Panasonic Lumix S 24mm f/1.8 Lens for L Mount
The Panasonic Lumix S 24mm f/1.8 Lens excels at stills and video with a customisable focus ring, excellent rendering of detail and shared attributes with other S Series full frame lenses for L Mount
- Excellent results for stills and video with high levels of sharp detail and good contrast
- Pro video lens with micro-step aperture control for smooth exposure change and suppressed focus breathing
- Fast and silent Autofocus and fully customisable focus ring rotation and linear / non linear settings
- Compact and lightweight at just 310g with shared attributes with other S Series prime lenses
- Rugged dust and splash-resistant design for working in harsh conditions down to -10ºC
Panasonic Lumix S 24mm f/1.8 Lens Summary
The release of the Panasonic Lumix S 24mm f/1.8 Lens for L Mount marks the third in a series of four bright, full frame prime lenses to feature a common size, weight and control positions. These lenses also demonstrate a similar centre of gravity, making them ideal for video, with a set of easily interchangeable L Mount lenses requiring little adjustment even when mounted on a gimbal. This type of streamlined workflow will appeal to enthusiasts and professionals shooting content of all types including for Youtube and other channels.
With a wide focal width the Lumix S 24mm f/1.8 is well suited to range of subjects from landscapes and street photography to vlogging and other video work. Results are sharp, well controlled and show excellent rendering of fine detail. Autofocus is fast and smooth while manual focus is eminently customisable through linear and non linear settings as well as having a customisable focus rotation. If you use the lens for portraits or other scenes where the subject is isolated through a shallow depth of field, you’ll see beautifully smooth out of focus areas and rounded bokeh thanks to the 9-blade circular aperture.
- Shared design, weight and feature-set with other Lumix S Series lenses
- Smooth, silent AF operation
- Variable focus ring control using linear / non linear settings
- Adjustable focus ring rotation between 90º-360º
- Rugged dust and splash-resistant design for work during harsh conditions
- Video oriented micro-step aperture control and suppressed focus breathing
- 9-blade circular aperture diaphragm
Quality is driven by Panasonic’s optical design that includes 12 elements in 11 groups (3 aspherical lenses, 1 UED lens, 3 ED lens). The special lens elements suppress chromatic aberration and deliver finely rendered detail with excellent contrast. Beautifully smooth bokeh and out of focus areas are rendered by the 9-bladed diaphragm with an f/1.8 aperture offering plenty of scope for shallow depth of field. The lens also demonstrates proficiency in low light shooting when handheld.
What’s in the box
- Panasonic Lumix S 24mm f/1.8 Lens for L Mount
- Lens cap
- Lens rear cap
- Lens hood
- Polar Pro Peter McKinnon 67mm VND MIST Edition II 2-5 stop - This two-in-one filter includes a variable ND and mist effect with highly desirable video results
- B+W 67mm XS-Pro Clear MRC Nano 007 - A superb protection only German-made filter
- Tiffen 67mm Variable ND - A cost effective and highly effective VND with 2 to 8 stops of control
Panasonic Lumix S 24mm f/1.8 Lens Sample images were all shot on the S5.
1/800 sec. f/1.8. ISO 100
1/125 sec. f/9. ISO 200
1/125 sec. f/2. ISO 100
1/125 sec. f/1.8. ISO 200
|Lens Construction||12 elements in 11 groups (3 aspherical lenses, 1 UED lens, 3 ED lens)|
|Optical Image Stabilizer||No|
|Aperture Type||9 diaphragm blades / Circular aperture diaphragm|
|Closest Focusing Distance||0.24m/0.79ft|
|Diagonal Angle of View||84°|
|Dust and Splash Resistant||Yes*|
|Recommended Operating Temperature||-10℃ to 40℃ (14℉ to 104℉)|
|Max. Diameter||φ73.6mm / 2.90inch|
|Overall Length||Approx. 82.0mm / 3.23inch (from the tip of the lens to the base side of the lens mount)|
|Weight||Approx. 310g / 0.68lb (excluding lens cap, lens rear cap and lens hood)|
|Standard Accessories||Lens cap, Lens rear cap, Lens hood|
The Lumix S 24mm f/1.8 Lens from Panasonic is an excellent companion to any full frame L mount camera including the Lumix S5 which is the smallest in the range currently. Having shared attributes with the Lumix S 50mm f/1.8 and Lumix S 85mm f/1.8 does provide a compelling set of bright primes in the S Series. Together these offer quick lens changes and minimal fuss even when shooting on gimbals or rigs as they have almost identical balance. A fourth model will be a 35mm f/1.8, completing the planned series.
The S 24mm portrays excellent sharpness and detail with well controlled results as we have come to appreciate from this series. It’s the lenses’ ability to excel at both stills and video which will provide appeal to end users. The L Mount is an attractive platform for hybrid shooters and the lenses offer videographers alluring features, not least of which is extremely well surpassed focus breathing. AF works quickly and silently and manual focus pullers can customise the lens to get it just right for their style of shooting. Naturally there’s competent weather sealing, a compact 67m filter thread and the bright aperture allows you to shoot handheld in low light situations. The aperture is also made of 9-rounded blades, rendering smooth bokeh and creamy out of focus areas when you want them, topping off the list of desirable features found on this Lumix S model.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.