Sony a7R V Mirrorless Camera Body
The full-frame Sony a7R V Camera Body offers 61MP stills, new deep learning AI subject recognition, 8K/24p video with no pixel binning and up to 8-stop image stabilisation, for professional hybrid capabilities
- Huge leap for Sony’s high resolution hybrid camera with 61MP images, 8K/24fps video full pixel readout and high speed 4K/60fps
- Significantly upgraded Autofocus technology with deep learning AI-driven processing for humans, animals, birds, vehicles and insects
- Improved low light performance, AE algorithm, more accurate colour reproduction and improved auto white balance
- Up to 10fps RAW burst shooting with AF/AE tracking writing to two CFexpress cards, with class-leading Quad XGA EVF and 3-axis LCD
- Up to 8-stop stills optical stabilisation and new active mode for movie shooting together with multi-resolution RAW modes
Sony a7R V Mirrorless Camera Body Summary
The next generation high-resolution full-frame mirrorless Alpha camera arrives for enthusiast and professional photographers, in the form of the Sony a7R V Camera Body. This update marks a significant turning point for the entire Sony alpha camera range, by introducing new deep learning AI subject recognition, which delivers improved recognition and real-time tracking of humans, animals, birds, vehicles and insects.
Despite capturing 61 megapixel images from the full-frame back-illuminated sensor, you can now shoot RAW at up to 10fps and record 8K 24p video with full pixel readout and no binning. The sensor also offers wider AF coverage, with 693 Phase-detection AF points and harnesses deep learning AI to acquire and track a broader range of subjects including airplanes, cars, trains and an ever-increasing number of animals.
Sony hasn’t stopped there, ensuring the durable aluminium body is adopted by advanced users across genres like studio, portraiture, wildlife, landscapes, weddings and other subjects where the ultimate image quality is highly desirable.
To meet these demands, the ILCE-7RM5 body includes a class-leading 9M dot EVF and new 4-axis/4-way multi-angle LCD touchscreen for difficult angles and clear shooting. Skin tones have been improved in the a7R V, together with better Auto White Balance, improved low light performance and incredible in-body stabilisation delivering up to 8-stop compensation from the upgraded 5-axis IBIS unit. The Imaging Edge desktop app has also been updated to compensate for movement when shooting pixel shift multi shot, helping creators achieve perfect billboard sized images even when minor movements take place in the scene.
Key Sony a7R V Features
- 61 megapixel full-frame back-illuminated Exmor R image sensor +BIONZ XR
- New AI powered deep learning real-time autofocus system
- True hybrid capabilities with 8K 24p video, 10-bit 4:2:2 with full pixel readout and no binning
- 4K 60fps / 6.2K oversampling
- 5-Axis in-body stabilisation for up to 8-stops plus new Active mode video IS
- S-Cinetone and S-LOG picture profiles
- Upgraded 693 Phase-detection AF points covering 79% of the sensor
- Human recognition of poses, faces, nose, eye, ear and more
- Advanced animal, bird, vehicle, insect subject recognition
- Improved low light performance
- Improved Auto white balance and more natural skin tones
- Upgraded 240MP pixel shift multi shot with automatic movement detection through Imaging Edge App
- Up to 10fps with AF/AE for 88 uncompressed RAW and 184 compressed RAW
- New 4-axis multi-angle LCD touchscreen
- Class-leading 9M dot quad-XGA EVF
- Dual CFexpress memory card slots
- New heat dissipation for 8K recording
- New lossless RAW compression and multi-resolution JPEG or RAW oversampling
Sony a7R V mirrorless camera in more detail
Extraordinary subject recognition
AI processing is at the heart of the Sony a7R V, which defines the capabilities of this generation high resolution body. This system enables you to achieve fast, accurate and consistent Real-time autofocus tracking of subjects through unique AI-driven technology. With this professional camera, you can capture sharp pictures and video, even in difficult shooting conditions.
Upgraded phase detection AF
Sony’s proficient phase-detection system benefits from wide area high density AF, which is now faster and more precise. 79% of the sensor is covered using 693 AF points when a full-frame lens is attached, up from 567 points and 74% coverage in the a7R IV. The 693 AF points are available regardless of whether shooting in full-sensor or crop mode, which is ideal for distant subjects including action and wildlife.
Improved subject recognition
Every aspect of the a7R V’s ability to recognise subjects has been improved, along with the addition of new subjects and dedicated human AI processing. This estimates human poses, intelligently recognises the nose, left and right eyes, ears, shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips, knees and ankles. This signifiant upgrade will influence all future camera releases with a system that harnesses deep learning and ever-improving AF and real-time tracking capabilities for stills and video.
