Leica SL2-S Mirrorless Camera Body
The new Leica SL2-S Camera Body boasts hybrid stills and video capabilities with a brand new 24MP sensor, 4K/30p 10bit 4:2:2 internal recording, 25fps in electronic shutter and in-body stabilisation.
- Excellent video capabilities with 4K/30p 10bit 4:2:2 internal recording with no time limit and 4K/60p through HDMI
- Newly designed back illuminated 24MP full frame CMOS sensor provides rich, detailed stills
- Impressive low light performance with 5.5 stops of built-in stabilisation and ISO 100,000
- Dual high speed UHS-II SD card slots capture data quickly, keeping up with video and 25fps DNG files
- 'Made in Germany’ quality with a durable milled aluminium all-metal body and IP54 weather protection
Leica SL2-S Mirrorless Camera Body Summary
The Leica SL2-S body is the new full frame mirrorless L mount camera designed with impressive hybrid photo and video capabilities. It is the lower resolution sibling of the popular 47MP SL2 camera and comes with a brand new 24MP CMOS-BIS sensor and two separate modes for photo and video. This newer Leica model offers the best of both stills and video worlds, from an all-metal, weather sealed durable body. The camera capitalises on Leica’s signature look plus compatibility with a growing range of excellent quality full frame L-mount lenses from the Sigma, Lumix and Leica alliance.
Features at a glance
- New 24 megapixel CMOS-BSI (back-illuminated) full-frame sensor
- 25fps electronic shutter, 9fps mechanical shutter with 4GB (999 shot) buffer
- Up to ISO 100,000
- Multishot Mode up to 96MP image
- Video recording with 4K at 30p 10bit 4:2:2 / C4k at 30p 10bit 4:2:2 (internal) and 4K at 60p 10bit 4:2:2 / C4k at 60p 10bit 4:2:2 via external video recorder through full size HDMI
- Endless filming with no time limit
- Full integration in Capture One 21 including tethered shooting
- Made in Germany: Milled aluminium top cover and bottom plate
- IP54 protection and -10° C minimum operating temperature
- 5-axis in-body image stabilisation
- Two high speed UHS-II SD card slots
- External light sensor for M-Lens support and sensor stack fully compatible with Leica M-Lenses
Regardless of lighting conditions the Leica keeps up due to an impressive ISO capability along with in-body stabilisation. Photographers also gain the first camera ever to capture Adobe-DNG files at impressive burst speeds of 25fps in electronic shutter mode or 9fps in mechanical shutter thanks to the quick Maestro III processor. This allows the SL2-S to be perfectly suited for photography and videography across multiple genres, from portraits and street photography to landscapes and night photography as well as sports and wildlife.
Leica SL2-S in More Detail
- Unique L-Log movie recording with two viewing LUTs for EVF/LCD monitor or for external HDMI monitor.
- Full frame 35mm C4K (17:9) 4096x2160 pixels, sensor range 6000x3168 pixels
- Full frame 35mm 4K (16:9) 3840x2160 pixels, sensor range 6000x3368 pixels
- 5,76MP EyeRes viewfinder with unique and easy operating diopter adjustment
- Display on the shoulder of the camera with quick confirmation of most vital settings
- Full sized HDMI connector
- Intuitive and user-friendly user interface concentrating on essential menu items separated into photo and video functions
- Easy to operate, secure and fast battery release mechanism
- Leica M, R and S-lens compatibility via an optional adapter
- Full sized Type A HDMI 2.0 input
Planned Firmware Update
- A firmware update is coming in the first half of 2021 which will upgrade the following features on the Leica SL2-S:
- New Autofocus algorithm with improved eye/face/head/body recognition and focus tracking
- Internal 10 Bit 4K/60p & 50p with HEVC video compression (h.265)
- Long-GOP recording for 10 Bit codecs with 150 - 200 MB/s (same Image Quality as All-Intra, less than half of data volume)
- Segmented Video (1 minute segments to avoid data loss)
- Individual Viewing-LUT upload function
- Enhanced Live View for better low light image composition control
- Image Overlay. Allows alignment of the camera position on basis of a previous taken image, that is displayed in a transparent mode in the EVF or on the LCD.
