Leica Summilux M 21mm f/1.4 ASPH Lens Black Anodised
The Leica Summilux-M 21mm wide angle lens has a bright f/1.4 aperture, delivers exceptional results through aspherical and low dispersion elements and looks stylish in black anodised metal finish.
- Excellent resolution and detail in an ultra wide angle Rangefinder lens
- A bright aperture excels at low light with well controlled vignetting and distortion
- Excellent choice for a range of subjects including landscapes and architecture
- Floating element design ensure the lens keeps up with the latest high resolution sensors
- Impeccable design and craftsmanship with Made In Germany quality for lifelong service
Leica Summilux-M 21 f/1.4 ASPH. Lens Summary
The Leica Summilux-M 21 f/1.4 ASPH. Lens is a fast ultra wide angle M lens for rangefinders which offers excellent performance over the entire image field. Image quality is sharp and concise, even when stopping down to the fastest aperture in the close-up range thanks to a ‘floating element’. Stopping down to f/2.8 leads to absolutely outstanding image quality, ensuring the lens resolves high resolution detail on any of the latest high resolution Rangefinder cameras. In comparison to the Elmarit lens of the same focal 21mm length, the Summilux-M 21 rendition is slightly more uniform across the image field.
- Bright aperture ultra wide angle lens
- 10 elements in 8 groups with 5 anomalous partial dispersion elements
- Focusing range: 0.7 m to infinity
- Weight: approx. 580 g
The vignetting typical of every optical system is naturally more apparent with a super wide angle lens, particularly a high speed one like this, than on standard lenses or those with a long focal length. At full stop with the 35mm format, its maximum - i.e. in the corners of the image - is around 3.2 aperture stops or, with the Leica M8 models and their slightly smaller format, around 1.9 aperture stops. Stopping down to 2.8 visibly reduces this light fall-off towards the image edges to 1.7 or 0.8 aperture stops. Stopping down further does not bring any noticeable additional reduction, as all that remains is essentially the natural vignetting.
The maximum distortion of the lens is 2.3%,which in practical terms is negligible for the majority of photographic applications. A total of ten lens elements are used to achieve this exceptional performance. To correct colour aberrations, five of these are made of glass types with anomalous colour dispersion(partial dispersion), while a further two have aspherical surfaces. To maintain performance in the close-up range, one group towards the rear of the optical system is a 'floating element' that moves independently of the rest of the mechanism.
The five anomalous partial dispersion elements serve to correct vignetting and distortion which is all but eliminated at aperture of f/2.8 through to the maximum f/16 aperture. The floating element retains the lenses’ high resolution, even in the close-up range. A patented, rectangular lens hood fits Series VIII filters.
|Offer Category: Camera Lenses|
|Offer Product Type: Leica Lenses M mount|
|Aperture ring: Yes|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 70|
|Length (mm): 66|
|Weight (g): 580|
|Distance scale: Yes|
|DoF scale: Yes|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 21 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 21|
|Maximum magnification: 0.03|
|Maximum aperture (number): 1.4|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 21|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.7|
|Minimum aperture (number): 16|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: 2 aspherical elements; 5 anomolous dispersion elements|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Leica has a series of fast aperture Summilux lenses in their range, with this Summilux-M 21 F/1.4 ASPH. Lens joining as the ultra wide angle fast prime offering. The lens resolves extremely well, assisted by a tried and tested ASPH. (aspherical) design with 10 elements arranged in 8 groups. A floating design provides users with enviable levels of detail combined with a classic Leica rendition for which their lenses are famed. Subjects which fall into ultra wide remit include landscape photography, architectural and creative compositions where the foreground provides visual interest. A close focus distance of 70 cm provides further opportunities to exaggerate perspectives and engage the viewer.
Adding this beautiful lens to any collection offers a unique opportunity to explore ultra wide subjects with a beautifully crafted optic which perfectly complements other models including the famed Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH. Attention to detail is pleasing as ever and includes the rectangular shaped screw-on type lens hood.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.