OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/4 PRO Lens
The OM System Digital ED 40-150mm f/4 PRO Lens is the world's most compact and lightweight fixed aperture 80-300mm full frame equivalent telephoto zoom, with IP53 weather resistance and superb results throughout.
- World’s most compact and lightweight fixed aperture telephoto zoom lens with an 80-300mm full frame equivalent
- Comprehensive weather sealing provides outdoor photographers with a robust, reliable lens for any situation
- Excellent image results from an advanced optical formula which renders high resolution detail and strong contrast
- Well suppressed ghosting and flare even with backlit subjects thanks to ZERO lens coating
- Shoot macro and close-up subjects with a minimum focusing distance of 70cm across the entire range
OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/4 PRO Lens Summary
OM System is breaking all the rules with the release of this M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/4 PRO Lens. It accompanies the launch of the new flagship OM System Olympus OM-1 camera, together with the Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO II Lens, with which it shares several class-leading attributes.
With an equivalent focal range of 80-300mm in full frame terms, the Digital ED 40-150mm f/4 PRO is the lightest and most compact telephoto on the market at launch, in part due to its retracting mechanism. Despite the broad zoom range, it weighs just 382g and measures a physics-defying 68.9 x 99.4mm, with a compact 62mm lens filter thread size.
The lens is capable of rendering superb results throughout the range, thanks to an optical design of 15 elements in 9 groups. This design renders high resolution detail, with thoroughly suppressed chromatic aberration and excellent contrast from the ZERO coating which has been used. OM System also included extensive weather sealing, to achieve IP53 performance when mounted on the OM-1 body.
With this type of zoom range and close 0.2m minimum focusing distance, users will be able to capture subjects as diverse as portraits and lifestyle shots, to action, wildlife and sports.
- Compact telephoto zoom lens with 80-300mm full frame equivalent
- Superb rendering from 15 elements in 9 groups with 6 special lens elements
- IP53 weather resistance when paired with a weather resistant body
- High speed imager AF (MSC) system
- Bright, constant f/4 aperture with 7-bladed circular diaphragm
- Close 0.7m minimum focusing distance across the entire zoom with 0.41x magnification at tele
- Cost effective 62mm filter thread
OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/4 PRO Lens in More Detail
Excellent resolution across the entire zoom range
The 40-150mm f/4 PRO lens from OM System uses the same fundamental structure as the M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F2.8 PRO, which is well known for its high resolution, and incorporates an optical design with 15 elements in 9 groups (2 ED lenses, 1 Super ED lens, 1 HR lens and 2 aspherical lens).
An effective layout of special lenses helps to thoroughly suppress chromatic aberration, which tends to occur on telephoto lenses, and delivers high-resolution imaging from the maximum aperture value across the entire zoom range and frame while maintaining a compact and lightweight form. The lens also features ZERO (Zuiko Extra-low Reflection Optical) coating, thoroughly eliminating ghosts and flares for clear performance even in difficult conditions such as backlit scenes. This high-performance lens fully utilises the high image quality performance of the camera body even with High Res Shot mode.
© Michaela Skovranova
The world’s most compact, lightweight model
This lens delivers unrivalled portability and an inner zoom system improves usability. A retracting mechanism makes this the world’s most compact, lightweight model with a fixed f/2.8 aperture, and 300mm equivalent (full frame) telephoto zoom lens. It measures approximately 99.4 mm long (124 mm long when in use) and weighs approximately 382 g, making it amazingly compact and lightweight.
The lens was designed with a focus on ease of use when shooting to which end it is equipped with a mechanism that makes it possible to retract and store the lens simply by turning the zoom ring. It also employs an inner zoom system which keeps the lens length the same across the entire focal range, suppressing centre of gravity changes while zooming in or out.
Using compact, lightweight lenses in the front drastically reduces any feeling of heaviness, eliminating the long lens barrel and weight at the front of the lens, which is common to telephoto lenses, making shooting easier and better-balanced.
