- Call us: 01444 237070
- Contact Us
- Sign In / Register
Canon RF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM lens
Capture beautiful wildlife, sports and action photos in any light with the new Canon RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens featuring 5 stop IS and a dual power focus drive system with full time MF override.
Earn 13119 Park Points
Finance available See options
Trade in & Trade up
Looking to trade in your photo equipment? Get a quote now!
Chat with a Canon product specialist about this productChat now
- Bright f/2.8 aperture with 9-blades for low light mastery and excellent subject isolation
- Dual power focus drive provides faster AF and subject tracking with compatible cameras
- Legendary L-series weather sealed build quality with heat-reflecting white finish
- Fluorite and Super UD glass plus ASC and Super Spectra coatings deliver impeccable results
- Up to 5 stops of shake compensation ideal for hand holding in a variety of lighting conditions
Canon RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens Summary
The arrival of the Canon RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens marks a new era of professional native super telephoto lenses for the full frame Canon mirrorless system. A combination of Fluorite and Super UD glass elements with ASC and Super Spectra coatings result in superb image quality, which will satisfy professional and enthusiast wildlife, sports and action photographers. The lens focuses quickly, quietly and confidently, even with faster moving subjects as it is assisted by a Dual Power Focus Drive, which draws extra power from any compatible camera body.
Photographers working in low light benefit from a large, bright f/2.8 aperture together with image stabilisation (IS) for up to 5 stops of compensation. Hand holding is more comfortable with the RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM lens as it weighs just 2890g, which is the lightest professional 400mm lens available for any mirrorless system at the time of launch.
Features at a glance
- Exceptional sharpness across the frame even wide open at f/2.8
- The dual power focus drive provides faster AF with compatible cameras
- Up to 5 stops of image stabilisation
- Fluorite and Super UD glass plus ASC and Super Spectra coatings
- L-series high build quality with weather sealing and heat-reflecting white finish
- Compatible with RF 1.4x and RF 2x Extender
Canon has thought about versatility of the RF 400mm f/2.8L with full-time MF letting you adjust focus as well as AF start/stop buttons which are intuitively placed on the lens barrel. Even the 2.5m close focus distance provides greater flexibility for subjects nearing the photographer.
Canon RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens in More Detail
Advanced AF Capability
Advanced AF keeps any erratic and fast-moving subjects pin sharp, assisted by a dual power focus drive which delivers faster AF with compatible cameras. Full time MF is also on hand to fine tune focus without the need for toggling an AF switch.
Exceptional image quality
Canon has integrated Fluorite and Super UD glass elements into the optical design with ASC and Super Spectra coatings resulting in clear, sharp images right across the frame, even when shooting into lights.
Low light performance
The RF 400mm lens is extremely competent in low light with a large f/2.8 aperture and an image stabilisation system with 5 stops of shake compensation. Add in the fact this is the lightest pro 400mm super telephoto prime for full frame mirrorless systems and users can achieve excellent results even when hand holding as light dips.
Durable build quality
This is a lens to use whatever the weather in any situation indoors or out, as it has been designed with legendary L-series build quality and signature heat-reflecting white finish.
Dual Power Focus Drive
The RF 400mm f/2.8L mount features a second power connection referred to as a dual power focus drive system, allowing the lens to draw more current from compatible camera bodies. This extra power is used to increase the USM speed for faster focusing, letting photographers obtain initial focus more quickly and track moving objects effortlessly.
Read more about this and the RF 600mm professional primes in our blog Canon Pro RF Super Telephoto Lenses.
What’s in the box
- RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens
- Lens Cap E-180E
- Lens hood ET-155(WIII)
- Lens Soft case LS400
- Lens Dust Cap RF
- Compatible with RF 1
|Image size||Full Frame|
|Angle of view (horzntl, vertl, diagnl)||5°10', 3°30', 6°10'|
|Lens construction (elements/groups)||17/13|
|Special optics||2x Fluorite, 1X SUD|
|No. of diaphragm blades||9|
|Closest focusing distance (m)||2.5|
|Maximum magnification (x)||0.17|
|Image stabilizer OIS||5.5|
|Image stabilizer IBIS x OIS||5.5|
|AF actuator||Ring USM|
|Coatings||ASC, Super Spectra|
|Fluorine||Front / Rear|
|Offers: Price Drop|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 168|
|Length (mm): 367|
|Weight (g): 2890|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: Yes|
|Focal length: 400 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: Yes|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 400|
|Maximum magnification: 0.17|
|Maximum aperture (number): 2.8|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 400|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 2.5|
|Minimum aperture (number): 32|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 9|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: 1 Super UD + 2 fluorite elements, Super Spectra + ASC coatings|
|Tripod collar: Yes|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Thinking of choosing finance?
Finance is a great way to spread the cost of your purchase. To make it easy we’ve teamed up with Deko whose technology lets you apply for and complete a loan application quickly, easily and informatively.
Deko is a credit broker, not a lender. Deko’s secure technology helps put you in touch with lenders whose finance options are best suited for you and your purchase.
Simply add the items you love to your basket. Once you are at the checkout select the finance option that suits you and choose Deko. The quick application form is simple and should take no more than a couple of minutes to complete and you will receive a decision instantly. Easy!
Use our finance calculator to check the impact of various loan values, terms and interest rates on the total amount you need to pay and the monthly repayments.
Check your eligibility
You will only be considered for finance if you:
- Are at least 18 years old
- You have a gross annual income each year of more than £5,000
- Are a permanent UK resident and have lived in the UK for at least 3 years
- Have a UK bank account capable of accepting Direct Debits
- You are not currently bankrupt, subject to an Individual Voluntary Agreement (IVA), or have any County Court Judgments (CCJs)
- Provide an email address so your documentation can be emailed to you.
Park Cameras Limited is a credit broker, not a lender and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 720279). We do not charge you for credit broking services. We will introduce you exclusively to finance products provided by Omni Captial Ltd.
The Deko platform is provided by Pay4Later Ltd, t/a Deko which acts as a credit broker, not a lender and does not charge you for credit broking services. Pay4Later Limited is registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/support or visit www.dekopay.com.
Find out more about paying with finance here and Deko terms here
At the time of release the Canon RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens is the lightest mirrorless 400mm lens in its class. This is significant for Canon photographers as they will be able to hand hold for longer periods when capturing beautiful wildlife, sports and action photos. Lighting conditions can be challenging for all of these subjects, but users have not only the bright f/2.8 aperture to fall back on, but also up to 5 stops of image stabilisation.
Fast moving subjects can also acquired and tracked with confidence thanks to the dual power focus drive which employs clever technology to draw extra power directly from the camera body when needed. This results in faster AF particularly when combined with Canon’s outstanding Dual Pixel Autofocus system. A full time MF override is also available for fine tuning without the need to flick any switches, along with well thought out AF start/stop buttons.
With the delayed Olympics and Euro 2020 just around the corner, pro sports photographers will definitely be eyeing up this and the RF 600mm f/4L IS USM Lens with keen interest. We also expect photographers who love outstanding imaging results for wildlife or action to consider this model as the definitive, weather sealed, professional L-Series super telephoto prime in its class.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Added to basketx
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order. Lenses are optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements and optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.