Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG DN Art Lens for Sony E
The updated Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG DN Art Lens for Sony E offers better even optical performance than the original, faster and more precise AF, smoother bokeh from 11 aperture blades and improved handling.
- Classic prime lens redesigned for mirrorless cameras which builds and improves on the strengths of the original
- Delivers even better optical performance with sharp details, high resolving power and fast, silent AF from an all-new AF motor
- Smaller and lighter design, with robust build-quality, which supports rugged outdoor use in poor conditions
- Excellent choice for both stills and video thanks to silent HLA focus motor and de-clickable aperture ring
- Professional useability with customisable buttons and switches which support fast and accurate workflows
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG DN Art Lens for Sony E Summary
Arriving as the fifth prime ART lens redesigned for full-frame Sony mirrorless cameras, the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG DN Art Lens for Sony E mount delivers beautiful optical performance in a smaller and lighter body. With a classic 50mm focal length this compact lens is ideal for a range of subjects including portrait, wedding, street, landscape and family photography, as well as video recording.
The optical design renders even better results than the original Sigma lens, along with the addition of an aperture ring, AFL button and smoother bokeh thanks to an 11-bladed aperture design. As an Art series Sony mirrorless lens, the 50mm f/1.4 DG DN provides professional results with excellent handling for enthusiasts and professional photographers, with noticeably sharp results and well controlled image artefacts.
Key Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG DN | Art Lens Features
- All-new design exclusively for mirrorless cameras
- Outstanding optical performance from the latest optical design
- Low light excellence with ultra-wide f/1.4 aperture
- Nicely rounded bokeh with smooth defocus areas from 11-bladed aperture
- Newly developed ultra-fast HLA Autofocus motor compatible with high-speed Sony AF Assist
- Compact, robust design with a dust and splash-resistant structure
- Manual aperture ring with de-click switch
- Customisable AFL button and Focus Mode switch
- Super-smooth rubberised focus ring
- Minimised flare and ghosting
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG DN Art Lens for Sony E in More Detail
Outstanding optical performance
This new full-frame mirrorless lens delivers even sharper results across the frame, particularly towards the edges, than the existing SIGMA 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art which is known for being one of the highest-performing standard zooms on the market.
In order to achieve this, the SIGMA 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art employs the latest optical technology, with 14 elements in 11 groups. This formula includes one SLD (Special Low Dispersion) element and three aspherical elements. These deliver significant improvements to sagittal coma flare whilst effectively suppressing aberrations including astigmatism and field curvature, which cannot be corrected digitally. Even when working wide-open at F1.4, photographers can be assured of razor-sharp edge-to-edge results.
Low light mastery
The 50mm standard prime lens boasts an ultra-wide f/1.4 aperture, making it ideal for low-light photography and interior shoots, which can include concerts, interiors and weddings. It also renders an extremely shallow depth-of-field with high background blur, which is perfect for creating portraits which pop. The bokeh is smooth and attractive with nicely rounded bokeh balls, thanks to the lens’s 11 diaphragm blades.
Sigma’s latest ultra-fast AF motor
The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG DN Art Lens is the first mirrorless Art lens to incorporate Sigma’s new HLA (High-response Linear Actuator) autofocus motor technology. This delivers fast, accurate and near-silent focusing, with exceptionally fast tracking performance, despite an ultra-wide aperture. Sigma’s optical engineers were able to use a single double-sided aspherical element as the focusing lens, due to the power of the new HLA motor. This has delivered autofocus and optical design benefits, which is faster in every way.
Compact and robust build quality
During its development, every effort was made to reduce the thickness of the 50mm F1.4 DG DN lens barrel by reducing the weight of the focus lens and optimising the layout. This allowed Sigma to create a compact and lightweight design, weighing just 670g, which feels well-balanced when mounted on full-frame mirrorless cameras. The superb build quality meets the high standards expected from a Sigma Art line lens, whilst simultaneously complementing the high optical performance.
Designed for outdoor use
The 50mm F1.4 DG DN | Art is suitable for use in difficult shooting conditions, thanks to a dust and splash-resistant structure, rubber seal around the E-mount and a water and oil repellent front-element coating. The outer barrel is constructed of TSC (Thermally Stable Composite), which has a similar thermal expansion rate to aluminium. This means the metal inner barrel and the TSC outer barrel behave in a similar way as temperatures change, ensuring a consistent performance in all environments. Both materials are very light, with the lens weighing just 670g.
