Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens
The Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens is the world’s first standard zoom with 20mm at the wide end, offering spectacular performance, breathing compensation and compact proportions for stills and video creators.
- World’s first full-frame standard zoom lens with an ultra-wide 20mm focal width at the wide end of the range
- Fast, precise and quiet AF from two XD Linear Motors which is ideal for photography, moviemaking and vlogging
- Impressive optical performance with sharp results even when wide open at f/4 and throughout the entire zoom
- Great for all-day shooting thanks to a lightweight design, which also provides a compact 72mm filter thread
- Perfect for hybrid content creators and vloggers with great AF performance and reduced focus breathing
Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Ultra-Wide Zoom Lens (SEL2070G) Summary
Adding to the extensive range of options for Sony mirrorless cameras, is the unique Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens, which arrives as the world’s first full-frame standard zoom with 20mm at the wide end. This could be game changing for many photographers and hybrid shooters who need the extra focal width, not only for epic wide angle scenes, but to record handheld video and vlogs.
Sony ensured the design is compact, with a 72mm thread for lens filters, and lightweight at 488g, which is considerably lighter than even the second generation 24-70mm F/2.8 G Master II Lens. This is especially impressive for a standard zoom lens with an ultra-wide 20mm, which also packs high-quality optics and two XD Linear Focus Motors.
A constant f/4 aperture throughout the range and de-clickable aperture ring extend the opportunities for capturing video, whilst making this zoom a brilliant choice for subjects as diverse as landscapes, cityscapes and travel, as well as for portraits, weddings and events.
The lens feels familiar in the hand with refined ergonomics, in keeping with all newer Sony mirrorless lenses, and includes customisable buttons, that are nestled between the zoom and focus rings on the barrel.
Key Sony 20-70mm Lens Features
- First ever full-frame standard zoom with an ultra-wide 20mm
- Great portability with a compact and lightweight 488g design
- Impressive optical performance throughout the zoom range
- Two customisable buttons and a de-clickable aperture ring
- Reduced focus breathing
- Two XD Linear Motors provide fast, precise and quiet AF
- Dust and moisture resistant design with fluorine coated front element
- Accessible 72mm filter thread
- Versatile 30-105mm when mounted on APS-C format cameras
Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens (SEL2070G) in More Detail
Superb optical performance
Sony has created an optical layout which features 16 elements in 13 groups, which include typical high-quality elements which you might expect from a Sony G Lens. Notably there is an Extra low dispersion glass (ED) and an aspherical lens as well as internal focusing mechanism. These render well controlled aberrations and extremely sharp details throughout the focal range.
In its entirety the optical formula incudes: One ED (Extra Low Dispersion Aspherical), three ED, two AD (Advanced Aspherical) and one aspherical element, resulting in extremely high quality results.
Fast and precise autofocus for stills and video
You’ll never miss a shot thanks to two XD (Extreme Dynamic) Linear Motors with their complex construction deliver fast, accurate focusing for both filmmaking and photography. These focus motors are typically seen in Sony’s high-end G Master lenses, and provide fast higher thrust and quiet focus capabilities.
Constant f/4 aperture
A constant f/4 maximum aperture throughout the zoom range helps gather light and maintains brightness in your shots, even when you adjust focal lengths. Beautiful background defocus (bokeh) can also be achieved, thanks to a 9-bladed circular aperture.
Designed for all weather
The front element on the SEL2070G lens features a fluorine coating, which helps to repel water, oil and other contaminants, while making it easy to wipe off any dust or fingerprints. A dust and moisture-resistant design, along with versatile controls, makes this Sony G lens ideal to use in the most difficult scenarios, whether shooting indoors or outdoors.
Standard zoom Sony lenses
The latest model joins a range of existing ‘standard’ e-mount zoom options, including:
- Sony FE 24-70mm F/2.8 GM II Lens
- Sony FE 24-105mm F/4 G OSS Zoom Lens
- Sony FE 24-70mm F/2.8 GM Zoom Lens (first generation)
- Sony FE 24-70mm F/4 Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* ZA OSS Lens
What’s in the box
- Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Ultra-Wide Zoom Lens (SEL2070G)
- Petal shape, bayonet type lens hood ALC-SH 174
- 72mm Lens Cap ALC-F72S
- Rear lens cap ALC-R1EM
- Soft case
Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens Sample photos
All sample images were shot using the Sony A7 IV camera.
@52mm, camera settings: 1/800 sec. f/4. ISO 250
@20mm, camera settings: 1/320 sec. f/8. ISO 250
@70mm, camera settings: 1/60 sec. f/4. ISO 1000
Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens Specifications
|Format||35mm full frame|
|35mm equivalent focal-length (APS-C)||30-105|
|Lens Groups / Elements||13-16|
|Angle of view (APS-C)||70°-23°|
|Angle of View (35mm)||94°-34°|
|Maximum aperture (F)||4|
|Minimum Aperture (F)||22|
|Minimum Focus Distance||0.3(W)-0.25(T) (AF)|
|Minimum Focus Distance||0.99(W)-0.82(T) (AF)|
|Maximum Magnification ratio (x)||0.39|
|Filter Diameter (mm)||72|
|Offers: Trade In Bonus|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: Yes|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 79|
|Length (mm): 99|
|Weight (g): 488|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 20 - 70 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 70|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): 4|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 20|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): 22|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 9|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: 2 advanced aspherical, 3 ED, 1 ED Aspherical, 1 Aspherical|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
A standard focal width zoom lens is without a doubt one of the most versatile lenses you can own. In a bid to create a single lens which is even more useful, Sony has created the first ever ultra-wide FE 20-70mm f/4 G, which goes beyond the typical 24mm focal width in this category. What’s more, the 20-70mm is compact and light enough to be comfortably handheld for stills, video and vlogging, even for extended periods of use when shooting all day.
It delivers excellent results, with an optical formal capturing noticeable sharpness and clarity, able to render high-resolution details across the frame, which many Sony camera sensors demand. There’s little to distinguish the results you can get from this compact zoom, even when compared to G master optics, although you do gain an f/2.8 aperture in the professional line-up to separate your subject slightly farther from backgrounds. That said, the 20-70 lens includes a 9-bladed aperture opening, which rounds-off bokeh balls very nicely.
Two of Sony’s latest XD Linear Motors provide fast, quiet and confident AF, allowing you to smoothly track moving subjects across the frame and make the most of advanced subject tracking. If you shoot video or enjoy creating vlogs you will benefit from reduced focus breathing, along with the ability to manually adjust the aperture ring, which can also be de-clicked to support silent exposure adjustments.
Lens barrel controls are similar to the 24-70mm GM lens, with two customisable buttons, a zoom and focus ring. This lens also offers close minimum focus distances at both the wide and tele end of the zoom, as well as featuring comprehensive weather resistance for outdoor shooters. The icing on the cake is definitely the 20mm, which affords more creative opportunities to capture ultra-wide subjects with a single standard zoom lens.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order. Lenses are optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements and optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.