Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary Lens for Sony E
The Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary Lens for Sony E mount is a compact, lightweight and extremely versatile wide-angle zoom, which delivers professional results for stills and video creators.
- Surprisingly compact and lightweight ultra-wide zoom lens which delivers excellent results for stills and movies
- Harnesses Sony’s superb subject detection and AF tracking with silent and quick Stepping Motor technology
- The latest optical design renders sharp results from edge to edge together with minimal aberrations
- Robust build quality, weather resistant brass bayonet mount and excellent ergonomics for an enjoyable experience
- Well balanced design with internal focusing and inner zoom for gimbal use or run-and-gun videography
Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary Lens for Sony E Summary
Weighing just 450g, the Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary Lens for Sony E mirrorless cameras is a compact, lightweight and extremely versatile ultra-wide to wide-angle zoom. It features the latest mirrorless optics, with extremely sharp results throughout the range and delivers professional results for photographers, videographers and hybrid shooters.
A versatile 16-28mm zoom range provides plenty of opportunity to capture diverse subjects, from landscapes and architecture, to environmental portraits, wedding, travel, moviemaking and many more genres. This is supported by a bright f/2.8 constant aperture, fast and quiet focusing with Sigma’s Stepping Motor technology and robust build with weather resistance. You can also mount 72mm filters, essential for particular subjects, including ND filters for video, circular polarisers for landscape and of course square filter systems from Lee and other brands.
- Lightweight 450g ultra wide to wide zoom lens
- Inner zoom and Inner focus system
- Compatible with high-speed Sony autofocus systems
- Fast and quiet Stepping Motor
- 9-blade rounded diaphragm
- 16 elements in 11 groups, with 5 FLD and 4 aspherical lens elements
- Φ72mm front filter thread
- Support for DMF and AF+MF
- Super Multi-Layer Coating
- Focus Mode switch
- Petal-type lens hood (LH756-01)
- Mount with dust and splash-resistant structure
Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary Lens for Sony in More Detail
Uncompromising optical performance
Outstanding optics in the 16-28mm F2.8 DG DN | Contemporary ensure this an accomplished Sigma lens, which delivers superb results for both stills and video. Edge-to-edge sharpness is achieved through five FLD elements (similar to fluorite), whilst four aspherical lens elements reduce aberrations so that your images can show excellent character.
Two large-diameter aspherical lens elements and the five FLD glass elements help to keep the lens light and extremely compact, while suppressing lateral and vertical chromatic aberrations that can reduce image quality in some ultra-wide zoom lens designs.
Extremely compact form-factor
The Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary Lens for Sony E weighs just 450g and measures just 100.6mm long, making for a highly practical lens for Sony mirrorless cameras, which is portable for everyday shooting. This is ideal for landscape, wedding and travel photographers in particular, as they need to carry kit for long periods of time, and often for greater distances.
The 16-28mm F2.8 DG DN | C combines the portability of a compact zoom with high-definition optical performance which you get from a large-aperture lens.
Bright constant aperture
Although Sigma has several high-end Art lenses for Sony, this Contemporary model boasts an f/2.8 constant aperture, which gives a shallow depth-of-field and smooth out-of-focus areas. Bokeh is rounded thanks to the nine rounded diaphragm blades, with less distraction from the subject. Sigma has also taken extensive measures to reduce the effects of ghosting and lens flare, caused by reflections inside the lens barrel or backlit subjects. A proprietors Super Multi-Layer Coating ensures that the Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary Lens delivers impactful, high contrast results, even in the most difficult backlit conditions.
More freedom and better usability
The Sigma 16-28mm has a front filter thread, so you can easily add neutral density, polarising and other lens filters, especially useful for landscape photographers and film-makers. An inner zoom mechanism maintains the same length throughout the entire zoom range with almost no shift to balance. This delivers stability perfect for gimbals or for run-and-gun videos and hand-held vlogging and helps to maintain the lens’ small 100.6mm size.
Focusing is fast and silent thanks to the stepping motor, making it ideal for shooting in quiet environments such as weddings and when using an on-camera microphone when recording video.
Great build quality with intuitive ergonomics
Specially selected lightweight materials have been used throughout, including Thermally Stable Composite (TSC), which is a polycarbonate with a thermal contraction rate similar to that of aluminium. This, together with a high-precision, durable brass bayonet mount, allows the lens to be used even in harsh environments regardless of high and low temperatures. You can expect excellent durability, with Japanese craftsmanship coupled with Sigma’s rigorous quality control.
What’s in the box
- Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary Lens for Sony E mount
- Petal-type lens hood (LH756-01)
- Front Cap (LCF-72 III)
- Rear Cap (LCRII)
Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary Lens for Sony E Specifications
- Lens construction: 11 groups, 16 elements (5 FLD and 4 aspherical elements) Angle-of-view: 107°–75.4°
- Number of diaphragm blades: 9 (rounded diaphragm)
- Minimum aperture: F22
- Minimum focusing distance: 25cm
- Maximum magnification ratio: 1:5.6
- Filter size: φ72mm
- Dimensions (max diameter x length): φ77.2mm x 100.6mm
- Weight: 450g
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 77|
|Length (mm): 101|
|Weight (g): 450|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 16 - 28 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 28|
|Maximum magnification: 0.18|
|Maximum aperture (number): 2.8|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 16|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.25|
|Minimum aperture (number): 22|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 9|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: 5 FLD, 4 aspherical|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
The 16-28mm F2.8 DG DN Contemporary lens is both sophisticated and versatile, providing a blend of portability and performance for photographers and videographers. The ultra wide zoom range is ideal for any number of shooting situations, supported by the ability to add filters, fast AF performance and of course the compact nature of this particular mirrorless design. It pairs perfectly with the Sigma 28-70mm F/2.8 DG DN Contemporary, enabling creators to cover ultra-wide to medium telephoto focal lengths with just two bright aperture lenses. Combined, they weigh just 920g, with this 16-28mm f/2.8 being a hair lighter at 450g.
Despite the size and weight you can expect excellent results from Sigma’s advanced mirrorless optical design. They’ve packed several special lens elements in, which render superb clarity, detail and resolution, as required with many Sony camera bodies. Ghosting and flare is also well controlled, perfect for shooting backlit subjects, whether that be portraits or landscapes and the included lens hood helps further reduce extraneous light from ruining any shots.
Sigma seems to have thought of every aspect with this Contemporary model, having included weather sealing on a brass mount, filter compatibility as well as internal focusing and zooming mechanisms to maintain balance. Whether you’re a vlogger, photographer or movie maker this lens covers every wide-angle and is sure to impress those who add this to their kit bag.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.