Sony a7 Full Frame Mirrorless Camera Body
This product has been discontinued.
The full frame 24.3MP Sony a7 mirrorless camera rivals leading DSLRs with outstanding detail, sensitivity and quality in a truly compact body, adding Full HD video and BIONZ X high speed processing.
Trade in & Trade up
Looking to trade in your photo equipment? Get a quote now!
- Sony a7 compact system camera Body - full frame interchangeable-lens camera
- New BIONZ X processor with approximately 3x faster processing speed[i] and new area-specific noise reduction for improved image quality
- Newly-developed fast intelligent AF is 35% quicker than conventional contrast-detection autofocus
- Improved XGA OLED Tru-Finder with wide field of view
- Practical, reliable and intuitive with dust/moisture-resistant magnesium alloy body and extensive custom controls
- AVCHD Progressive Full HD (1920x1080 - 60p/25p[ii]) movie recording with audio level control and clean HDMI output
- 4K photo output and support for TRILUMINOS Display
- NFC and Wi-Fi for easy connection with smartphones & tablets
24.3 MP 35mm full frame sensor
Sony, one of the world's leading makers of image sensors, combined its top new technologies to achieve the high resolution and image quality in history. This revolutionary 35mm full-frame Exmorª CMOS image sensor collects light with record efficiency to achieve high sensitivity, a wide dynamic range and an incredible new level of realism while significantly reducing noise.
The exceptional performance of the image sensor was achieved through various advanced sensor features. First, compressing circuitry height dramatically increases the amount of light collected by each pixel, while photodiode expansion technology increased the size of the photodiode at every pixel to improve the sensor's dynamic range and further raise sensitivity while maintaining low noise and achieving a high S/N ratio.
BIONZ X processor
Sony proudly introduces the new BIONZ X image processing engine, which faithfully reproduces textures and details in real time, as seen by the naked eye, via extra high-speed processing capabilities. Together with front-end LSI (large scale integration) that accelerates processing in the earliest stages, it enables more natural details, more realistic images, rcher tonal gradations and lower noise whether you shoot still images or movies.
Detail reproduction and diffraction reduction
Two new technologies bring out the full performance of sensor and lenses. Detail reproduction technology prevents the overemphasized outlines that plague most digital images. Diffraction reduction suppresses the effects of diffraction, which causes points of light to appear blurred especially at small aperture settings (large F-numbers). By taking the aperture setting into account, this technology faithfully restores clarity to points of light and other fine details, for beautiful landscapes, portraiture, and more.
Area-specific noise reduction
Area-specific noise reduction is now more powerful than ever. It selectively divides the image into areas based on patterns (such as edges, textures and evenly colored areas like blue skies), and then applies the most appropriate noise reduction for each area to improve image quality, especially at high-sensitivity settings. Working together with Sony's detail reproduction, it gives supremely clear, detailed images.
16-bit processing + 14-bit RAW
16-bit image processing and 14-bit RAW output help preserve maximum detail and produce images of the highest quality with rich tonal gradations. The 14-bit RAW (Sony ARW) format ensures optimal quality for later image adjustment (via Image Data Converter or other software).
Controls, customization and navigation
Despite compact dimensions, the 7 features front and rear dials for intuitive setting of exposure, a control wheel for setting ISO, and an exposure compensation dial. Quick Navi Pro displays all major shooting options on the LCD screen so you can rapidly confirm settings and make adjustments as desired without searching through dedicated menus. Button customization empowers you to shoot just the way you like, with frequently used functions assigned to the customizable buttons of your choice. You can easily assign any of 46 functions to any of 9 buttons; up to 12 key functions can be assigned to the Fn button for quick access.
Tiltable LCD screen
7.5 cm, 1.2 million dot LCD offers high resolution and flexible composition options.
Magnesium alloy body
Thanks to this outstandingly light and strong metal, the 7 weighs 474 grams with battery less than half the weight of leading DSLRs but has the durability for years of performance.
Substantial, ergonomic grip
The 7 is 25% less bulky than leading DSLRs, but still features a full-size grip for all-day shooting comfort.
