Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM Lens
The Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM is a compact mirrorless wide angle prime lens with 5-stop optical stabilisation, quiet focusing for video, high 0.5x magnification and close 0.14m minimum focus distance.
- Extremely compact and portable wide angle prime lens, which is perfect for traveling and all-day shooting
- Fast and quiet focusing with smooth focus changes, ideal for video capture as well as photography
- Built-in optical stabilisation with up to 5-stops of compensation when handholding, rising to 6.5-stops with compatible bodies
- Close minimum focus distance of just 0.14m and a high 0.5x magnification ration for close-ups and macro
- Compatible with both full-frame and APS-C format mirrorless cameras where focal width increases to 38mm
Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM Lens Summary
With a versatile RF mount, the wide angle Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM Lens is equally at home on full-frame and APS-C format Canon mirrorless cameras. This makes the compact prime lens an excellent choice for recently released EOS R10 and EOS R7 cameras, where the 1.6x crop factor results in an approximate 38mm focal width.
You can capture sharp handheld photos and smooth videos thanks to built-in optical image stabilisation of 5-stops, which rises to 6.5-stops when combined with bodies such as the R7 and full-frame EOS R6. For hybrid shooters, vloggers and videographers Canon’s STM technology in the RF 24mm prime delivers fast and extremely quiet focusing, with smooth focus changes. The lens offers yet more versatility for close-up subjects and exaggerated perspectives due to an extremely close minimum focus distance of just 14cm as well as high 0.5x maximum magnification ratio. This opens up many creative opportunities to capture not only landscapes, cityscapes and travel images, but beautiful frame-filling macro shots of anything from flowers and insects to food and products.
- Super compact and lightweight 270g prime
- Wide scenes with low distortion
- Wide maximum aperture with 9-bladed circular diaphragm for smooth bokeh
- 5-stops of optical image stabilisation
- 6.5-stops combined stabilisation with compatible camera bodies
- Fast and quiet focusing with stepping motor technology (STM)
- Around 38mm focal width with 1.6x crop factor when mounted on APS-C cameras
- Smooth focus transitions and quiet focusing for video
- Minimum focusing distance of 14cm
- High 0.5x magnification
Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM Lens in More Detail
High quality wide angle
Canon’s wide-angle RF 24mm prime is an extremely compact, lightweight lens, which features an aspheric element typically reserved for high-end lenses. This combats chromatic aberrations and field curvature, while delivering sharp results. The lens also includes advanced coatings for yet more high quality images.
Great low light performance
A wide maximum f/1.8 maximum aperture has a circular 9-bladed design which helps you to gather light in the darkest of situations, while rendering beautiful out-of-focus areas and background blur.
Super smooth and steady
With a 5-stop Optical Image Stabiliser the RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM enable you to shoot handheld with longer shutter speeds, capture smooth video with more stabilisation (6.5-stops) when combined with an EOS R body featuring an In Body Image Stabiliser.
Sharp shots from fast and quiet focus
The RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS lens includes Canon’s quiet STM (Stepping Motor), which locks onto your subject and focuses quickly, even when shooting fast-moving subjects.
Macro close-ups and wide angle scenes
A minimum focusing distance of 14cm with 0.5x magnification (or half life-size) is a great advantage for creative wide angle shots which also lets you get extra close. This helps to show your subject within its environment to tell your story.
The RF 24mm Macro lens has a customisable Control Ring that allows fine tuning of ISO, aperture as well as changing AF. There’s also a dedicated focus ring for precise manual focusing.
What’s in the box
- Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM Lens for EOS R cameras
- Lens cap E-52 II
- Lens hood EW-65B
- Lens case/pouch LP1016
- Rear cap Lens Dust Cap RF
Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM Lens Sample photos
Canon EOS R7. Settings: 1/60sec. f/2.2. ISO 100
Canon EOS R6. Settings: 1/320sec. f/5.6. ISO 200
Canon EOS R6. Settings: 1/320sec. f/2.2. ISO 200
Canon EOS R6. Settings: 1/60sec. f/1.8. ISO 800
Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM Lens Specifications
|Image size||Full Frame|
|Angle of view (horzntl, vertl, diagnl)||74°, 53°, 84°|
|Special optics||1x PMo Aspherical ,1x UD|
|No. of diaphragm blades||9|
|Closest focusing distance (m)||0.14|
|Maximum magnification (x)||0.5|
|Image stabilizer OIS1||5|
|Image stabilizer IBIS x OIS1||6.5|
|Filter diameter (mm)||52|
|Max. diameter x length(mm)2||74.4x 63.1|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: N/A|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: Yes|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: N/A|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): N/A|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: N/A|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Canon released this RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM wide angle prime lens together with the RF 15-30mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM. This adds two new models to the growing number of affordable non L-series Canon mirrorless lenses, which is great news for creators who enjoy using EOS R cameras.
The 24mm prime packs a host of features which bely its 270g weight, combining to deliver beautiful wide angle shots and close-ups even in low light situations. It includes optical stabilisation which works together with a camera body, resulting in 5.5-stops or 6.5-stops of compensation combined. This is just one of the many benefits of Canon’s powerful mirrorless system, designed to help creators capture ever better photos and videos, in any lighting.
Whether you shoot photos, videos or are a hybrid creator, the focus motor performs admirably, achieving fast and quiet focusing while tracking moving subjects tenaciously. An extremely close minimum focus distance adds to the creativity which you can explore with a wide angle of this focal range, adding to the list of subjects you can capture. Whether you travel, enjoy photographing epic landscapes or people, vlog or enjoy video, this little RF 24mm makes a great addition, which will no doubt be snapped up by a host of creators.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.