The system works regardless of whether the subject is extremely small in the frame, recognises the head, body and eye of animals and birds. You can also accurately track cars, planes and trains, as well as increasing the number of animals and insects, which are recognised. The table below highlights in bold the new AI based subject recognition features.
Car / Train
Animal / Bird
Class leading image quality
Where the previous generation body marked a new era in high resolution full-frame capabilities, this generation mark V camera takes imaging to the next level through:
- Improved low light capabilities – Sony’s best low sensitivity in alpha history
- Improved AE algorithm and colour reproduction – more accurate lifelike skin tones and more preferable colour reproduction of nature for landscapes
- Improved Auto White Balance – AWB performance has evolved due to AI processing to provide more accurate colours, particularly in shaded scenes
- Improved Pixel Sift Multi mode – Sony’s new Imaging Edge Desktop app will now detect and correct minor pixel movements which naturally occur, correcting people or leaves moving during multi shot compositing in huge 240 megapixel images. This benefits the a7R V as well as the flagship Sony alpha 1.
- APS-C crop mode provides extra reach for nature and wildlife enthusiasts, with maximum 26MP quality.
Faster high-speed shooting even at high resolutions
With 61 megapixels available the a7R V is able to shoot continuously as up to 10fps with AF/AE tracking for a greater number of shots. You can now capture approximately 88 uncompressed RAW + JPEG, approximately 184 compressed RAW + JPEG as well as 1000+ JPEG-only. This provides ample opportunity to use the a7R V for fast paced action if required, with the ability to crop more heavily for sports, wildlife and bird photography.
High resolution video quality
In full-frame mode you can capture beautiful 8K video at 24fps with full pixel readout without pixel binning. For slow motion effects the a7R V also records 4K at 60fps in-camera, thanks to a new heat dissipation structure, which enables you to record high resolution 8K at 24fps.
When using Super 35mm mode you can capture 4K 30fps with full pixel readout without binning and 6.2K oversampling.
In addition to 8K and 4K recording, you can enjoy a professional video experience with 10-bit 4:2:2 recording, S-Cinetone and S-LOG picture profiles. Unique to the Sony eco-system, it also includes features like active stabilisation and breathing compensation, for a professional experience when using Sony lenses.
Improved ergonomics, user experience and workflow
Sony has included a new 4-axis/4-way multi-angle LCD monitor with the a7R V, which provides side-opening and fully tilting operation. The 3.2-inch type screen offers approximately 2095-dot resolution for clearer previews.
A class leading Quad-XGA electronic viewfinder adds to the experience with a 0.64-type 9440K dot screen, which provides 0.90x magnification and 41º FOV. This can be used in standard 60fps or 120fps high frame rates depending on the shooting situation.
The Alpha 7RV aims to provide a smooth platform for photographers and video content creators who want to focus on their craft, with the durable aluminium body and shutter taken from the a1.
5-axis optical stabilisation
An upgraded in-body stabilisation unit provides up to 8-stops of compensation against camera shake, enabling you to handhold the camera even in the darkest low light situations for stills images.
A new upgraded active mode also makes it possible to compensate when using longer telephoto and heavier lenses, which often results in larger camera shakes, although not currently available in 8K, nor when shooting over 100 fps.
New lossless RAW compression mode
A full resolution lossless RAW compression mode results in approximately 50% – 80% smaller file sizes without degradation. This accompanies 100% uncompressed and lossy compressed RAW giving you three modes to choose from.
The a7R V is also a true multi-resolution camera, enabling users to select image size in RAW and JPEG to suit any needs.
In full-frame mode you can choose between three RAW settings and three JPEG (HEIF) settings with two available in APS-C mode (medium / small) for both RAW and JPEG. This provides seamless flexibility for different situations from distant wildlife subjects to full uncompressed RAW, where every pixel matters in a portrait, landscape, city or interior shot.
Dual CFexpress card slots
The a7R V features two media slots which support UHS-I and UHS-II SDXC/SDHC cards, as well as Sony’s CFexpress Type A memory cards with considerably faster read/write speeds. These are available in CFexpress Type A 80GB, 160GB Type A CFexpress and the Sony 640GB CFexpress Type A. These are capable of capturing 8K movie data and high-resolution bursts, which the camera delivers at 800 MB/s read and 700 MB/s write speeds.
The a7RV arrives with updated connectivity including high speed Wi-Fi 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz transfer speeds and a SuperSpeed USB-C 10Gbps connection for remote control or to transfer your content more quickly. The camera also allows you to record in both CFexpress type A or SD in its two card slots for reliable media storage solution.
