Nikon Z fc Mirrorless Camera Body
A The Nikon Z fc is a retro 'heritage' style crop sensor mirrorless camera with modern features including Nikon's first vari-angle LCD on a Z body, 4K movies, a 20.9MP DX Sensor, VR and 11fps.
- Retro meets modern in a mirrorless camera with chic styling and the latest Nikon Z technologies
- Designed for content creators with 4K video, a vari-angle LCD touchscreen and DX sensor
- Lightweight camera body offers quick access dials to shutter speed, exposure compensation and ISO
- Supports the latest Eye-Detection AF and Animal-Detection AF for both stills and video
- Excellent performance in any lighting conditions thanks to in-camera vibration reduction and wide ISO 100-51200
Nikon Z fc Retro Style Mirrorless Camera Body Summary
Designed for todays content creators the Nikon Z fc Mirrorless Camera Body combines a unique vintage style with the latest in mirrorless technology. The ‘heritage’ body design is based on the iconic Nikon FM2 film camera but comes weighing in at just 445g and a boasts a 20.9 megapixel DX crop sensor.
Whether you’re new to Nikon’s mirrorless cameras or a seasoned Z shooter you can easily create beautiful 4K video at up to 30fps and high speed FHD up to 120fps. Nikon’s first ever vari-angle LCD touchscreen for Z cameras is ideal for vlogging, giving full control over video during pieces to camera. In-camera vibration reduction helps stabilise movies and stills, whilst an ISO range between 100-51200 ensures you can continue shooting in any lighting conditions. The Z fc is also fully compatible with the latest Eye-Detection AF and Animal-Detection AF for stills and video, ported over from the flagship Z7 II camera.
Features at a glance
- Retro heritage design inspired by the iconic Nikon FM2 film camera
- Shutter speed, exposure compensation and ISO dials
- First Z camera with vari-angle LCD touchscreen
- Supports Eye-Detection AF and Animal-Detection AF for stills and video
- ISO range of 100-51200
- In-camera vibration reduction
- Includes 20 unique Creative Picture Control options
- Exposure compensation works even in AUTO mode
- Power charge to charge while shooting
The body has been released alongside two new lenses that complement the Z fc ‘heritage’ style. The Nikkor Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR Silver Edition and NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 SE which are both available as lens kits. You can of course also add your existing Nikon mirrorless lenses designed for DX format or mount an FTZ adapter with F-mount lenses.
Nikon Z fc Mirrorless Camera in More Detail
Legendary camera styling
The Nikon Z fc pentaprism design with black and silver body design elements closely reflect the legendary FM2, as does the circular eyepiece for the electronic viewfinder. Other vintage styling elements include the tactile dial designs, with a nice sounding click and inscribed Nikon logo from the 1970-80s. Nikon has used a magnesium alloy chassis to ensure the camera is durable for todays adventures which looks and feels the part.
Creative expression meets function
The top of the Z fc’s body features three control dials and a small window to display current aperture. These dials provide instant control over shutter speed, exposure compensation and ISO sensitivity. Along with these Nikon has added a customisable i-button and i-menu, which allow users to quickly adjust settings with the press of a button. There’s also a video / stills lever, video record button all of which will appeal to anyone who enjoys a combination of nicely clicking analogue buttons with instant adjustment of settings.
Exposure compensation is supported when shooting in AUTO mode on the Z fc. This handy new feature provides options to increase brightness and enhance silhouettes, for easier creative expression.
The camera also features 20 Creative Picture Control options that deliver unique styling for your images straight out of camera. These can even be refined with hue, tone and saturation to adjust effects to any taste.
The latest AF technology
Nikon’s Eye-Detection AF and Animal-Detection AF has been integrated into this retro style camera, which is supported for both stills and video. This tracks subjects across wide-area AF (L) and AF-area mode is supported, ensuring sharp eyes and faces are captured throughout the scene.
Wide native ISO range
The Z fc comes with a native ISO 100-51200 ensuring content creators working across any genre will be able to shoot in all lighting conditions.
A vari-angle monitor has been included for the first time on any Nikon mirrorless camera.This allows flexible framing from low or high angles and when the monitor is rotated to the front, the camera automatically switches to self-portrait mode. This makes shooting selfies effortless, providing full camera control and composition with touch operation.