- Automatic Follow Focus operation
- Wave form monitor for professional exposure control
- Color bar with audio signal as reference for correct colour grading and sound control in postproduction
- Tally Mode
- No low pass filter for sharper results
- 14 Bit and 12 Bit colour depth in Adobe DNG
- Bluetooth, WiFi and Leica Fotos app connectivity
What’s in the box
- Leica SL2-S fullframe camera
- Carrying strap
- Bayonet cover
- Charger & Cables
- Quick start guide
- 3 Months Adobe Lightroom subscription
|Offer Category: Digital Cameras|
|Offer Product Type: Mirrorless Cameras|
|Model: Leica SL2-S|
|AE Bracketing: N/A|
|Autofocus Modes: N/A|
|Articulated Screen: N/A|
|Aperture priority: N/A|
|Built-in flash: N/A|
|Battery Life (CIPA): N/A|
|Camera CIPA image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Continuous drive (fps): N/A|
|Custom white balance: N/A|
|Digital zoom: N/A|
|Effective pixels (megapixels): N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Exposure compensation: N/A|
|External flash: N/A|
|Flash range (metres): N/A|
|Focal length (equiv.): N/A|
|Focal length multiplier: N/A|
|Flash modes: N/A|
|HDMI Port: N/A|
|Headphone port: N/A|
|Height (mm): 216|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Width (mm): 686|
|Weight (g): 19595|
|Weight (inc. batteries) (g): N/A|
|Image ratio w:h: N/A|
|Camera Image stabilization: N/A|
|JPEG quality levels: N/A|
|Live view: N/A|
|Camera Lens mount: N/A|
|Manual exposure mode: N/A|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic): N/A|
|Maximum ISO: N/A|
|Maximum ISO (boosted): N/A|
|Max resolution: N/A|
|Maximum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Maximum aperture: N/A|
|Manual focus: N/A|
|Microphone port: N/A|
|Camera Minimum focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum ISO: N/A|
|Minimum ISO (boosted): N/A|
|Minimum macro focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Metering modes: N/A|
|Number of focus points: N/A|
|Number of white balance presets: N/A|
|Optical zoom multiplier: N/A|
|Orientation sensor: N/A|
|Other resolutions: N/A|
|Remote control: N/A|
|Screen dots: N/A|
|Screen size: N/A|
|Screen type: N/A|
|Shutter priority: N/A|
|Sensor photo detectors (megapixels): N/A|
|Sensor size: N/A|
|Sensor type: N/A|
|Storage types: N/A|
|Subject / scene modes: N/A|
|Timelapse recording: N/A|
|Camera Type: N/A|
|Uncompressed format: N/A|
|Camera USB: N/A|
|USB charging: N/A|
|Viewfinder coverage: N/A|
|Viewfinder magnification: N/A|
|Viewfinder resolution: N/A|
|Viewfinder type: N/A|
|Video formats: N/A|
|Video Mode Categories: N/A|
|Video Modes: N/A|
|WB Bracketing: N/A|
Leica users looking to upgrade from the SL or join from S or M-series cameras will be sorely tempted by the newer SL2-S body. Not only does it arrive with familiar Leica design and build quality, but also packs impressive levels of hybrid stills and video capabilities. Low light performance is excellent whether shooting images at 24MP (and the 96MP multi-shot option) or 4K video. Native 4.2.2 colour depth is impressive for internal movie recording and two LUT’s allow content creators to shoot with L-Log and view accurate colour whether recording in-camera or externally. Pending firmware updates will facilitate 4K/60p internal recording along with a number of other upgrades, making for a truly special hybrid content creators tool.
Discerning photographers who love the Leica ecosystem will be impressed by the familiar intuitive ergonomics of the SL2-S. We also love that medium format S lenses, M lenses, L mount and even R lenses can all be used on Leica’s full frame mirrorless platform, natively in the case of L-mount or with an adapter for other series. This flexibility, durability and desirable Leica styling with unique results, combine to confirm the value of their cameras and lenses to those invested in their system. In the case of the SL2-S a durable metal camera body comes with IP54 weather protection as well as a bright info panel at the top of the body. Leica has also streamlined their menus allowing users to quickly change between stills and video settings. All this comes with no time constraints for video recording and no overheating, as well as a 4GB buffer to support high speed shooting. We think this is all very impressive indeed and are sure users switching from DSLR or upgrading will certainly be considering this Leica as an option.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order. Lenses are optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements and optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.