Leica Vario Elmarit SL 24-90mm f/2.8-4 ASPH Lens Black Anodised
The Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm in black anodised finish is a versatile full-frame L-mount lens with 4 aspherical elements for exceptional results throughout the zoom range from wide to short tele.
- High quality optical design delivers precise and well controlled images throughout the zoom range
- Versatile focal range for a broad range of subjects which is further than most standard zooms
- 30 cm close focus ability adds yet more flexibility to shooting styles with more options
- Built-in optical stabilisation compensates with 3.5 stops of compensation for hand holding
- Excellent sharp results achieved throughout the range by a complex optical formula
Leica VARIO-ELMARIT-SL 24-90mm f/2.8-4 ASPH Lens Black Anodised Summary
Leica SL lenses are full-frame AF lenses designed for professional needs. They are designed with the highest image performance at every aperture and focal distance. The new Leica SL Auto-focus is the fastest AF available for full-frame system cameras, with silent and precise AF. All SL lenses have an AquaDura hydrophobic coating on the outer elements as well as being sealed to protect from dust and water.
Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24–90 f/2.8-4 ASPH.
With a particularly versatile focal length from 24 mm - 90 mm the Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24–90 f/2.8-4 ASPH. is discrete, precise and comes with extremely quick autofocus. It also includes Leica Optical Image Stabilisation, which compensates for up to 3.5 stops of camera shake. The lens offers an excellent close focus distance at 0.3 m for added versatility and remains compact and lightweight, particularly for the focal range it provides.
- Fast, almost-silent and precise focusing from a new system with stepping motor and linear positioning
- Excellent results from a complex optical design which includes 4x aspherical and 11x anomalous partial dispersion elements
- Electronically controlled aperture
- 3.5 stops optical stabilisation
- AquaDura® coating as well as reliable weather sealing
The universal capabilities of this lens are underlined by a rounded performance at all focal lengths and distances, particularly when mounted on cameras such as the high resolution Leica SL2 and fast SL2-S. Only one very element is moved for focusing and the length of the lens remains unchanged during focusing. 18 elements arranged in 15 groups are responsible for optics, with a number of aspherical and partial dispersal elements taking care of sharpness and aberrations.
The rectangular form of the lens hood supplied with the lens very effectively suppresses undesirable reflections and stray light. Robust and resilient construction, impermeable seals and AquaDura® coating of exposed glass surfaces make the lens ideal for use in even the toughest working conditions.
Leica VARIO-ELMARIT-SL 24-90 f/2.8-4 ASPH. lens Specifications
L-Mount, full-frame 35 mm format
Angle of View (diagonal, horizontal, vertical)
Focal length 24mm: 82.4°/72.1°/51.8°
Focal length 90mm: 27.8°/23.3°/15.7
Number of lenses/groups
Number of asph. surfaces / lenses
Focal length 24 mm: 173 x 260 mm
focal length 90 mm: 92 x 137 mm
Largest reproduction ratio
Focal length 24 mm: 1:7.2
focal length 90 mm: 1:3.8
Electronically controlled aperture, set using turn/push wheel on camera, including half and third values
Aperture setting range
Focal length 24mm: 2.8-22; focal length 90mm: 4-22
|Offer Category: Camera Lenses|
|Offer Product Type: L Mount Lenses|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: N/A|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 88|
|Length (mm): 138|
|Weight (g): 1140|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 24 - 90 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: Yes|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 90|
|Maximum magnification: 0.14|
|Maximum aperture (number): 2.8|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 24|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.3|
|Minimum aperture (number): 22|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: 4 aspherical|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Typically ‘standard zooms’ offer users with a 24-70mm range, however Leica has broken the mould by adding 20mm on top with the Vario-Elmarit-SL 24–90 f/2.8-4 ASPH. lens. It offers users extremely fast AF without the lens extending, in part thanks to a single moving focus element. Results are superb too, with sharp images captured from corner to corner across the entire zoom range. Anyone considering this lens will also benefit from a very short 30 cm close focus length at 24mm, which does open up a number of possibilities for tele-macro style shooting with a reproduction ratio of 1:3.8 at the telephoto end.
Leica lenses are notorious for rendering excellent colours along with fine detail and high resolving power and this 24–90 f/2.8-4 model is no different. This is good news as new sensors are capable of around 50 megapixels in Leica’s range of mirrorless L-mount cameras. Optical stabilisation further helps to achieve the sharpest results possible and adds the icing on the cake for a well rounded and very competent standard zoom lens.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.