Tamron 150-500mm f/5-6.7 Di III VC VXD Lens Sony FE
The Tamron 150-500mm f/5-6.7 Di III VC Lens for Sony FE full frame mirrorless cameras is a compact super telephoto zoom weighing in at just 1725g which includes stabilisation and agile VXD linear motor
- Extremely compact super telephoto lens with a versatile zoom range for a wide range of subjects
- Highly effective Vibration Compensation system for hand-holding even when light levels dip
- Versatile capabilities thanks to very close short focus distance for telephoto-macro images
- Fast, quiet and competent AF motor which harnesses Sony’s phase-detect system
- Excellent image and video results with sharp detailed across the frame and throughout the zoom range
Tamron 150-500mm f/5-6.7 Di III VC VXD Lens Summary
The newly developed Tamron 150-500mm f/5-6.7 Di III VC VXD super telephoto lens has been designed to provide a high quality, compact, hand-holdable zoom for full frame (FE) Sony camera users. It comes with Tamron’s latest lens technologies including an effective optical stabilisation system (Vibration Compensation), VXD linear motor focus mechanism and produces extremely sharp results thanks to a complex optical design. A number of glass elements had to be employed to achieve this level of quality, so whilst being super compact the telephoto weighs 1725g. which isn’t too bad considering it reaches a very useful 500mm.
Features at a glance
- Hand-holdable full-frame 500mm lens measuring around 21cm long
- Superb image results from 25 optical elements arranged in 16 groups
- Fast, quiet and accurate VXD linear motor focus compatible with Sony AF systems
- Highly effective mode selectable VC mechanism
- Versatile zoom range with 0.6m clo
- Arca-Swiss compatible tripod mount
- Moisture resistant construction with front element fluorine coat
Tamron lenses are typically characterised by their compact nature, well suited to mirrorless cameras and the 150-500mm f/5-6.7 telephoto follows this trend measuring just 209.6mm long, extending to 283mm when zoomed to 500mm. This makes it one of the most compact telephoto zooms found amongst Sony E-mount lenses and eminently portable.
Tamron 150-500mm f/5-6.7 Di III VC VXD Lens Sony FE in More Detail
Well thought out design
This is a hand-holdable full-frame 500mm lens with a maximum diameter of 93mm, measuring 21-28cm throughout the zoom range, which is an astoundingly compact size for a 500mm ultra-telephoto zoom for full-frame mirrorless cameras. The lens zooms from 150mm to 500mm by rotating the zoom ring through less than one-quarter of a turn at just 75°. This helps quick zooming throughout the range to capture the shot.
High image quality
A complex optical design features 25 lens elements in 16 groups. The effective use of special lens elements raises image quality and includes one XLD (eXtra Low Dispersion), five LD (Low Dispersion) and two Hybrid Aspherical lens elements. Combined these thoroughly control aberrations including axial chromatic aberrations. This design enables users to maintain high quality whilst benefiting from a compact and portable lens size.
Fast Quiet VXD Focussing
Tamron’s 150-500mm F/5-6.7 features the same successful VXD linear motor focus mechanism first seen in the 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD. VXD delivers high-speed and high-precision movement for highly responsive performance. The 150-500mm F5-6.7 provides fast, comfortable and accurate focusing at all shooting distances, from near to far.
Focus tracking has been improved to capture fast-moving subjects. This is particularly useful for those shooting sporting events, birds or aviation photography and capturing videos. The linear motor also reduces drive noise and vibrations making it ideal for shooting both stills and video even in quiet environments.
Ultra stable Vibration Compensation (VC)
The 150-500mm lens is equipped with Tamron’s VC mechanism with a VC mode selection switch with three settings (Mode 1: Standard, Mode 2: Exclusively for Panning, and Mode 3: Framing Priority). This feature delivers excellent image stabilisation performance enabling efficient reduction of image blurring caused by camera shake along with extra versatility for different shooting situations.
This highly capable super telephoto also offers excellent close-up shooting capabilities. The minimum object distance (MOD) is 0.6m at the wide end and 1.8m fully zoomed to 500mm. Maximum magnification at 150mm is exceptionally high at 1:3.1 enabling users to capture close-up telephoto-macro images, exceeding many conventional ultra-telephoto zoom lenses.
- Arca-Swiss compatible tripod mount with strap attachment holes
- Lens hood with flexible protective front end
- New switch design for improved operability
- FLEX ZOOM LOCK mechanism
Effective ghosting and flare reduction
A BBAR-G2 coating (Broad-Band Anti-Reflection Generation 2) suppresses ghosting and flare to a minimum level and reveals fine details even when the subject is backlit. This also helps to achieve natural colours and rich saturation.
Excellent weather resistance
Outdoor conditions can be changeable so Tamron has employed a moisture resistant construction to protect the lens. The front surface of the lens element is coated with a protective fluorine compound that is water and oil-repellent, which is easily wiped to remove marks.
Sony systems compatible
The 150-500mm F/5-6.7 lens is compatible with an array of special features found in Sony Mirrorless cameras including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF.
What’s in the box
- Tamron 150-500mm f/5-6.7 Di III VC VXD Lens for Sony E-mount
- Round-shaped hood
- Lens caps
- Arca-Swiss compatible tripod mount
- Hoya REVO SMC 82mm UV Filter - extra front element protection and reduction of UV over telephoto distances
- Hoya REVO SMC 82mm CPL Filter - A circular polariser is often used for outdoor photography to reduce reflections and glare
Tamron 150-500mm f/5-6.7 Di III VC VXD Lens Specifications
|Angle of View (diagonal):||16° 25'-4° 57' (for full-frame mirrorless format)|
|Optical Construction:||25 elements in 16 groups|
|Minimum Object Distance:||0.6m /23.6 in (WIDE), 1.8m /70.9 in (TELE)|
|Maximum Magnification Ratio:||1:3.1 (WIDE) / 1:3.7 (TELE)|
|Length*:||209.6mm (8.3 in)|
|Weight:||1725g (without tripod mount)|
|Aperture Blades:||7 (circular diaphragm)**|
|Standard Accessories:||Round-shaped hood, Lens caps, Tripod mount|
|Compatible Mounts:||Sony E-mount|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: N/A|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: N/A|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: Sony E|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: N/A|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): N/A|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: N/A|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Tamron is on a roll releasing this newly developed 150-500mm f/5-6.7 Di III VC VXD Lens for full frame Sony mirrorless cameras (FE) just months after the successful 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3 Di III RXD lens also for Sony E-mount. There was a gap in the market for this super telephoto focal length and it will appeal to a broad range of users who shoot sports, action, birds and wildlife or even compressed landscapes. This lens has been designed to be ultra portable without compromising on image quality and it does perform extremely well throughout the zoom range and across the frame.
Effective stabilisation has also been employed to allow users to shoot hand-held and still get sharp images and videos. The solid feel and weight of the lens complements hand-holding although some users might opt for a tripod or monopod for extended periods. Tamron has thoughtfully added several lens barrel switches for different situations including a zoom lock, VC settings, AF/MF and more. Naturally this lens will find its way outside so the inclusion of effective weather resistance will protect the lens if the weather heads south. If you are considering a super telephoto zoom Tamron has developed a very appealing option with this 150-500mm F/5-6.7 lens.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.