Leica SL2 Mirrorless Camera Body
The new full-frame Leica SL2 mirrorless body introduces a host of features including a newly designed aluminium & magnesium body, 47MP CMOS sensor, high res crystal clear EVF and a new rear LCD panel.
- Stylish minimalist design with updated ergonomics
- First rate build quality with aluminium and magnesium construction
- High resolution 5.75MP EVF for ultra clear viewing
- Multi-axis in-body stabilisation system
- High resolution sensor with unique light filtering
Leica SL2 Mirrorless Camera Body
The new Leica SL2 body has been released, four years after the previous version mirrorless camera was announced. It hosts a brand new cleverly designed high resolution 47MP CMOS sensor, which minimises stray light reflections and provides almost twice the resolution of the previous camera. This amount of pixels lend themselves to large, professional quality printing as well as the opportunity to crop images, creating the precise composition required without sacrificing image size.
The most immediate difference from the previous camera body is the updated design, with Leica's classic minimalistic approach being even further developed. Build quality remains impeccable with the entire top cover section of the camera being machined from a siangle block of solid aluminium. This allows the casing to retain a rigid, compact form whilst providing improved ergonomics and being easier to grip. The entire SL2 body is covered in a stylish leather wrap also improving grip and handling over the previous smooth finished body in the SL mirrorless range. It is worth noting that this is the only mirrorless camera available on the market today entirely designed and manufactured in Germany.
Features at a glance
- Improved ergonomics and stress-free shooting
- 47 megapixels CMOS sensor
- New Leica Object Detection Autofocus
- Sensor-shift in-body stabilisation
- High resolution Leica EyeRes® viewfinder with 5.7MP
- Maestro III processor with ultra-fast operation
- Excellent option for cinematographers
- L-Mount lens compatibility
Leica L-mount lenses offer access to a growing number of highly acclaimed L series choices and we are seeing even more high quality lenses being introduced from all three members of the Leica, Panasonic and Sigma alliance. With optional mount adapters there are now up to 170 lens options for the Leica SL2 camera, including legendary M,S and R system models. This makes for an extremely versatile ecosystem with endless options covering all styles of photography.
Leica SL2 camera body in more detail
Leica has further improved usability with a completely updated rear panel, which now hosts a large LCD screen and three button layout (similar to the rangefinder-style Leica M10). These buttons provide ready access to playback, quick function menu and the main camera menu. The menu system itself has also been updated, now clearly distinguishing between photo and video settings, as this camera is designed to excel at both. There is more about updated video features below.
Further enhancements include a multi-axis in-body stabilisation system. This works exceptionally well with non-stabilised prime lenses, ensuring more keepers through the continual alignment of glass elements with the sensor. The SL2 records data in Leica DNG RAW format and still provides an excellent 50-50,000 ISO range. The new sensor also boasts 14 stops of dynamic range providing extra detail not only from the higher resolution, but within deep shadows and bright highlights, all from one dynamic frame. The EVF, which is called EyeRes® is also new, with a high resolution 5.75MP glass design for crystal clear viewing. With this level of resolution it is becoming harder to distinguish between optical viewfinders and EVF’s.
Despite the increased sensor resolution this camera is certainly no slouch and overall speed has been improved with the new Maestro III processing engine. The body is now capable of up to 20fps continuous shooting, perfect for capturing the precise moment. Autofocus utilises Leica’s Object Detection advanced AF system for quick and highly accurate results. A new multi-shot high resolution function has been introduced, which can capture stills by combining images at up to 187MP of incredibly rich and detailed photographs.
Video users producing movie content will be pleased to learn that the Leica SL2 is dual-designed for video as well as stills photography. Dedicated microphone and headphone jacks have been added without the need for any adaptors. Movies can be recorded in 4K at 60fps and 5K at 30fps as well as ultra high speed 180fps in Full HD mode for slow motion playback. HDMI recording is introduced at 10 bitrate, with 8/10 bitrate recording onto high speed SD cards. A new cine mode automatically adjusts camera settings when shooting in manual, adjusting the camera to adopt cine-specific functions such as ASA (from ISO) and T-stop aperture with a SUMMILUX-C cine lens attached. Recording modes include Video gamma (HDTV) L-Log and HLG, providing ultra high definition recording and more post processing options for footage.