Further connectivity includes:
- Multi / Micro USB Terminal
- USB Type-C® Terminal
- Sync. Terminal
- Wireless LAN (built-in)
- Bluetooth (Bluetooth Standard Ver. 5.0 (2.4GHz band))
- HDMI connector Type-A
- Multi Interface Shoe with Digital Audio Interface
- Mic Terminal 3.5 mm Stereo minijack
- Headphone Terminal 3.5 mm Stereo minijack
- Remote Control (Wireless)
- Vertical Grip Connector
Extensive mirrorless lens selection
Anyone shooting with Sony alpha cameras gains instant access to 60+ new Sony e-mount mirrorless lenses and a wealth of used Sony lenses. The range also benefits from updated second generation glass, such as the Sony 70-200mm F/2.8 GM OSS Mark II and Sony 24-70mm F/2.8 GM II, and numerous options from seven third-party lens manufacturers.
A series of powerful G Master prime lenses are also available, with wide maximum apertures to take advantage of the high resolution sensor, including the Sony FE 50mm F/1.2 GM Lens and 35mm F/1.4 GM Lens.
This ensures whichever style of content you create, you’ll be able to utilise the perfect lens for your images and videos.
What’s in the box
- Sony a7R V Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera Body
- Rechargeable Battery NP-FZ100
- Battery Charger BC-QZ1
- Power cord
- Cable Protector
- Shoulder strap
- Body cap
- Accessory shoe cap
- Eyepiece cup
- USB-A to USB-C cable (USB 3.2)
Sony a7R V Mirrorless Camera Sample Images
A7R V with Sony FE 70-200mm F/2.8 GM OSS Mark II Lens @200mm. Camera settings: 1/3200sec. f/3.2. ISO 640 ©Gamander Lopez
A7R V with Sony FE 12-24mm F/2.8 GM Lens @200mm. Camera settings: 1/3200sec. f/3.2. ISO 640 ©Albert Dross
Sony a7R V Mirrorless Camera Specifications
|Type||35mm full frame (35.7 x 23.8 mm), Exmor R CMOS sensor|
|Number of pixels (effective)||Approx. 61.0 megapixels|
|Number of pixels (total)||Approx. 62.5 megapixels|
|Image sensor aspect ratio||3:2|
|Color filter||R, G, B primary color|
|Anti-Dust function||Yes (Charge protection coating on Optical Filter and ultrasonic vibration mechanism)|
|Recording format||JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver. 2.32, MPF Baseline compliant), HEIF (MPEG-A MIAF compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 4.0 format compliant)|
|Audio Level Display||Yes|
|Audio Rec Level||Yes|
|Auto Slow Shutter||Yes|
|Gamma Disp. Assist||Yes|
|RAW Output||Yes (HDMI)|
|Type||Fast Hybrid AF (phase-detection AF / contrast-detection AF)|
|Focus sensor||Exmor R CMOS sensor|
|Focus point||35mm full frame: 693 points (phase-detection AF), APS-C mode with FF lens: 693 points (phase-detection AF), with APS-C lens: 567 points (phase-detection AF) / 25 points (contrast-detection AF)|
|Sensitivity range||EV-4 to EV20 (ISO100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)|
|AF mode||AF-A (Automatic AF), AF-S (Single-shot AF), AF-C (Continuous AF), DMF (Direct Manual Focus), Manual Focus|
|Focus area||Wide / Zone / Center Fix / Spot / Expand Spot / Tracking|
|Eye AF||Human (Right/Left Eye Select) / Animal (Right/Left Eye Select) / Bird / Insect / Car・Train / Airplane|
|AF illuminator||Yes (with Built-in LED type)|
|AF illuminator range||Approx. 0.3 m - approx. 3.0 m (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)|
|Type||Electronically-controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane type|
|Shutter Type||Mechanical shutter / Electronic shutter|
|Shutter speed||Still images: 1/8000 to 30 s, Bulb, Movies: 1/8000 to 1/4 (1/3 steps), up to 1/50 in AUTO mode (up to 1/25 in Auto slow shutter mode)|
|With battery and memory Card included||Approx. 723 g|
|oz. With battery and memory card included||Approx. 1 lb 9.6 oz|
|Body only||Approx. 638 g|
|oz Body only||Approx. 1 lb 6.6 oz|
|DIMENSIONS (W x H x D)||Approx. 131.3 x 96.9 x 82.4 mm, Approx. 131.3 x 96.9 x 72.3 mm (FROM GRIP TO MONITOR)|
|inches. DIMENSIONS (W x H x D)||Approx. 5 1/4 x 3 7/8 x 3 1/4 inches, Approx. 5 1/4 x 3 7/8 x 2 7/8 inches (FROM GRIP TO MONITOR)|
|Operating temperature||0 - 40 ℃ / 32 - 104 °F|
|Offer Category: Digital Cameras|
|Offer Product Type: Mirrorless Cameras|
|Model: Sony A7R V|
|AE Bracketing: N/A|
|Autofocus Modes: N/A|
|Articulated Screen: N/A|
|Aperture priority: Yes|
|Built-in flash: N/A|
