Leica SL2 Mirrorless Camera Body
- Ultra high resolution camera with high resolving standard zoom lens kit for a variety of subjects
- Extremely detailed results from Aspherical (ASPH.) lens with 47MP sensor
- High quality camera and lens kit for both stills and videography with quiet and fast AF system
- High resolution bright EVF and LCD enable effortless stills and video capture
- Legendary Leica build quality with discreet black anodised finish for years of enjoyable service
Leica SL2 Mirrorless Camera Summary
- Designed and crafted in Germany
- Streamlined design with new status menus
- Improved ergonomics for stress-free shooting in any situation
- CMOS sensor with 47 megapixels for superior image quality
- New Leica Object Detection Autofocus
- In-body stabilization through sensor-shift technology
- Leica EyeRes® viewfinder with 5.7MP resolution
- Maestro III processor for ultra-fast operation
- Perfect tool for cinematographers
- L-Mount bayonet
Leica SL2 Mirrorless Camera in Detail
Meet a new icon in the world of mirrorless technology and discover the most advanced professional photography systems on the market.
Revolutionised image quality
The SL2’s brand new full-frame CMOS sensor features 47.3 megapixels (almost double of the original SL) and was designed to minimise stray light by using only two glass surfaces: an RGB filter and a UV/IR filter. This design enables the maximum amount of light to reach the sensor, contributing to the SL2’s incredible image performance in all lighting conditions.
With an improved sensor, the new SL2 needed to be fitted with an upgraded processor. The new Maestro III processor is just that. Specifically developed for the SL2, this processor was made to capture fast-moving subjects and can do so at a consecutive exposure rate of up to 20 frames per second.
A brand-new addition to the SL2 is the new multi-axis in-body stabiliser, which allows you use slower shutter speeds and longer lenses without the use of a tripod. This adds to the SL2’s perfect portability, a key advantage unmatched by photography and cinematography equipment of this calibre.
Made for Video
The SL2 is the first complete mirrorless system made to fully cater to both photography and videography professionals. A completely redesigned user interface menu allows you to switch between photo and video modes, giving instant access to only the relevant settings. All settings within video mode are video-specific, essentially making the SL2 two entirely separate cameras combined in a single body. Furthermore, Cine Mode allows you to change the exposure terminology to that used in the cinematography industry (ie: F-Stops turn to T-Stops, ISO to ASA).
The SL2 has the ability to shoot video in 4k resolution at 60 fps using the full sensor size, making it comparable to top-of-the-line cinema equipment and allowing you to screen footage at maximum resolution even on the biggest movie screens. At 30 fps, the SL2 is even capable of 5k resolution at a 4:3 ratio.
Both card slots of the SL2 are now UHS-II compatible. This enables 4K at 30fps in 10bit (4:2:2) to be recorded directly to the internal memory cards, without the need for an external recorder. This makes the SL2 particularly versatile when shooting on-location and on the go. In-built headphone and mic jacks are complemented by a fully-fledged HDMI connector should an external monitor be required, no adapter necessary.
A significant milestone in technological advancement is brought to light in the SL2’s new autofocus. Set up with 225 autofocus metering fields and state-of-the-art face and body detection, getting a razor-sharp image of moving subjects has never been easier. Additionally to the classic AFc and AFs, the SL2’s iAF mode can be deployed to independently decide which AF mode best matches your needs.
There are now four fully customisable autofocus profiles. The Wildlife profile, for instance, caters to unpredictable movements and will automatically lower the autofocus’ depth-sensitivity responsiveness to account for subjects becoming obscured by their natural habitat.
With a new, advanced sensor and improved processor, the SL2 takes it yet another step further in low-light performance. The ISO range of 50-50,000 covers an array of lighting scenarios and the 14-stop dynamic range allows you to push shadows without blowing out highlights in post-production.
Further to that, the SL2’s electronic viewfinder was made to excel in any kind of lighting condition. The improved EyeRes viewfinder was cast out of a combination of glass and metal and features a medium format like magnification and a 5.76-megapixel resolution, making it the most immersive electronic viewfinder on the market today. With the option to change the refresh rate of the EVF up to 120fps, even quick panning movements maintain a steady image.
The ability to turn off automatic noise-reduction allows you to fire off one long exposure after the other without delay between shots.
In addition to the newly separated menus for still and moving images, the SL2 features a completely redesigned menu interference which has been streamlined to three buttons to the rear (a design users of other Leica systems will be familiar with), and a further five fully customisable buttons to easily access your favourite functions.
The rear LCD monitor is 3.5 inches and has 2.1 megapixels. Gorilla glass makes the display resistant to fingerprints and scratches while allowing full touch controls for menu navigation and autofocusing.
