Laowa 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro Lens for Sony E
The Laowa 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro Lens for Sony E-mount is all about wide angle larger than life close-ups, with a range between 2.5:1 to 5:1 and Laowa include one extra-low dispersion element too.
- Extreme macro capabilities with larger than life 2.5:1 to 5:1 magnification
- Fast aperture with 8-bladed design for smooth, clean out of focus areas
- Compact and portable design weighing 400g and measuring just 82mm x 65mm
- Close focus as low as 17.3cm for larger than life details and engaging images
- Developed for both professionals and enthusiasts for any macro situation
Laowa 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro Lens for Sony FE Summary
We’re excited to offer our full frame Sony Alpha mirrorless users the unique 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro Lens from Laowa. It joins the macro foray with exceptional close-up capabilities of up to 5:1 magnification capturing larger than life details of the world around. The wide angle 25mm field of view results in excellent depth of field and a bright f/2.8 aperture helps with low light situations. The close focus distance down to 17.3cm lets you get into the action while the optical design incorporates an extra-low dispersion element. This addition helps to reduce colour fringing and chromatic aberrations with results showing good sharpness and clarity.
Features at a glance
- Extreme ‘Ultra’ close-up 2.5:1 to 5:1 Magnification range
- Full frame FE Sony compatible
- Compact and lightweight design
- Bright f/2.8 aperture with 8-bladed design
- Great optical performance
The 25mm f/2.8 Ultra Macro lens remains lightweight at 400g for easy handling and provides plenty of opportunity to work with a compatible flash for Sony cameras to light the subject. Please note this is a fully manual lens, with no electronic connections, so users will have to adjust focus and aperture manually and no Exif data will be relayed. Close focus is variable depending on the magnification range, going from 17.3 to 23.4cm with the barrel extending out of the body further, the closer the range.
Laowa 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro Lens for Sony E sample images
© Alberto Ghizzi Panizza
© Gua Ge
© Alberto Ghizzi Panizza
What’s in the box
- Laowa 25mm F2.8 2.5-5x Ultra Macro Lens for Sony full frame
- Front and rear lens caps
Laowa is a disrupter thanks to designing a series of weird and wonderful, larger than life-size macro models for the Sony mirrorless lens range. This 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra lens combines extreme close-up capabilities with a compact and lightweight design which enables handholding for longer periods. The compact design also affords extra space to employ artificial lighting without crowding your workflow or the subject. Optical performance is great, taken care of by 8 elements in 6 groups including an extra-low dispersion element. Whilst this isn’t there most complex optical design (take a look at the 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe Lens for Sony E), it does capture clear results with sharp details at extraordinary magnification levels.
The aperture design includes 8-blades which renders pleasing out of focus areas, while full time manual focus provides the user with the opportunity to gain pin sharp results at precisely the right point. Whilst not for everyone, as the lens is fully manual you’ll be in control of focus and aperture settings, which makes for an immersive and satisfying experience when all the elements come together.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.