Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS Mark II Lens
The new Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS Mark II Lens is sharper, faster and lighter and has been updated with four XD linear motors and incredible corner to corner high resolution along with new optical coatings.
- Ultra high resolution sharp results from corner to corner thanks to a range of special lens elements
- Four linear focus motors move two focus groups resulting in blisteringly quick AF performance
- Lightweight design weighing 435g less than its predecessor while retaining professional build quality
- Beautifully smooth backgrounds from a circular 11-blade aperture design with rounded bokeh effects
- Minimised focus breathing, de-click aperture and close minimum focus distance ideal for creative video capture
Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS Mark II Lens (SEL70200GM2) Summary
Say hello to the new updated Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS Mark II Lens, model number SEL70200GM2. It is an update to one of Sony’s most popular telephoto zooms for professional photographers and videographers with this Mark 2 G Master version delivering incredible sharpness, ultra fast AF performance from four XD linear motors and a 30% lighter design.
One of Sony’s three constant wide aperture holy trinity of full frame lenses, this telephoto excels at sports, wildlife, bird photography, portraits, weddings, landscapes and also video thanks to smooth, fast continuous autofocus performance with minimised focus breathing. It boasts professional ergonomics, new Direct Manual Focus, excellent contrast from new Nano AR Coating II, a closer focus distance and even more upgrades.
- Incredibly sharp results from special elements including an extreme aspherical XA lens
- Fast and accurate AF thanks to four XD (Extreme Dynamic) Linear Motors
- 30% faster autofocus tracking than the previous model
- Circular background bokeh defocus effects from an 11-bladed round aperture
- Excellent clarity and contrast with Sony’s new Nano AR Coating II
- Professional ergonomics with dust and moisture resistance
- Minimised focus breathing for video recording
- Lightweight 1045g design with full teleconverter compatibility
Despite shaving off significant weight over the original model, the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS Mark II lens is dust and moisture resistant, offers more controls and has full 1.4x Teleconverter and 2.0x Teleconverter compatibility. It also retains a 77mm filter thread so you can carry over your lens filters.
Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II Lens in More Detail
Incredibly sharp new optical design
Sony has incorporated 17 elements arranged in 14 groups with a new optical formula that delivers incredibly sharp results throughout the zoom range and from edge to edge. One XA (extreme aspherical) element is included along with two ED (Extra Low dispersion). There are also two Super ED and one newly developed ED aspherical element. These work together to ensure outstanding resolution in this f/2.8 telephoto lens with extremely high resolving power for those with high resolution Sony cameras.
Beautiful background separation
An 11-blade circular aperture on this 70-200mm lens creates beautiful circular background bokeh defocus effects with a large f/2.8 aperture. This makes for beautiful background separation regardless of whether you are shooting a portrait, wildlife subject or sports action. It also gives you the upper hand when shooting in low light situations with a constant aperture throughout the zoom.
Clear and high contrast results
Sony’s new Nano AR Coating II is applied to the element surface effectively minimising internal reflections so that flare and ghosting do not occur even under strong sunlight or backlighting. This makes for higher contrast and more clarity in difficult lighting scenarios.
Fast and Precise Autofocus Mechanism
Four XD (Extreme Dynamic) Linear Motors are included with a complex construction to deliver faster and more accurate focusing than conventional lenses. In fact AF on this new version is 4x faster than the mark 1! This is the case for both photography and videography so you will get a significantly higher hit rate with this telephoto zoom lens. Two focusing groups are also moved in virtual silence allowing you to shoot in quiet situations and to record video without focus noise. The lens also tracks moving subjects 30% quicker which will benefit to anyone shooting fast moving subjects. A new mode 3 on the OSS also adjusts the stabilisation system for erratic or quick movements.
Sony has retained a dust and moisture resistant design along with a series of versatile controls on the barrel allowing you to streamline your workflow and shoot indoors or outside in difficult conditions.
Refined for video
The 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS mark II lens offers minimised focus breathing with minimal focus and axis shift when zooming for refined imagery and video capture. When combined with the fast and silent AF system this is an amazing lens for video. There is also an aperture click switch to make completely silent aperture changes.
Minimum focus distance and tele macro
This lens has an incredibly short minimum focus distance at the wide end at just 0.4m (40cm) and offers an improved 0.3x magnification ratio. This enables you to shoot tele-macro style close-up images and video for gathering detail shots of wedding bands, flowers and other subjects.
Direct Manual Focus Switch
The inclusion of a Direct Manual Focus Switch will appeal to anyone shooting subjects which might be blocked by anything in front of them. Examples include animals and birds behind foliage, or a sporting event with where your chosen subject becomes obscured for a moment. You can now tweak manual focus and hit the precise point without missing a beat.
We have a Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS mark II Lens review for you along with a Mark I and Mark II specs comparison table.
- B+W 77mm XS-Pro 010 UV-Haze Filter With MRC Nano Coating - extremely high quality UV filter which reduced ultraviolet light and protects the front element
- B+W 77mm F-PRO Clear Protector Filter MRC - this simply protects without any filtration effect
- Hoya 77mm Fusion One Circular Polariser - Good quality CPL
- Polar Pro Peter Mc - This is perfect to compensate for bright light when shooting movies and wins awards for a reason!
Mounted on the Sony a9 II body focal length 200mm. Camera settings: 1/250sec. f/9. ISO 125.
Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS Mark II Lens Specifications
|Lens construction||17 elements in 14 groups|
|Aspherical element||XA 1 / Aspherical 1|
|ED Aspherical||ED Aspherical 1|
|ED Glass||Super ED 2 / ED 2|
|Min. focus distance||0.4m|
|Actuator||XD Linear Motor|
|Focus system||Internal focus, Floating|
|Zoom system||Internal zoom|
|Lens coating||Nano AR Coating II, Fluorine|
|Dimensions||Φ88 x 200 mm|
|Weight||1045g w/o tripod mount|
|Dust & Moisture proof||Yes|
With the advancement of camera technology, higher resolution sensors, lighter camera bodies and faster AF systems driven by AI it is inevitable that older lenses will be refreshed. With that in mind Sony has given us a veritable shopping list of updates to entice an upgrade to this superb full frame E-mount lens. It is sharper, faster and lighter than it’s predecessor and comes with numerous other worthy updates including closer minimum focus, greater magnification and Direct Manual Focus. The optical design has also advanced and now delivers extremely high resolution, with incredibly sharp details from corner to corner and throughout the zoom range.
Perhaps the most notable update in the 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS mark II lens is the inclusion of four linear focus motors. These move at a rapid rate in virtual silence, with significantly quick subject acquisition and tracking of moving subjects. When you consider the advancements in Face and Eye AF technology for which Sony is famed, this lens does a remarkable job keeping pace. You’ll see noticeably fast results, particularly when using high burst rate camera models like the alpha 1 or A9 II.
For those who capture movies with a telephoto there are improvements beyond the focus motors, including a reduction in focus breathing and axis shift. This provides refined results with sharp details aided by the optical stabilisation system. Regardless of whether you own the original or simply want this updated 70-200mm G Master lens, it is packed with the very best technology Sony has to offer us right now, which shows in the results.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.