As with all Sigma lenses, the 50mm f/1.4 DG DN Art is crafted using cutting-edge manufacturing technology at Sigma’s factory in Aizu in Japan. Every single lens is evaluated with a proprietary MTF measuring system before leaving the factory, ensuring consistently excellent products that photographers can rely on.
Aside from a manual aperture ring, with Click switch, the lens barrel is equipped with a range of useful functions. Having a de-clickable aperture allows users to switch between stepped, third-stop increments and a smooth, click-free action. This is useful for videographers who need to adjust the aperture silently while filming. The aperture ring can also be locked with lock switch. The lens also features a customisable AFL button, which can be programmed to control a variety of different functions (depending on camera model).
You’ll also find a Focus Mode switch, rubberised focus ring with a smooth, fluid-like movement and a robust, petal-type lens hood with lock button to support professional workflows. The hood also has a rubberised grip for easy attachment and removal.
- Internal focus system
- Compatible with high-speed autofocus
- Compatible with Lens Aberration Correction
Available on supported cameras only. Available corrections and auto correction functionality may vary depending on the camera model.
On cameras where lens aberration correction is controlled with ‘ON’ or ‘OFF’ in the camera menu, please set all aberration correction functions to ‘ON’ (AUTO).
- Support for DMF and AF+MF
- Super Multi-Layer Coating
- Water- and oil-repellent coating (front element)
- AFL Button
Only on compatible cameras. Available functions may vary depending on the camera used.
- Aperture Ring
- Aperture Ring De-click Switch
- Aperture Ring Lock Switch
- Focus Mode switch
- Designed to minimise flare and ghosting
- High-precision, durable brass bayonet mount
- ‘Made in Japan’ craftsmanship
- Every single lens is evaluated with Sigma’s proprietary MTF measuring system
What’s in the box
- Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG DN Art Lens for Sony E Mount
- Petal Type Hood with lock (LH782-02)
- Front Cap (LCF-72 III)
- Rear Cap (LCR II)
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG DN Art Lens for Sony E Specifications
|Lens construction||14 elements, 11 groups (1 SLD and 3 aspherical elements)|
|Number of diaphragm blades||11 (rounded diaphragm)|
|Minimum focusing distance||45cm|
|Maximum magnification ratio||16.8|
|Dimensions (max diameter x length)||φ78.2mm x 109.5mm|
© Maike Wittreck. Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG DN Art Lens mounted on Sony A7R IV. Camera settings: 1/160 sec. f/1.6. ISO 100
© Elliot Aubin. Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG DN Art Lens mounted on Sony A7 III. Camera settings: 1/800 sec. f/1.4. ISO 200
© Etsuko Aimu. Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG DN Art Lens mounted on Sigma Fp L. Camera settings: 1/2000 sec. f/1.4. ISO 100
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: Yes|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 78|
|Length (mm): 110|
|Weight (g): 670|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 50 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: Yes|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 50|
|Maximum magnification: 0.15|
|Maximum aperture (number): 1.4|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 50|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.45|
|Minimum aperture (number): 16|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 11|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: 1 SLD and 3 aspherical lens. Super Multi-Layer coating and water and oil repellent coating.|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Building on the solid reputation of the original is this all-new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG DN Art Lens which is redesigned for Sony E mount mirrorless cameras. The design focuses on reducing the size and weight, whilst delivering even better optical performance than the previous generation 50mm Art lens.
Sigma has accomplished this through an extensive overhaul of the entire lens, which employs a new optical layout, a new high-speed AF motor and new lens barrel controls. The results are spectacular, with edge-to-edge sharpness, high resolution and clear details apparent, along with well controlled aberrations and reduced image artefacts.
You can shoot into direct light sources with less ghost and flare, and the bright maximum aperture delivers a razor thin depth of field, plus excellent low light performance. Bokeh is soft, round and pleasing thanks to an 11-bladed diaphragm, which ensures you can separate your subject from background distractions with ease.
Build-quality matches the optical performance, with a well-balanced high-quality feel and robust materials used throughout the weather resistant design. Users also benefit from a series of barrel controls, including a de-clickable and lockable aperture ring, smooth focus ring and a programmable AFL button. Whichever types of subjects you enjoy shooting, a 50mm prime lens of this calibre is sure to impress, ensuring it will accompany you on a host of new adventures.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order. Lenses are optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements and optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.