- Call us: 01444 237070
- Contact Us
- Sign In / Register
Sony FE 50mm f/1.4 GM Lens
The Sony FE 50mm f/1.4 GM Lens combines speed, versatility and image quality thanks to bright G Master optics, XD linear motors and lightweight portability in a new standard prime for full-frame E mount cameras.
Earn 1499 Park Points
Finance available See options
Trade in & Trade up
Looking to trade in your photo equipment? Get a quote now!
- New standard 50mm prime with renowned G Master optics, which render high resolution results across the frame
- Beautiful defocus areas and shallow depth of field control with an 11-bladed round aperture design
- Two fast XD linear focus motors deliver formidable AF speed while harnessing renowned Sony AF technology
- Versatile barrel controls include de-clickable aperture ring, customisable focus hold buttons, focus mode switch and more
- Robust design with dust and moisture sealing, Nano AR II coating and Fluorine coating on front elements
Sony FE 50mm f/1.4 GM Lens Summary
Combining speed, versatility and image quality, the Sony FE 50mm f/1.4 GM Lens is a new standard prime, which delivers a bright f/1.4 aperture and refined optical design, whilst remaining extremely portable and lightweight for all-day shooting.
Sony has included the latest G Master optics, which feature two XA elements, Extra Low Dispersion glass and Nano AR coatings. These combine to ensure superb corner to corner resolution along with well controlled flare, when mounted on any Sony Alpha camera, including ultra-high resolution bodies such as the 61 megapixel A7R V.
A maximum f/.1.4 aperture with 11-bladed design renders creamy defocus areas in the image, with beautiful rounded bokeh for which GM Sony lenses are renowned. This provides plenty of opportunity to capture stunning shots, such as portraits where the subject is isolated from distracting background elements.
A 50mm lens of this calibre is also well suited to weddings, street photography, travel and landscapes, and excels when recording video. Its effectiveness is enhanced by the inclusion of two XD linear focus motors, which are the most advanced in Sony’s current line-up, delivering extremely responsive and quiet AF capabilities.
Key Sony 50mm f/1.4 GM Lens Features
- Compact and portable design at 516g
- 11-bladed circular aperture design with bright f/1.4 maximum
- Two fast XD linear focus motors
- Advanced G Master optics with two XA and one ED element
- Streamlined ergonomics with customisable buttons and de-clickable aperture
- 38m minimum focus distance (MF) and 0.41m (AF)
- Maximum 0.16x magnification (AF), 0.18x (MF)
- Nano AR II coating reduces ghost and flare
- Fluorine coat
- Dust and moisture resistant design
- Compact 67mm filter thread
Sony 50mm F/1.4 GM Lens Review
Learn more about the impressive features which can help elevate your photography in our latest review. Read our Review
Sony FE 50mm f/1.4 GM Lens in More Detail
Designed for portability
With the previous generation now six years old, the latest large aperture standard prime from Sony capitalises on new optical manufacturing techniques, resulting in a lens which is around 30% lighter than the Sony Zeiss Planar T* FE 50mm F/1.4 lens.
The newer model measures just 80.6mm wide x 96mm long and weighs 516g, which is perfect as an all-day walk around option for general snapshots.
Exhilarating optical performance
With enhanced G Master optics the Sony FE 50mm f/1.4 GM Lens is capable of rendering high resolution results from corner to corner. The latests lens technology includes 14 elements in 11 groups, with two XA (extreme aspherical) lenses and one ED (extra low dispersion) element.
XA lenses minimise aberrations, whilst the ED glass suppresses chromatic aberration, resulting in consistently well-controlled results irrespective of subject. Sony also added their latest Nano AR coating II in order to subdue flare and ghosting, which also helps to maintain contrast when capturing backlit subjects.
Beautiful bokeh and creamy defocus
An 11-blade rounded aperture design and wide f/1.4 maximum aperture help you to capture beautiful rounded bokeh and soft, out of focus areas in the frame. This enables you to experiment with an extremely shallow depth of field, separating your subject and rendering smooth creamy bokeh, which live up to the G Master name. Onion rings are also well suppressed thanks to the XA elements.
For added versatility in both MF and AF, users can experiment by shooting close to their subjects, with a high magnification in order to fill the frame. In manual focus you can get as close as 0.38m to your subject, or 0.41m when shooting in autofocus mode, with 0.18x and 0.16x maximum magnification respectively.
Fast, near silent AF
Two of Sony’s fast XD linear focus motors are included in the design, which keep up with high speed burst shooting and tracking, as well as high-speed video at speeds even up to 120fps. Stills AF is up to 1.9x faster than the preceding Zeiss lens, with subtle physical vibration and noise during focusing.
