stepping motor)|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 140|
|Length (mm): 385|
|Weight (g): 2385|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: Yes|
|Focal length: 800|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: Yes|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 800|
|Maximum magnification: 0.16|
|Maximum aperture (number): 6.3|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 800|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 5|
|Minimum aperture (number): 32|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 9|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: 1 PF element, 3 extra-low dispersion (ED) elements and 1 Short-Wavelength Refractive (SR) element|
|Tripod collar: Yes|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
The Nikon Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S Lens is the real McCoy, offering the ability to handhold with outstanding results from the longest reach of any Z Mount lens. Nikon’s S-Line optics have proven themselves to perform admirably and the lens continues this tradition, with phenomenal resolving power, capturing the finest details in distant subjects.
It’s no coincidence that the lens follows hot on the heels of the Z9 camera, as the two are made for each other. The Z9 includes Synchro VR, which combines with optical VR in the Z 800mm to give users an impressive 5.5-stop advantage when handholding. The low weight and compact size of the 800mm is all about handholding, previously unheard of for a super telephoto focal width prime of this calibre. The rear weighting contributes to the light, comfortable shooting experience, perfect for adjusting composition quickly when capturing fast moving and erratic subjects.
For these types of subjects, Nikon’s STM performs brilliantly, moving swiftly and accurately across the frame and from front to back. Focusing is also extremely quiet, which is ideal for certain sporting events, wildlife and other situations when you’ll be using this super telephoto. The lens keeps on giving with comprehensive controls, excellent flare control thanks to the NANO crystal coat as well as high build quality and comprehensive weather seals. You’ll know if the Z 800mm is made for your style of shooting and will have already arranged your first shoot to experience the quality which it’s capable of delivering.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order. Lenses are optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements and optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.