SnapBridge Ver. 2.8 Improved connectivity
The SnapBridge app can be used to transfer photos and videos to a smart device, making it easy for users to share them on social media.
Snapbridge 2.8 sports a new user interface with two automatic connection modes: foreground mode and background mode. The foreground mode connects with the camera only when the app is activated, reducing camera battery consumption. The background mode features a constant connection, transferring images automatically even when the app is not activated.
Check out our more in-depth blog review of the Nikon Z fc camera here.
Additional camera features
- The EVF employs an organic EL panel for a more natural view
- 4K UHD using the full DX sensor movie area without crop
- Supports Full-time AF dedicated for video recording
- Slow-motion video shooting is made easy by simply selecting an image size and frame rate
- Supports Webcam Utility
- Supports USB power delivery and USB charging
- Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 170MB/s Class 10 UHS-I
- Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB 170MB/s Class 10 UHS-I
- EN-EL25 Spare battery
- GR-1 body grip
- DK-32 Rubber Eyecup
Nikon Z fc Camera Specifications
|Image sensor||23.5 × 15.7 mm CMOS sensor (Nikon DX format), Optical low-pass filter|
|Effective pixels||20.88 million|
|Lens mount||Z mount|
|Viewfinder||Electronic viewfinder, 0.39-in. XGA OLED, approx. 2360-dot. Frame coverage: approx. 100％ in all directions (on actual screen), magnification: approx. 1.02× (when using 50mm lens, at infinity, -1.0 m-1)|
|Shutter||Electronically controlled vertical-travel focal-plane mechanical shutter; electronic front-curtain shutter, electronic shutter|
|Shutter speed||With shutter speed dial: 1/4000 to 4 seconds (1 step), Bulb, Time, X (Flash sync) With main command dial: 1/4000 to 30 seconds (1/3 step, extendable up to 900 s during M mode), Bulb, Time, X (Flash sync) X=1/200 seconds, synchronizes with shutter at 1/200 seconds or slower, auto FP high-speed sync supported|
|Continuous shooting speed||High-speed continuous shooting: 5.0 fps (with AF, live view between frames available), High-speed continuous shooting (extended): 11 fps (with AF/AE, JPEG or 12 bit RAW image quality, when using a mechanical shutter)|
|ISO sensitivity||Still images: ISO 100 to 51200, Hi 1 (ISO 102400 equivalent), Hi 2 (ISO 204800 equivalent), Videos: ISO 100 to 25600|
|Autofocus||Hybrid AF (focal-plane phase-detection AF/contrast-detect AF), AF detection range: -4.5 EV (in still shooting, AF-S, ISO 100, f/1.8 lens, 20°C/68°F, low-light AF), number of focus points in still shooting: 209 (DX image area, single-point AF), Eye-Detection AF for human and animals (in still shooting and movie recording, auto-area AF, AF-A), focus peaking display in manual focus|
|Metering method||Matrix metering, center-weighted metering, spot metering, highlight-weighted metering, flicker reduction in still shooting|
|Vibration reduction||In-camera vibration reduction|
|Image-processing engine||EXPEED 6, Creative Picture Control supported|
|Recording formats||SD memory card (UHS-I support) Image format: RAW12-bit/14-bit, JPEG, simultaneous recording of both RAW and JPEG available|
|Video||Video compressions format: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, file format: MOV or MP4, electronic vibration reduction available, video log (N-Log) output not supported|
|Video recording pixels/frame rate||3840×2160 (4K UHD): 30p/25p/24p, 1920×1080: 120p/100p/60p/50p/30p/25p/24p, 1920×1080 slow-motion: 30p (4×)/25p (4×)/24p (5×)|
|Audio||Built-in stereo microphone, use of external microphone is available, recording format: Linear PCM (MOV) or AAC (MP4)|
|LCD monitor||3.0-in. (3:2), approx. 1040-dot, touch-operational panel, vari-angle monitor (self-portrait supported)|
|Top display panel||Yes (only for aperture display)|
|Battery||EN-EL25, USB charging available with EH-7P AC adapter (optional)|
|Interface||USB cable (Type C: SuperSpeed USB), HDMI micro connector (Type D), plug-in power microphone support, stereo mini-jack (Φ3.5 mm), Accessory Shoe|