Other notable upgrades for this new version include convenient USB charging of the BP-SCL4 high capacity lithium ion battery. The camera also easily pairs with your mobile device. This will prove particularly beneficial with the pending update to Leica’s Fotos app, with new features for smartphones and tablets allowing remote camera control, large image reviewing and more useful features.
|Offers: Free Gift|
|Offer Category: Digital Cameras|
|Offer Product Type: Mirrorless Cameras|
|Model: Leica SL2|
|AE Bracketing: N/A|
|Autofocus Modes: N/A|
|Articulated Screen: N/A|
|Aperture priority: Yes|
|Built-in flash: N/A|
|Battery Life (CIPA): 370|
|Camera CIPA image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Continuous drive (fps): 20.0|
|Custom white balance: Yes|
|Digital zoom: N/A|
|Effective pixels (megapixels): 47|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Exposure compensation: N/A|
|External flash: Yes|
|Flash range (metres): N/A|
|Focal length (equiv.): N/A|
|Focal length multiplier: 1.00|
|Flash modes: N/A|
|HDMI Port: N/A|
|Headphone port: Yes|
|Height (mm): 107|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Width (mm): 146|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Weight (inc. batteries) (g): 835|
|Image ratio w:h: N/A|
|Camera Image stabilization: N/A|
|ISO: Auto, 100 - 50000 (expands to 50 - 50000)|
|JPEG quality levels: N/A|
|Live view: Yes|
|Camera Lens mount: N/A|
|Manual exposure mode: Yes|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic): N/A|
|Maximum ISO: 50000|
|Maximum ISO (boosted): N/A|
|Max resolution: N/A|
|Maximum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Maximum aperture: N/A|
|Manual focus: Yes|
|Microphone port: Yes|
|Camera Minimum focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum ISO: 100|
|Minimum ISO (boosted): 50|
|Minimum macro focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Metering modes: N/A|
|Number of focus points: 225|
|Number of white balance presets: 8|
|Optical zoom multiplier: N/A|
|Orientation sensor: Yes|
|Other resolutions: N/A|
|Processor: Maestro III|
|Remote control: N/A|
|Screen dots: 2100000|
|Screen size: N/A|
|Screen type: N/A|
|Shutter priority: Yes|
|Sensor photo detectors (megapixels): N/A|
|Sensor size: N/A|
|Sensor type: N/A|
|Storage types: N/A|
|Subject / scene modes: N/A|
|Timelapse recording: Yes|
|Camera Type: N/A|
|Uncompressed format: N/A|
|Camera USB: N/A|
|USB charging: N/A|
|Viewfinder coverage: N/A|
|Viewfinder magnification: N/A|
|Viewfinder resolution: 5760000|
|Viewfinder type: N/A|
|Video formats: N/A|
|Video Mode Categories: N/A|
|Video Modes: N/A|
|WB Bracketing: N/A|
Leica are world renowned for producing high quality camera equipment steeped in tradition, yet offering innovative functionality together with their unique and understated design language. The new SL2 mirrorless body continues in that tradition with a completely redesigned metal body and improved ergonomics, which will appeal to experienced Leica users as well as newcomers to the system. A new high resolution sensor, updated EVF and simplified rear panel provide easy to use and intuitive shooting of both stills and video.
With huge 47MP to play with, large prints or image cropping are now readily available. This will appeal to many photographers with more versatile shooting capabilities as well as enthusiast and professional print production. In-body image stabilisation assist photographers and videographers in capturing the best possible images using any of the 170 lenses available to this system. For those wanting German minimalist design and first class build quality there are very few competitors to Leica.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.