Canon RF 600mm f/4L IS USM Lens
The Canon RF 600mm f/4L IS USM Lens combines instinctive handling with exceptional results through Fluorite and Super UD glass, 5 stop IS, variable speed manual focusing and a dual power focus drive.
Currently out of stock with no accurate expected delivery
Earn 13409 Park Points
Finance available See options
Trade in & Trade up
Looking to trade in your photo equipment? Get a quote now!
Chat with a Canon product specialist about this productChat now
- Professional super telephoto lens with large f/4 aperture and 1/8 stop increments for video
- Up to 5 stops of image stabilisation compensates when shooting in low light situations
- The lens draws extra power directly from compatible cameras to deliver faster focusing
- Outstanding image quality derived from 17 elements with Fluorite glass and Air Sphere Coating
- Customisation including AF start buttons and variable speed manual focusing
Canon RF 600mm f/4L IS USM Lens Summary
The release of the Canon RF 600mm f/4L IS USM Lens marks the introduction of two new native large aperture super telephoto lenses for the full frame mirrorless EOS R system. The RF 600mm f/4L is aimed at professionals and advanced enthusiast photographers capturing wildlife, sports and action, and combines instinctive handling with exceptional results. Image quality is absolutely stunning with Fluorite glass and ASC coatings used in the optical design and the lens offers ultra-fast focusing with up to 5 stops of image stabilisation.
Features at a glance
- Large f/4 maximum aperture with 1/8 stop increments for video
- Up to 5 stops of Image Stabilisation (IS)
- Fluorite glass with ASC coatings
- Variable speed manual focusing
- Focus presets with customisable AF start buttons
- Dual Power Focus Drive
- Compatible with RF Extenders
Photographers working with moving subjects benefit from a dual power focus drive, which makes the most of the highly refined Dual Pixel AF system found in Canon cameras. The Canon RF 600mm lens mount features a second power connection, drawing extra power from compatible cameras like the EOS R5. This drives the focusing motor faster, resulting in quicker focusing speed, which lets photographers track faster moving subjects and gain initial focus even more quickly.
Image results are comparable to the equivalent EF-mount super telephoto lens, in part thanks to the inclusion of 17 optical elements arranged in 13 groups. These include fluorite glass for increased resolution and contrast as well as Canon’s Air Sphere Coating to control ghosting and flare. Users can of course expect competent weather sealing with high durability from this professional quality L-series lens.
Canon RF 600mm f/4L IS USM Lens in More Detail
Excellent low light performance
The RF 600mm f/4L IS USM delivers impeccably even in poor lighting conditions thanks to a large f/4 aperture and image stabilisation system with up to 5 stops of compensation against camera shake. This will benefit anyone working either indoors or outdoors with less than perfect light as is often the case.
Accomplished focusing performance
A dual powered ring-type USM focus drive is backed up by a high-speed CPU and optimised AF algorithms for quick, quiet focusing. The dual powered focus drive draws extra juice from any compatible camera body to increase the speed of subject acquisition and tracking speeds.
Full-time MF with three manual-focus speeds are available, enabling users to adjust focus instinctively. The barrel also includes customisable AF start buttons, which fall naturally under your finger position, especially useful when shooting video to pull focus.
Smooth bokeh and pin sharp subjects
Canon included a 9-bladed aperture for smooth bokeh and the RF 600mm f/4L IS USM lens incorporates 17 lens elements into 13 groups with sensational results. ASC and Super Spectra coatings result in excellent image control, even when shooting into light sources.
Learn more about this and the RF 400mm professional primes in our blog Canon Pro RF Super Telephoto Lenses.
What’s in the box
- RF 600mm f/4L IS USM Lens
- Lens Cap E-185C
- Lens hood ET-160 (WIII)
- Lens Soft Case LS600
- Lens Dust Cap RF
|Image size||Full Frame|
|Angle of view (horzntl, vertl, diagnl)||3°30', 2°20', 4°10'|
|Lens construction (elements/groups)||17/13|
|Special optics||2x Fluorite, 1X SUD|
|No. of diaphragm blades||9|
|Closest focusing distance (m)||4.2|
|Maximum magnification (x)||0.15|
|Image stabilizer OIS||5.5|
|Image stabilizer IBIS x OIS||5.5|
|AF actuator||Ring USM|
|Coatings||ASC, Super Spectra|
|Fluorine||Front / Rear|
This RF 600mm f/4L IS USM Lens was released together with the RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM providing Canon full frame mirrorless users with two professional-grade, large aperture super telephoto L-Series lenses. We don’t think it’s a coincidence that a fast 600mm option has been released to coincide with the postponed Euro 2020 and the Summer Olympics, arriving at a most welcome time for pro sports photographers. Being a native RF mount lens facilitates the use of native Extenders for even greater reach and Canon has spared no expense with high quality elements in this hefty 3kg prime. It shows in the results with excellent colour and contrast rendition from Fluorite glass elements and proprietary Canon Air Sphere coatings.
Acquiring and tracking subjects has been improved with a focus drive that can draw extra power from the camera body itself. This speeds up focusing to make full use of Canon’s excellent Dual Pixel AF technology. Inevitably users of this lens will find themselves working in less than ideal light at some time or other and will be pleased to hear that up to 5 stops of compensation are available from the IS system. Coupled with a large f/4 aperture and 9-blade aperture ring and this lens will deliver beautiful out of focus areas and sharper subjects when hand holding, whatever the light is doing. F stops can also be incrementally changed at 1/8 for those capturing video. As super telephoto prime lenses go, the RF 600mm f/4L IS USM is versatile, customisable and extremely agile in a variety of situations, appealing to users who demand the best possible optics available for their images.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.