|Communication||SnapBridge Ver.2.8 support, In-body Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, WT-7 not supported|
|Dimensions (W × H x D)||Approx. 134.5×93.5×43.5 mm/5.3×3.8×1.8 in.|
|Weight||Approx. 445 g/15.7 oz. (with battery and SD memory card but without body cap), Approx. 390 g/ 13.8 oz. (body only)|
|Offers: Price Drop|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|AE Bracketing: N/A|
|Autofocus Modes: N/A|
|Articulated Screen: N/A|
|Aperture priority: Yes|
|Built-in flash: N/A|
|Battery Life (CIPA): 300|
|Camera CIPA image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Continuous drive (fps): 11|
|Custom white balance: Yes|
|Digital zoom: N/A|
|Effective pixels (megapixels): 21|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Exposure compensation: N/A|
|External flash: Yes|
|Flash range (metres): N/A|
|Focal length (equiv.): N/A|
|Focal length multiplier: 1.5|
|Flash modes: N/A|
|HDMI Port: N/A|
|Headphone port: N/A|
|Height (mm): 94|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Width (mm): 135|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Weight (inc. batteries) (g): 445|
|Image ratio w:h: N/A|
|Camera Image stabilization: N/A|
|ISO: Auto, 100 - 51200 (expands to 100 - 204800)|
|JPEG quality levels: Fine, standard, basic|
|Live view: Yes|
|Camera Lens mount: N/A|
|Manual exposure mode: Yes|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic): N/A|
|Maximum ISO: 51200|
|Maximum ISO (boosted): 204800|
|Max resolution: N/A|
|Maximum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Maximum aperture: N/A|
|Manual focus: Yes|
|Microphone port: Yes|
|Camera Minimum focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum ISO: 100|
|Minimum ISO (boosted): 100|
|Minimum macro focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Metering modes: N/A|
|Number of focus points: 209|
|Number of white balance presets: 8|
|Optical zoom multiplier: N/A|
|Orientation sensor: Yes|
|Other resolutions: N/A|
|Processor: Expeed 6|
|Remote control: N/A|
|Screen dots: 1040000|
|Screen size: N/A|
|Screen type: N/A|
|Shutter priority: Yes|
|Sensor photo detectors (megapixels): 22|
|Sensor size: N/A|
|Sensor type: N/A|
|Storage types: N/A|
|Subject / scene modes: N/A|
|Timelapse recording: Yes|
|Camera Type: N/A|
|Uncompressed format: N/A|
|Camera USB: N/A|
|USB charging: Yes|
|Viewfinder coverage: N/A|
|Viewfinder magnification: N/A|
|Viewfinder resolution: 2360000|
|Viewfinder type: N/A|
|Video formats: N/A|
|Video Mode Categories: N/A|
|Video Modes: N/A|
|WB Bracketing: Yes|
With such a rich history in camera design Nikon had a lot of options to draw inspiration from with their first heritage Z fc mirrorless camera. The chic black and silver body, round eyepiece and trio of control dials are sure to satisfy any appetite for a retro style camera body and it looks beautiful. Despite the classic appearance it packs some serious tech aimed at anyone shooting stills, videos or both for their content creation. We’re glad to see a fully articulating touchscreen LCD included, which is essential for many vloggers. The addition of vibration reduction is also most welcome, helping to stabilise handheld movie footage and photographs.
Porting over the latest AF technology with excellent tracking for eyes, faces and video tracking will help anyone using Autofocus for stills or movies, reinforcing the Z fc as a tool for todays content creator. The lightweight body is made with magnesium alloy to keep down weight, whilst offering a durable construction perfect for any adventures. Nikon also added a slew of other tech and features to make sure this is both easy to use and delivers exciting opportunities for existing or new Nikon Z shooters. For these reasons we're sure this will find its way into many kit bags of those who love a stylish vintage design, with a tactile experience merged with top notch features.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order. Lenses are optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements and optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.