Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Standard Lens
For photographers looking for an affordable standard width lens for portraits, documentary or street, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM is an excellent choice, with its'' compact design and fast autofocus.
- Compact & lightweight design
- Classic portrait and street lens
- Best bokeh for the money
- Fast, silent focusing
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens Summary
The Canon 50mm f/1.8 Lens is one of the best, most affordable, and offers the best value for money of almost any of Canon award-winning lens range. This lens replaces the hugely popular 50mm f/1.8 II. With the the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens, you'll find that it has a 7-blade aperture and STM technology for smooth, near silent focusing and beautiful bokeh.
This lens is ideal if you're looking to shoot portraits or movies, as the wide f/1.8 aperture gives you precise control over depth of field and really lets you pinpoint focus on your subject.
The Canon 50mm f1.8 is also compact and lightweight, meaning that it will just slip into your camera bag so you can take it anywhere.
- A fantastic lens for portraits
- Fast, virtually silent focusing
- A great performer in low-light conditions
- Super-sharp image quality
- Compact go-everywhere' design
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens in detail
A fantastic lens for portraits
The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM blurs the background behind your subject so they really stand out. It will also let you fill the frame without getting uncomfortably close, making it easier to get a natural expression on their face.
When used on a full-frame EOS camera the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM acts as a standard lens, giving a perspective, similar to that of the human eye ideal for high-quality everyday photography.
Fast, virtually silent focusing
Near-silent STM technology focuses extremely quickly when shooting still photos, so you can react suddenly to capture fleeting moments. When capturing video focusing is smoother and slower, for footage that has a professional cinematic look to it.
A great performer in low-light conditions
The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lets in lots of light, so you can keep shooting even when conditions begin to get dark. Capture the mood of the moment using atmospheric available light you will love the results!
Super-sharp image quality
This fixed, non-zooming lens delivers superb images, whether you are shooting photos or movies. Sharpness is enhanced, contrast is boosted and distortion is reduced for a more natural result.
The glass elements used in the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM are layered with Canon bespoke Super Spectra coating, which prevents flare and ghosting when shooting into the light.
Compact go-everywhere design
The diminutive EF 50mm f/1.8 STM weighs just 160g and is only 40mm long, so you will always have room for it in your bag. A tactile manual focus ring is easy to find and use without taking the camera away from your eye.
- Magnification with Extension Tube EF12 II 0.45-0.24
- Magnification with Extension Tube EF25 II 0.74-0.53
- Hoya 49mm Ultra Pro Circular Polariser Filter
- Hoya 49mm ProND Filter Kit for videographers
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens Specifications
Standard Width Prime Lens
f/11 - f/16
Up to 5 Stops
Angle of view (horizontal, vertical, diagonal)
Lens construction (elements/groups)
No. of diaphragm blades
Closest focussing distance
69.2 x 39.3mm
|Offer Category: Camera Lenses|
|Offer Product Type: Canon Lenses EF mount|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 69|
|Length (mm): 39|
|Weight (g): 159|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 50 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: Yes|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 50|
|Maximum magnification: 0.21|
|Maximum aperture (number): 1.8|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 50|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.35|
|Minimum aperture (number): 22|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 7|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
A fantastic lens for shooting portraits or capturing movies with its wide f/1.8 maximum aperture and near silent STM focusing technology.
The 'nifty fifty' really does offer incredible value for money - if you're new to photography, there is no doubt this should be on your list - it's a great lens to let you start exploring depth of field without the costs associated with most fast aperture lenses.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.