Shared lens attributes
The latest FE 50mm f/1.4 GM joins two previously released GM prime lenses with similar attributes, for a trio of premium primes, with the FE 24mm F/1.4 GM and FE 35mm F/1.4 GM lenses. This similar size and weight distribution between all three models is perfect for gimbal mounting and sharing 67mm lens filters.
Supports customisable workflows
For exceptional useability the Sony 50mm f/1.4 lens provides extensive controls throughout the lens barrel. These include:
- De-clickable aperture ring with F-stop engravings
- Iris lock prevents aperture ring changes
- Two focus hold buttons which can be customised via camera body
- Focus mode switch to change between MF/AF
- Focus ring with linear response MF and fine focus control
Designed for field work
In support of outdoor creators, the FE 50mm F/1.4 features comprehensive dust and moisture sealing and a Fluorine coating to reduce the impact of dirt, dust and smears on external elements. This reduces the requirements for cleaning the lens, whilst keeping it free from debris to minimise post processing requirements.
With Sony A7R V. Camera settings: 1/640 sec. f/1.4. ISO 100
With Sony A7R V. Camera settings: 1/250 sec. f/2.8. ISO 100
With Sony A7R V. Camera settings: 1/160 sec. f/1.4. ISO 100
With Sony A7R V. Camera settings: 1/160 sec. f/1.4. ISO 640
What’s in the box
- Sony FE 50mm f/1.4 GM Lens for Sony E Mount
- Lens hood
- Lens front cap
- Lens rear cap
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: N/A|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: N/A|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): N/A|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: N/A|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Thinking of choosing finance?
Finance is a great way to spread the cost of your purchase. To make it easy we’ve teamed up with Deko whose technology lets you apply for and complete a loan application quickly, easily and informatively.
Deko is a credit broker, not a lender. Deko’s secure technology helps put you in touch with lenders whose finance options are best suited for you and your purchase.
Simply add the items you love to your basket. Once you are at the checkout select the finance option that suits you and choose Deko. The quick application form is simple and should take no more than a couple of minutes to complete and you will receive a decision instantly. Easy!
Use our finance calculator to check the impact of various loan values, terms and interest rates on the total amount you need to pay and the monthly repayments.
Check your eligibility
You will only be considered for finance if you:
- Are at least 18 years old
- You have a gross annual income each year of more than £5,000
- Are a permanent UK resident and have lived in the UK for at least 3 years
- Have a UK bank account capable of accepting Direct Debits
- You are not currently bankrupt, subject to an Individual Voluntary Agreement (IVA), or have any County Court Judgments (CCJs)
- Provide an email address so your documentation can be emailed to you.
Please note that, due to calculations, your monthly repayment may differ very slightly from what you were expecting. Please check your monthly repayment figure before proceeding
Missed or late payments will result in fees and additional interest on your loan and can also affect your credit file and your ability to obtain credit in the future.
Credit is subject to status, UK only, 18+
Park Cameras Limited is a credit broker, not a lender and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 720279). We do not charge you for credit broking services. We will introduce you exclusively to finance products provided by Duologi.
The Deko platform is provided by Pay4Later Ltd, t/a Deko which acts as a credit broker, not a lender and does not charge you for credit broking services. Pay4Later Limited is registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/support or visit www.dekopay.com.
Find out more about paying with finance here and Deko terms here
Fast aperture 50mm prime lenses are a staple choice for content creators and the introduction of the Sony FE 50mm f/1.4 GM Lens provides a brilliant new option for Alpha shooters. It combines the latest lens technologies at Sony’s disposal, with results which have become synonymous with G Master lenses, with smooth defocus areas, beautiful bokeh and a shallow depth of field.
Results are consistently sharp across the frame, with well controlled artefacts, minimal aberrations and extremely high resolving power as required by high resolution sensors. Autofocus is also extremely proficient, with two XD linear motors moving the focus groups with minimal fuss and noise. This ensures you can acquire and track subjects with ease, especially when combined with AF technologies found in recent Sony cameras.
The 50mm f/1.4 GM is also extremely versatile with close focus capabilities and shared properties with two other f/1.4 prime lenses in the range. This allows you to bring a trio of primes with the same filter threads, bright aperture and similar weight for balancing on gimbals and sharing filters.
Naturally the 50mm f/1.4 is well sealed against the elements and includes mark II Nano coating to maintain integrity when capturing backlit subjects along with a Fluorine coating to reduce maintenance. With such a popular standard focal length and contemporary features, adding the Sony 50mm f/1.4 GM lens to your collection will open up new creative avenues, across the entire spectrum of genres.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Added to basketx
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order. Lenses are optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements and optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.