© Michaela Skovranova
Close focusing and macro capabilities
With a maximum image magnification of 0.41x2 and close focusing distance of 70 cm (at all focal lengths) users can enjoy excellent macro capabilities with the OM System 40-150mm f/4 PRO.
At the telephoto end, close-up shooting is possible up to a maximum image magnification of 0.41x.
Despite being a telephoto zoom, this lens also possesses superior close-up shooting performance for a wide range of applications. Focus Stacking is also supported, which captures multiple shots at different focal positions, and then automatically composites the shot. When paired with a compatible camera, this mode lets you take macro photos that are completely in focus from the front to the back.
What’s in the box
- OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/4 PRO Lens
- Lens Cap (LC-62G)
- lens Rear Cap
- lens Hood (LH-66E)
- Wrapping Cloth
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty Card
- Hoya 62mm Ultra Pro Circular Polariser – Cut back glare and reflections from wet surfaces when shooting outdoor landscapes and other subjects
- Hoya 62mm UX II UV Filter – protect the expensive front lens element from accidental damage as well as compensating for ultraviolet light
- B+W Master Clear Filter MRC Nano 62mm – pure front lens protection with zero filtration
- 3 Legged Thing Trent 2.0 Monopod Blue With Docz2 Foot Stabiliser – A lightweight monopod perfect for run and gun shooting anywhere
- Benro Rhino Carbon Fibre Three Series Travel Tripod with VX30 Head – If you prefer three legs this compact CF model is hard to beat
OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/4 PRO Lens Specifications
|35mm Equivalent Focal Length||80-300m|
|Lens Construction||15 elements in 9 groups|
|(2 ED lens, 1 super ED lens, 1 HR lens, 2 aspherical lens)|
|Splashproof Type / Dustproof||IEC Standard publication 60529 IP53 (applies when the lens is used with OM SYSTEM (OLYMPUS) splashproof body) / Dustproof construction|
|Focusing System||High-speed imager AF (MSC)|
|Angle of View||30-8.2 degree|
|Closest Focusing Distance||0.70m|
|Maximum Image Magnification||Wide:0.07x / Tele: 0.21x|
|35mm Equivalent Max. Image Magnification||Wide:0.13x / Tele: 0.41x|
|Minimum Field Size||Wide：256.7 × 192.9 mm / Tele：83.5 x 62.7 mm|
|Number of Blades||7 (circular aperture diaphragm)|
|Filter Size||Diameter 62mm|
|Dimensions||Diameter 68.9 × 99.4 mm|
|Weight||382g (without lens cap, lens rear cap and lens hood)|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 69|
|Length (mm): 99|
|Weight (g): 382|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 40 - 150 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: Yes|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 150|
|Maximum magnification: 0.21|
|Maximum aperture (number): 4|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 40|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.7|
|Minimum aperture (number): 4.00|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 7|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: 2 ED lens, 1 super ED lens, 1 HR lens, 2 aspherical lens|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
With comprehensive weather resistance and -10ºC operation, coupled with industry leading lightweight properties, this lens is testament to OM System’s commitment to developing exceptional MFT lenses. As a telephoto zoom with a bright constant aperture users can expect excellent low light performance, aided by a new arrangement of glass elements inside the barrel. This also makes the OM System Digital ED 40-150mm f/4 PRO a pleasure to use, being well balanced and easy to move around quickly. This will prove particularly beneficial for those who shoot fast moving subjects, including sports and wildlife, for which it is intended.
Results are extremely good, drawing on several special lens elements to reduce aberrations and control sharpness and rich detail. OM System also added a fluorine coating for easy cleaning and maintenance as well as their ZERO coating to combat flare and ghosting with backlit subjects.
The versatility of this telephoto zoom is enhanced by a short minimum focus distance which remains a constant 70cm throughout the entire zoom range. This delivers excellent tele-macro capabilities with a magnification of 0.41x at the long end.
If you are considering the new flagship OM -1 camera there’s no doubt this lens can keep up with the high resolution capabilities and will also excel with the focus stacking feature. If you shoot any of the subjects for which this lens is intended, it’s impossible to beat and will surpass your expectations.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.