Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Di III VXD - Sony Fit Lens
The 70-180mm F/2.8 features a compact and light-weight design with a 67mm filter diameter
- Extremely compact telephoto with broad zoom range for a range of subjects
- Quiet operation with fast focus and superb optical performance
- Newly developed VXD linear motor focus ideal for fast moving subjects
- Weather sealed casing with moisture and dust protection for outdoor shooting
- Fast and bright aperture for excellent low light performance
Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Di III VXD Lens Summary
The 70-180mm f/2.8 Di III VXD lens is Tamron’s third high speed offering for Sony full-frame mirrorless E mount cameras. The broad ranging telephoto zoom features an entirely new VXD linear motor drive to achieve impressive subject acquisition and tracking of fast moving subjects, making this lens ideal for portraits, sports and closer wildlife photography. The lens is fully compatible with a range of Sony’s advanced features including Eye AF and Hybrid AF.
Optical performance is outstanding with bright clear results thanks to a series of aspherical, low dispersion, hybrid and extra low dispersion glass elements. Despite this array of high-end optics, the lens remains impressively lightweight at just 810g. Outdoor photographers will appreciate the weather sealing properties as well as the ability to hand-hold this lens for longer periods of time. A fast, constant aperture of just f/2.8 allows enough light to ensure subject isolation as well as superb low light performance.
The 70-180mm lens also provides versatility with close-up photography as the minimum focus distance is just 85cm (or just 27cm in manual focus at the shortest range). Fluorine coatings, a zoom lock switch and convenient 67mm filter thread all combine to ensure this lens will appeal to amateurs and professionals alike.
Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Di III VXD Lens Features in Detail
Compact and lightweight - Despite an impressive zoom range and fast constant aperture the Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Di III VXD is compact at just 149mm at the 70mm end. It weighs just 810g. fitting comfortably on any Sony full-frame E mount camera.
Quiet, quick autofocus - The Newly developed VXD linear motor focus mechanism, which stands for Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive is faster than any previous Tamron focus system. The drive maintains positional accuracy down to 0.005mm. This provides unprecedented fast and precise AF performance particularly with faster moving subjects.
The mechanism incorporates a floating design with advanced electronic control. This allows the lens to capture bright and clear images from the near to far reach of the zoom. The motor is quiet, making it ideal for subjects where silence is required as well as video capture.
Superior image quality - Despite the low weight, this lens features 19 elements in 14 groups. It includes a total of six XLD (eXtra Low Dispersion) and LD (Low Dispersion) lens elements, three GM (Glass Moulded Aspherical) and hybrid aspherical lens elements. Special lens elements are generously and optimally arranged to correct chromatic aberration and maintain very high-resolution edge-to-edge performance.
A special anti reflection coating (BBAR-G2) minimises ghosting and flare to ensure crisp, sharp details in photos. The lens utilises camera-based distortion and shading corrections for in-camera image enhancements.
Convenient filter thread size - 67mm is both compact and cost effective when adding lens filters to a system. Photographers can add polarisers, ND or any filter easily to enhance and control light or reflections.
Close focus distance - The new 70-180mm F/2.8 lens has a minimum focus distance of 85cm throughout the entire zoom range. This is astonishingly close for a large aperture telephoto zoom lens. The short MOD (minimum object distance) paves the way for impressive telephoto shooting at a maximum magnification ratio of 1:4.6 at the 180mm telephoto end. Close-up image quality remains superb due to a floating component equipped with two VXD linear focus mechanisms which maintain high image quality while effectively controlling aberrations. At the 70mm setting, it is also possible to shoot even closer to 27cm when manual focus (MF) is set on the camera.
Weather sealing and versatility - multiple seals have been incorporated in the lens to ensure outdoor photographers can continue shooting whatever the weather. The front surface of the lens element is coated with a protective fluorine compound that has excellent water and oil-repellent qualities, making it easier to keep clean and less vulnerable to the damaging effects of dirt, moisture or oily fingerprints. Additionally, the conventional Zoom Lock switch prevents unwanted barrel extension during transportation.
Camera compatibility and functionality - The 70-180mm f/2.8 is compatible with many advanced features that are specific to Sony mirrorless cameras. This includes:
- Fast Hybrid AF
- Eye AF
- Direct Manual Focus (DMF)
- In-camera lens correction (shading, chromatic aberration, distortion)
- Camera-based lens unit firmware updates
A trinity of fast lenses - Tamron’s third fast lens offering compliments the previous 17-28mm F/2.8 Di III RXD and 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD options. These are specifically designed for Sony FE mount and all feature impressive optics, build and image quality.
Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Di III VXD Lens Specifications
|Lens type||Telephoto Zoom|
|Aperture range||f/2.8 - f/22|
|Compatible cameras||Sony full-frame E mount|
|Dimensions||149mm x 81mm|
|Offers: Price Drop|
|Offer Category: Camera Lenses|
|Offer Product Type: Sony Lenses E Mount|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): 149|
|Weight (g): 815|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 70 - 180 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 180|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): 2.8|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 70|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.85|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: Fluorine coating|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: Yes|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Tamron have impressed with the new high speed lenses in their full-frame Sony lens line-up and the 70-180mm f/2.8 is equally impressive. It represents an economical way to acquire an optically excellent telephoto zoom for Sony FE mount cameras. The lens features a broad zoom range with extremely versatile telephoto reach in a weather sealed and compact unit. The brand new high speed VXD focus motors are exceptionally quick and employ Sony’s advanced Eye AF and superb Hybrid AF systems admirably.
Tamron’s optical engineering designs utilise a series of high-end glass elements which ensure beautiful, sharp and well controlled images can be captured throughout the zoom range. A bright and fast constant aperture aids with low light situations as well as isolating the subject from the background.
This lens is not only capable of capturing high quality images, but also adds several convenient features for photographers. These include versatility through close-up to telephoto ranges, a small filter thread size and useful features such as the zoom lock. These all add up to a well thought out, high quality option for photographers of any level who enjoy portraits, weddings, sports or wildlife. This lens would also suit travellers who need a longer lens without excess weight.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order. Lenses are optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements and optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.