Sony FE 40mm f/2.5 G Lens
The FE 40mm f/2.5 G Lens is the middle focal width prime in a trio of affordable lenses from Sony with a bright aperture, excellent image quality plus fast, precise AF and tracking for images and videos
- Extremely lightweight 173g. full frame 4
- Two linear focus motors provide fast, precise AF with excellent tracking for
- Nine optical elements ensure corner to corner sharpness with beautiful high resolution results
- Sophisticated build-quality with an aluminium exterior, engraved markings and rubber mount ring
- One in a trio of lenses of similar size, weight and filter thread size for fast lens changes and universal compatibility
Sony FE 40mm f/2.5 G Lens Summary
Introducing the Sony FE 40mm f/2.5 G Lens, an exciting full frame option released as one of a trio of prime lenses designed to provide high quality results whilst remaining extremely compact and lightweight. The 40mm f/2.5 G is accompanied by the Sony FE 24mm f/2.8 G Lens and 50mm f/2.5 G Lens which all sport a similar size, weight and universal filter thread, allowing photographers and videographers to switch quickly between them.
The 40mm f/2.5 lens packs two fast linear motors which work seamlessly with advanced Sony AF systems found across their mirrorless camera range. The lens will acquire and track subjects smoothly and silently regardless of whether recording videos or images, or how quickly the subject changes direction. This focal width presents opportunities for users of all levels to capture a wide range of subjects including portraits, travel and is an excellent choice for day to day shooting.
Features at a glance
- High resolving power with high levels of sharpness visible across the frame
- Bright f/2.5 aperture with smooth bokeh from a 7-bladed round aperture
- Truly portable with a weight of only 173g. and measuring just 68 x 45mm
- Two linear motors deliver fast, precise AF with excellent tracking capabilities
- Highly refined optics with three aspherical elements provide beautiful results
- Close-focus of 25cm (manual) and 28cm in AF for dynamic compositions
- Full frame and APS-C compatible
- High quality aluminium exterior, engraved markings and a premium feel
Sony FE 40mm f/2.5 G Lens in More Detail
The optical design using three aspherical elements delivers high resolution throughout the frame whilst suppressing colour fringing. The results are accomplished showing high corner-to-corner resolution and smooth rounded bokeh.
With such a lightweight and compact design this is an excellent full frame prime for cityscapes, landscapes and videography, as well as being suitable for portraits with a slightly wider focal width.
A bright f/2.5 aperture with 7-rounded blades delivers strong low light performance together with pleasing bokeh helping to separate the subject from any background distractions when this style is desired.
Users employing Sony’s advanced AF systems gain extremely quick and quiet focus capabilities thanks to two linear focus motors. Regardless of whether shooting movies or stills AF is snappy and tracks subjects easily as they move around.
The Sony 40mm f/2.5 G lens handles very well and has a premium feel due to being made from aluminium. This sophisticated theme continues as Sony has engraved the iris ring indices, focal length markings and their logo on the hood. Add in a rubber mount ring for weather resistance and the lens feels like it can travel anywhere and look the part as much as any Sony E-mount lenses.
This 40mm is featured together with the other two new lenses in our blog post Sony Scores Hat-Trick With 3 New Lenses, well worth a look if you are considering pulling the trigger on any of these.
What’s in the box
- Sony FE 40mm f/2.5 G Lens
- Hood ALC-SH166
- Lens front cap ALC-F49S
- Lens rear cap ALC-R1EM
- Hama - Compensate for bright light when shooting videos and make long exposure images with this excellent neutral density filter
- Hoya - Ideal for landscapes and seascapes to help cut down glare and reflections, as well as make the sky more blue from certain angles
- Hoya R - Ultraviolet light filter which also protects the front element
Sony FE 40mm f/2.5 G Lens Sample images
Mounted on Sony A7 III. Exposure: 1/200. f/4 ISO 125
Mounted on Sony A7 III. Exposure: 1/400. f/10 ISO 500
Mounted on Sony A7 III. Exposure: 1/500. f/2.5 ISO 100
|Lens mount||Sony E-mount|
|Format||35mm full frame|
|35mm equivalent focal-length (APS-C) (mm)||60|
|Lens construction (groups-elements)||44448|
|Angle of view (APS-C)*1||39|
|Angle of view (35mm)||57|
|Maximum aperture (F)||2.5|
|Minimum aperture (F)||22|
|Number of aperture blade||7|
|Minimum focus distance (m)||0.28m(AF) 0.25m(MF)|
|Minimum focus distance (ft)||0.92ft(AF) 0.82ft(MF)|
|Maximum magnification ratio (x)||x 0.2(AF) x 0.23(MF)|
|Filter diameter (mm)||49|
|Image stabilization (SteadyShot)||- (body-integrated)|
|Teleconverter compatibility (x1.4)||Incompatible|
|Teleconverter compatibility (x2.0)||Incompatible|
|Hood type||Cap type|
|Offers: Price Drop|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: Yes|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 68|
|Length (mm): 45|
|Weight (g): 173|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 40 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: Yes|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 40|
|Maximum magnification: 0.23|
|Maximum aperture (number): 2.50|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 40|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.25|
|Minimum aperture (number): 22|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 7|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: 3 aspherical elements|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
The release of the Sony FE 40mm f/2.5 G Lens provides photographers and videographers with a highly compact and lightweight, slightly wider than standard focal width prime. 40mm is an interesting width versatile enough to cater for subjects as diverse as landscapes and travel to documentary and portraits, as well as video. A bright aperture with rounded blades adds to the appeal when shooting portraits, providing smooth bokeh along with impressive capabilities even when light levels drop considerably.
Fast dual focus motors are able to achieve focus for a wide range of subjects, particularly when combined with Sony’s celebrated phase-detect AF system. Their near silent operation also lends the 40mm f/2.5 G lens to video, as motor sounds won’t be audible when recording movies. There is a strong case for collecting all three lenses in this series, particularly as their combined weight is just a hair over 500g. This means content creators can travel lightweight with all three options with universally sized lenses covering a good range of focal widths, without breaking the bank or their back. The size and weight of each lens is quite an achievement when you consider the quality of optics enclosed and the high quality metal barrel design. If you are in the market for an affordable, compact and high quality standard focal width lens this option from Sony is hard to beat.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order. Lenses are optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements and optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.