Evolution of design
The top and bottom plates of the SL2 are made of a single plate of machine-cut aluminium while the body is made of die-cast magnesium, putting longevity and durability at the heart of the design. The original SL’s leatherette has been used to cover the full extent of the body, improving the camera’s grip. A finger-recess on the front of the grip further enhances the camera’s ease of holding, additionally supported by a body that is lighter than its predecessor.
Sealed with an official IP54 rating, the SL2 can withstand water spray from all directions and can be used in extreme weather conditions of -10 to +40 degrees Celsius.
In the SL2’s new Multishot mode, the camera records up to 8 frames and merges them together to create a super-high-resolution DNG file of 187 megapixels.
The SL lens catalogue currently features eight individual lenses, with focal lengths ranging from 16mm to 280mm, with more in development. With the SL2’s native L-Mount, its range of compatible lenses is further expanded by 6 lenses in the Leica TL lens catalogue and a wide array of lenses as part of the L-Mount alliance.
Through specialised adapters, the SL2 can also mount over 70 Leica M lenses, 16 Leica S lenses, 51 Leica R lenses and the full range of Leica Cine lenses.
Leica FOTOS App and firmware updates
The SL2 is fully compatible with the Leica FOTOS App for iOS and Android, allowing you to control the SL2 directly from your smartphone or using your device as a portable live screen.
With regular updates to the App as well as the camera’s native firmware, technological advances to your SL2 are guaranteed on a regular basis and backed by a team of support technicians.
|Offers: Bundle Offer
|Offer Category: Digital Cameras
|Offer Product Type: Mirrorless Cameras
|Model: Leica SL2
|AE Bracketing: N/A
|Autofocus Modes: N/A
|Articulated Screen: N/A
|Aperture priority: Yes
|Built-in flash: N/A
|Battery Life (CIPA): 370
|Camera CIPA image stabilization rating: N/A
|Continuous drive (fps): 20.0
|Custom white balance: Yes
|Digital zoom: N/A
|Effective pixels (megapixels): 47
|Environmental Sealing: N/A
|Exposure compensation: N/A
|External flash: Yes
|Flash range (metres): N/A
|Focal length (equiv.): N/A
|Focal length multiplier: 1.00
|Flash modes: N/A
|HDMI Port: N/A
|Headphone port: Yes
|Height (mm): 107
|Length (mm): N/A
|Width (mm): 146
|Weight (g): N/A
|Weight (inc. batteries) (g): 835
|Image ratio w:h: N/A
|Camera Image stabilization: N/A
|ISO: Auto, 100 - 50000 (expands to 50 - 50000)
|JPEG quality levels: N/A
|Live view: Yes
|Camera Lens mount: N/A
|Manual exposure mode: Yes
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic): N/A
|Maximum ISO: 50000
|Maximum ISO (boosted): N/A
|Max resolution: N/A
|Maximum shutter speed (seconds): N/A
|Maximum aperture: N/A
|Manual focus: Yes
|Microphone port: Yes
|Camera Minimum focus distance (cm): N/A
|Minimum ISO: 100
|Minimum ISO (boosted): 50
|Minimum macro focus distance (cm): N/A
|Minimum shutter speed (seconds): N/A
|Metering modes: N/A
|Number of focus points: 225
|Number of white balance presets: 8
|Optical zoom multiplier: N/A
|Orientation sensor: Yes
|Other resolutions: N/A
|Processor: Maestro III
|Remote control: N/A
|Screen dots: 2100000
|Screen size: N/A
|Screen type: N/A
|Shutter priority: Yes
|Sensor photo detectors (megapixels): N/A
|Sensor size: N/A
|Sensor type: N/A
|Storage types: N/A
|Subject / scene modes: N/A
|Timelapse recording: Yes
|Camera Type: N/A
|Uncompressed format: N/A
|Camera USB: N/A
|USB charging: N/A
|Viewfinder coverage: N/A
|Viewfinder magnification: N/A
|Viewfinder resolution: 5760000
|Viewfinder type: N/A
|Video formats: N/A
|Video Mode Categories: N/A
|Video Modes: N/A
|WB Bracketing: N/A
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order. Lenses are optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements and optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.
Peace of mind with our 6 month warranty
This product has been thoroughly tested by our team of photographers and we are happy to give a 6 month warranty as a result. The number of tests depends on the individual product but we are confident in this product having tested all the major functions. Anything that isn’t as you would expect, we then make a note of and show this in the condition notes on the page.
So you can be confident you are buying a great piece of kit that’s been looked after by a fellow photographer and seen many extraordinary sights, tested by our team of photographers and now looking forward to being set free to capture more great images!