Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro Lens
The RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro Lens from Canon is a fast-aperture slightly wide-angle prime, offering a versatile perspective suitable for street, portraits, travel, close-up and documentary photography.
- A fast f/1.8 aperture provides plenty of creative options for depth of field
- The naturally wide angle perspective is perfect for street, travel and macro photography
- A close focusing distance means you can get in nice and close to your subjects to capture the fine details
- Ultra compact 74.4 x 62.8mm and lightweight at just 305g for easy portability
- Built-in optical stabilisation and silent focus motor ideal for hand-held stills and video
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro Lens Summary
The Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 macro has a fast, bright aperture and offers a naturally slightly wide-angle prime perspective. This makes it a great option for street, travel and documentary photography, while also being an excellent performer in low light. 35mm is a flexible focal width which can also be used for landscapes, wider portraits and environmental shots. Read some compelling reasons why to could choose a 35mm lens here in our blog.
The RF 35mm f/1.8 macro also allows you to get in close to capture fine details at half life-size macro magnifications (1:2) and features a customisable Lens Control Ring, a useful feature found with many RF lenses. With just a 17cm close-focus distance users can create ultra close-up compositions with engaging subjects and smooth out of focus backgrounds thanks to the 9-bladed aperture.
With sharp, quiet focusing the STM Stepping Motor technology in the RF 50mm f/1.8 focuses very smoothly and in virtual-silence, making this lens ideal for stills and video.
- A fast, bright f/1.8 aperture
- Versatile focal width with close-up 1:2 macro
- Newly designed optics provide fantastic image quality with a naturally wide angle perspective
- Great for street, portrait, macro and travel photography
- Get close in to your subjects to capture fine details with 17cm close focus
- 5-stop stabilisation
- fast and silent STM focusing
- Canon 52mm Protection filter - keeps a layer of protection over the front element
- Hoya REVO SMC 52mm Circular Polarising Filter - ideal for outdoor work to reduce glare and reflections
- Hama Vario ND Filter 52mm - budget-friendly variable ND for video and long exposures
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro Lens Specifications
Standard Width Prime Macro Lens
Lens construction (elements/groups)
No. of diaphragm blades
Closest focusing distance
f/1.8 - f/22
74.4 x 62.8mm
|Offer Category: Camera Lenses|
|Offer Product Type: Canon Mirrorless Lenses|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: 5 stops|
|Diameter (mm): 74|
|Length (mm): 63|
|Weight (g): 305|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 35 mm|
|Focus method: Internal|
|Filter Thread: 52 mm|
|Full time manual: Yes|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: Canon RF|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 35.0|
|Maximum magnification: 0.500|
|Maximum aperture (number): 1.80|
|Maximum aperture (text): f/1.8|
|Max Format size: Full Frame|
|Minimum focal length: 35.0|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.17|
|Minimum aperture (number): 22.00|
|Minimum aperture (text): f/22|
|Motor type: Stepper|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 9|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: 1 aspherical element, Super Spectra Coating|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: Prime lens|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
With the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro Lens, Canon have created a lens that has a naturally wide angle perspective making it perfect for things like street, travel and documentary photography or videography. Whilst we have other RF options covering 35mm such as the budget friendly RF 24-105mm lens and more expensive RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM, neither provide the portability nor macro capabilities of this prime option.
The fast f/1.8 aperture gives you a lot of creative power when it comes to depth of field, while the close focusing distance of just 0.17m allows you to get in nice and close to your subjects, opening up all the fine details.
For those shooting moving subjects and videos, the silent STM autofocusing is smooth and steady, ideal for natural focus transitions. Cameras such as the EOS R6 also include body stabilisation making for the perfect match with this RF 35mm lens which includes 5 stops of optical stabilisation. Any Canon mirrorless shooters interested in a slightly wide angle prime, with added versatile functionality have found the perfect native option from Canon with this lens.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.