Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Lens for Nikon F
The short telephoto prime Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Lens for Nikon F captures double life-size 2:1 close-ups with outstanding results thanks to advanced optics with an apochromatic design.
- Tried and tested short telephoto focal length prime, particularly suited to macro and other subjects
- Two times life-size magnification at 2:1 for frame filling details
- Advanced APO optical design helps with sharpness, , aberrations and colour fringing
- Short 0.24m minimum focal distance to get extremely close to the subject
- Easy to find compact 67mm filter thread size facilitates the use of many lens filters
Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Lens Nikon F (FX) Summary
With a bright aperture and prime short telephoto width the Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Lens for Nikon F-mount cameras delivers a 2:1 magnification ratio (2x). This results in double life-size details of close-up subjects with excellent colour rendition and detail thanks to an apochromatic design. Whilst excelling at tele-macro photography and bringing you close to the subject, the 100mm f/2.8 Ultra Macro also works well for more distant subjects including portraits.
Nine aperture blades grace the Nikon version of this lens, ideal for smooth out of focus areas and pleasing bokeh rendition.
Features at a glance
- Double life-size 2:1 macro magnification
- Works with FX full frame and DX crop sensor (150mm equivalent) Nikon DSLR
- Extremely well controlled colo
- Minimum focus distance of just 24.7cm
- Manual focus only for pin sharp results
- Short telephoto prime with apochromatic design
- Compact 67mm filter thread
An advanced optical design includes two low dispersion elements to suppress colour fringing and chromatic aberrations, which have virtually been eliminated by Laowa on this 2x macro lens. Excellent image clarity can be achieved, which can be aided by the lens barrel which offers focus distance and depth of field markings. A maximum aperture of f/22 is available however we generally recommend using slightly lower than maximum to avoid diffraction.
Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Lens for Nikon F Sample Images
© Dylan Reynolds
© Andrew McLachlan
© Dylan Reynolds
What’s in the box
- Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2:1 Ultra Macro APO Lens for Nikon F
- Lens hood
- Front and rear lens caps
- B+W 67mm XS-Pro Clear MRC-Nano 007 Filter - a high-end protector filter, which may be a great idea at such close focus distances
- B+W 67mm XS-Pro Kaesemann Circular Polarise Another high quality filter from B+W to reduce glare and reflections from wet surfaces
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: N/A|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: N/A|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: N/A|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): N/A|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: N/A|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
There are a variety of macro lenses available in the huge Nikon DSLR lens range, however this model from Laowa combines practicality and excellent results with an appealing price tag. For some subjects a fully manual focus lens may prohibit users, however it’s extremely common to use manual focusing for macro subjects. This is in part due to the need to pick the point of focus ourselves, as there is so little distance on tiny subjects for a camera to guess correctly. Thankfully the 100mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Lens for Nikon F-mount features distance and depth of field markings to assist you with focus and the results can be spectacular.
Some 100mm prime lenses sometimes have a relatively long minimum focus distance, but this model bucks the trend, able to get as close as 24.7cm. Once again this allows you to get creative with excellent results throughout the frame. Whilst not a featherweight the lens weighs around 638g which feels balanced on a Nikon FX camera body and does allow for extended periods of hand holding. If you enjoy working at short tele lengths then this is the one for you, however if you’re looking for a shorter macro, try the 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro Lens also for Nikon F which offers an ultra wide alternative.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.