|Battery Life (CIPA): 530|
|Camera CIPA image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Continuous drive (fps): 10.0|
|Custom white balance: Yes|
|Digital zoom: Yes|
|Effective pixels (megapixels): 60|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Exposure compensation: N/A|
|External flash: Yes|
|Flash range (metres): N/A|
|Focal length (equiv.): N/A|
|Focal length multiplier: 1.00|
|Flash modes: N/A|
|HDMI Port: N/A|
|Headphone port: Yes|
|Height (mm): 97|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Width (mm): 131|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Weight (inc. batteries) (g): 723|
|Image ratio w:h: N/A|
|Camera Image stabilization: N/A|
|ISO: Auto, ISO 100 - 32000 (expands to 50 - 102400)|
|JPEG quality levels: Extra fine, fine, standard, light|
|Live view: Yes|
|Camera Lens mount: N/A|
|Manual exposure mode: Yes|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic): N/A|
|Maximum ISO: 32000|
|Maximum ISO (boosted): 102800|
|Max resolution: N/A|
|Maximum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Maximum aperture: N/A|
|Manual focus: Yes|
|Microphone port: Yes|
|Camera Minimum focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum ISO: 100|
|Minimum ISO (boosted): 50|
|Minimum macro focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Metering modes: N/A|
|Number of focus points: 693|
|Number of white balance presets: 9|
|Optical zoom multiplier: N/A|
|Orientation sensor: Yes|
|Other resolutions: N/A|
|Processor: BIONZ XR|
|Remote control: N/A|
|Screen dots: 2100000|
|Screen size: N/A|
|Screen type: N/A|
|Shutter priority: Yes|
|Sensor photo detectors (megapixels): 63.00|
|Sensor size: N/A|
|Sensor type: N/A|
|Storage types: N/A|
|Subject / scene modes: N/A|
|Timelapse recording: Yes|
|Camera Type: N/A|
|Uncompressed format: N/A|
|Camera USB: N/A|
|USB charging: N/A|
|Viewfinder coverage: N/A|
|Viewfinder magnification: N/A|
|Viewfinder resolution: 9440000|
|Viewfinder type: N/A|
|Video formats: N/A|
|Video Mode Categories: N/A|
|Video Modes: N/A|
|WB Bracketing: Yes|
At first glance the a7R V appears to be a simple evolution of the previous generation, however on closer inspection this could well be a revolutionary update. Sony has made a significant move to help users achieve perfect focusing through artificial intelligence subject detection, thanks to a newly developed AI processing system. This will help photographers gain focus and more accurately track a wider range of subjects with a continuously improving deep learning system.
The entire camera body has also been refined, with the goal of creating the perfect tool for photographers to achieve the highest possible image quality, whether shooting photos or videos. From the updated EVF with class-leading clarity, to the 3-axis high resolution LCD monitor and 8-stop image stabilisation system. You’ll also enjoy more accurate colour reproduction of skin tones and auto white balance, ensuring the a7R V delivers closer to perfection across the board.
Dual CFexpress cards allow you to capture up to 10fps RAW bursts and the camera offers multi resolution RAW and JPEG modes to suit any shooting situation.
The rise in video demands hasn’t been ignored, with upgraded heat dissipation actively cooling the body when shooting 8K movies, while also handling high frame rates, autofocus and processing. This generation is a thoroughbred high resolution hybrid camera for photographers who also shoot beautiful videos.
The list of a7R V upgrades is hard to ignore, regardless of whether you need to nail perfectly sharp images at high speeds or capture beautifully accurate low light landscapes. You can shoot high resolution stills for longer and wide dynamic range 8K video for the first time in an R-series body. Sony has taken the highest resolution model and adapted it into one of the most accomplished hybrid cameras in their line-up, with autofocus technology which is sure to influence all future Alpha camera releases.
Learn more about this camera in our Sony a7R V Review.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order. Lenses are optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements and optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.