Canon RF 100mm f2.8 L Macro IS USM lens
The Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro Lens delivers mirrorless innovations for creatives with world's first 1.4x magnification, 26cm close focus, Dual Nano USM motors and a spherical aberration control ring
Currently out of stock with no accurate expected delivery
Earn 1479 Park Points
Finance available See options
Trade in & Trade up
Looking to trade in your photo equipment? Get a quote now!
Chat with a Canon product specialist about this productChat now
- World’s first 1.4x macro capabilities on any interchangeable lens camera
- Innovative bokeh adjustment with an SA control ring for creative portraits
- Highly competent in low light with a bright f/2.8 aperture and up to 8-stop hybrid image stabilisation
- Two near silent Nano USM motors provide swift AF with minimal focus breathing
- Close focus capability down to 26cm for exceptional macro compositions
Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens Summary
The Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens delivers a number of innovations for full frame Canon mirrorless camera users, with outstanding image quality at up to 1.4x magnification. This is a world-first enabling photographers to create close-up images with the subject even larger in the frame at close distances of just 0.26m. A lockable SA (spherical aberration) control ring can also be used to create enticing portraits with complete creative freedom at this short telephoto distance. The SA control ring enables photographers to choose between harder ‘bubble bokeh’ and softer rounded bokeh, as well as create instantaneous soft focus effects. Dual Nano USM focus motors provide fast, near silent AF whilst videographers benefit from extremely well controlled focus breathing.
- World first 1.4x macro magnification
- Lockable spherical aberration control ring to control bokeh and defocus effects
- Bright f/2.8 aperture
- Dual Nano USM focus motors
- 5-stops Hybrid Image Stabilisation and up to 8 stops in combination with camera stabilisation
- Lens Control Ring to change settings while still viewing the subject
- Excellent video lens with suppressed focus breathing
An advanced optical design employs 17 elements arranged in 13 groups which have Canon’s Super Spectra coating to improve image quality. The lens has excellent build quality and has also been weather sealed as we expect from professional L-series models. Photographers gain 5 stops of shake compensation from the IS, or those using cameras like the EOS R5 will enjoy up to 8 stops of hybrid shake compensation in combination with IBIS.
Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens in More Detail
Spherical Aberration Control Ring
The RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro features a Spherical Aberration (SA) Control mechanism to adjust out of focus bokeh areas, both in front and behind the subject. Users can also produce soft-focus effects on the subject itself for even more creative freedom. An additional control ring on the lens is used to drive an electronic cam that actuates the focusing and floating lens groups independently. This is achieved through the two Nano USM motors changing their location from infinity to close-up whilst also changing spherical aberration. What this all results in is the ability to change bokeh effects on the fly for harder or softer results across the frame.
Hybrid Image Stabiliser
An optical Hybrid Image Stabiliser offers up to 5-stops of compensation (CIPA standard) with up to 8-stops when mounted on a camera with In-Body Image Stabilisation. Macro photography will exaggerate even tiny movements, which Canon’s Hybrid IS tackles by providing up to 2-stops of IS at 1x magnification. Thanks to these features the lens surpasses even the best technology found in the EF lens range equivalent.
Dual Nano USM focusing motor
Using two Nano USM AF motors helps drive lightweight optical elements with speed, precision and with great control in near silence, making it ideal for stills and video. A floating lens group was used that required two focus motors, delivering higher AF speeds in a more compact lens design with even closer focus abilities. One Nano USM is used for the conventional focusing group and the other for the floating focus group, allowing them to be driven independently for SA control as well as focus breathing suppression.
For in-depth information about all of these features read our RF 100mm f2.8L Macro Lens Review.
What’s in the box
- RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens
- lens cap E-67 II
- Lens hood ET-73C
- Lens case/pouch LP1222
- Rear Lens Dust Cap RF
- Hoya REVO SMC 67MM Circular - remove unwanted reflections from any surface
- Canon Macrolite Adapter 67C - adapts the lens to either macro light below
- Canon MR-14EX II Macro Ring Lite - light up your subject with a high power ring light
- Canon Twin Macro Ring Lite MT-26EX-RT - more flash power
Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens Sample images
Mounted on EOS R5. Exposure: 1/80. f/6.3 ISO 3200 (no flash, focus stacked)
Mounted on EOS R5. Exposure: 1/320. f/5.6 ISO 6400
SA control ring adjusting bokeh
RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Specifications
|Image size||Full Frame|
|Angle of view (horzntl, vertl, diagnl)||20º, 14º, 24º|
|Lens construction (elements/groups)||17/13|
|No. of diaphragm blades||9|
|Closest focusing distance (m)||0.26|
|Maximum magnification (x)||1.4|
|Image stabilizer OIS||5-stops (2-stops at 1.0x magnification, under Canon test standards)|
|Image stabilizer IBIS x OIS||8-stops|
|AF actuator||Dual Nano USM|
Canon has raised the bar with the RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro which is the first ‘true’ Macro lens for the EOS R system. It arrives with an impressive and versatile feature list, making it suitable for a broad range of close-up and shorter telephoto subjects. Not only can the lens focus as close as 26cm, but it also provides macro capabilities of 0.5x, 1:1 and world first 1.4x. Creatives can also control bokeh and defocus effects on the fly with the SA control ring. Both videographers and macro photographers will appreciate the successful suppression of focus breathing, together with near silent high speed Dual Nano USM motors.
Users benefit from anti shake compensation of between 2-stops and 8-stops depending on the image magnification and which camera the lens is mounted on. These are impressive stats and provide real world benefits when hand holding or shooting in low light, especially when mounted on newer mirrorless bodies. Outdoor users won’t be hampered by inclement weather as Canon has included L-Series build quality combined with comprehensive weather sealing. Those hankering for superb image quality from a macro lens, which is also versatile enough to capture stunning portraits with bokeh control is in luck with this highly desirable option.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.