Anti-dust system and coating
To keep your photos blemish free, an anti-dust mechanism vibrates ultrasonically whenever you switch off the camera to remove any particles adhering to the image sensor. An anti-static coating also helps prevent dust and other particles from adhering to the sensor when changing lenses.
Dust and moisture resistance 3
Durability-enhancing measures include sealing around the buttons and dials, as well as a protective double-layered structure that tightly interlocks panels and components.
XGA OLED Tru-Finder
This viewfinder features high 1024x768 resolution, OLED improvements and the same 3-lens optical system used in the flagship 99 despite the compact body. The viewfinder displays the effects of your camera settings, so you can accurately monitor the results. You'll enjoy rich tonal gradations and three times the contrast of the 99. High-end features like 100% frame coverage, wide viewing angle, information display modes, peaking function, and focus magnifier are also provided.
The unique combination of 35mm full-frame sensor, audio production features and flexible lens interchangeability means a new level of portable moviemaking. The new accelerated BIONZ X image-processing engine also enables area-specific noise reduction and detail reproduction technology to be applied to movies for the very first time, resulting in ultra-fine detail and exceptionally low noise. Features like Picture Effect, full HDMI output for an external monitor, P/A/S/M modes, and full 1080p AVCHD Progressive format, and the choice of 60p/24p recording further expand the options.
Audio recording & monitoring
During movie recording and playback, you can monitor the sound using headphones connected to the 7 via the headphone jack, check levels with the display controls, or attach professional sound gear using the industry-standard XLR terminal adaptor kit.
Enhanced Fast Hybrid Autofocus
Numerous features contribute to the 7's autofocus capabilities: the new lightning-fast BIONZ X, high-speed full-frame image sensor output, and a newly developed Spatial Object Detection AF algorithm that conducts focusing analysis in real-time using spatial frequency information to optimally control the lens drive.
New Eye Autofocus
Even when capturing a subject partially turned away from the camera with a shallow depth of field, the face will be sharply focused thanks to extremely accurate eye detection that can prioritize a single pupil. A green frame appears over the prioritized eye when focus has been achieved for easy confirmation. Eye AF can be used when the function is assigned to a customizable button, allowing users to instantly activate it depending on the scene.
Lock-on Autofocus and area setting options
Lock-on AF adjusts the target frame size based on subject characteristics and makes use of a wide AF area to ensure usage of the optimal AF point for smooth, stable autofocusing. Just press the shutter button halfway to activate it. New BIONZ X ensures swifter subject tracking and detection performance than ever before. When using the Flexible Spot AF area setting, you can select a small, medium-sized or large AF area to match the size of your subject and help ensure the camera focuses on the intended area. Wide and Zone focus area settings are also available.
New AF area setting options
When using the Flexible Spot AF area setting, you can select a small, medium-sized or large AF area to match the size of your subject and help ensure the camera focuses on the intended area. Wide and Zone focus area settings are also available.
Full HD 60p video
Create movies of amazing clarity that play extra smoothly by recording them at Full HD resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels) in the AVCHD Ver. 2.0 (Progressive) format - at the extremely high frame rate of 60 fps. The 7 also supports 24p movie recording, which gives your movies a subtle look that movie lovers everywhere associate with the cinema.
Picture of 7 E-mount Camera with Full Frame Sensor
One-touch remote and one-touch sharing
One-touch remote lets you use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder and remote control for a digital camera, and one-touch sharing lets you transfer your photos and videos from your camera. Either way, by installing PlayMemories Mobile app to your NFC-enabled Android smartphone or tablet, you can avoid complex set-up sequences and establish wireless connection simply by touching your device to the camera. You are now ready to control your camera from your smartphone to take a photo from a previously out-of-reach spot, or simply be in your own group shot, as well as transfer them instantly to your smartphone for sharing on SNS. No NFC? No problem. You can also pair the devices manually.
Find compatible devices
Picture of 7 E-mount Camera with Full Frame Sensor
Capture One Express (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is one of the world's best RAW Converters, rendering precise colors and incredible detail. It contains flexible digital asset management, all the essential adjustment tools and fast, responsive performance in one customizable and integrated solution. * Please contact Phase One regarding all inquiries as to usage and support including functional compatibility of Capture One Express (for Sony).
Free Download (Go to Phase One Website)
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.