Laowa 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe Lens for Sony E
The Laowa 24mm f/14 Probe Lens for full frame Sony E is an unconventional and revolutionary 2:1 macro magnification to Infinity that delivers a bug eye view with deep depth of field and close focus.
- World’s first Sony E lens which focuses 2:1 macro to infinity with a ‘bug eye’ perspective
- Unique 84.1º field of view which renders well and captures enticing 2:1 close-up images and videos
- Waterproof front barrel enables you to get into more dynamic shooting situations
- Deep depth of field with f/14 - f/40 aperture range as required for close-up subjects
- Built-in LED ring light helps illuminate subjects at such small apertures
Laowa 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe Lens for Sony FE Summary
Laowa is gaining a reputation for disrupting the macro world with lenses like this 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe Lens for full frame Sony cameras. It is the world’s first consumer lens which focuses 2:1 macro to infinity with a ‘bug eye’ perspective. So despite its unconventional (AKA weird) design the double magnification 2:1 close-up lens offers a unique 84.1º perspective on the world. It works well for both stills and video, allowing you to get in as close as 47cm to your subject with a built-in LED Ring Light to illuminate the subject.
Features at a glance
- 40cm long full frame Sony E-mount lens
- Unique ‘Bugs Eye’ Perspective (84.1º FOV)
- 2:1 double life-size macro and infinity focus
- Waterproof front lens barrel
- LED ring light built-in
- Designed for Video and Stills capture
A vast array of glass elements make up the 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe with a total of 27 Elements arranged in 19 groups. The f/14 - f/40 aperture gives a deeper depth of field, which is ultimately necessary for such as unique close-up lens and also justifies the very handy built-in ring light.
Laowa 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe Lens for Sony E sample images
© Jimmy Chan
What’s in the box
- Laowa 24mm F14 2x Macro Probe Lens for Sony
- front and rear lens caps
|Offers: Price Drop|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: N/A|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: N/A|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: N/A|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): N/A|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: N/A|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Although Laowa are a relatively new lens manufacturer they have entered the market guns blazing. This unconventional and revolutionary 2:1 macro lens demonstrates this perfectly. It offers double life size magnification together with being the world’s first bug eye macro which focuses to infinity. And yes, it looks weird and is called a probe, but with good reason as it measures 408mm long, 38mm wide and looks like a medical instrument. The results which the 24mm f/14 2x Macro captures for both videographers and stills photographers are engaging and unique.
Results you can get with the lens are also excellent quality thanks to a series of optical elements which do their job admirably. Depth of field has to be considered with 2x macro magnification and this lens achieves this with an f/14 - f/40 range. A ring light is built-in to ensure enough light is on the subject and the front end of the lens is waterproof to cater for wet ground and difficult to shoot scenes in close-up.
Despite these features and considerable amount of glass inside the lens only weighs 474g so it is pretty easy to bring along on your macro adventures. We also have the 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro Lens and 100mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO for Sony full frame shooters which are great alternatives demonstrating equally unique characteristics.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.