OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO II Lens
The mark 2 OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO II Lens is a fast aperture standard zoom (24-80mｍ equivalent), with exceptional image quality, IP53 weather sealing, high-speed AF and weighs just 382g.
- Super lightweight standard zoom lens for MFT weighing just 382g which comes with a new optical design
- Advanced performance with exceptional rendering to keep pace with high resolution shots from the flagship OM-1
- Excellent weather resistance for harsh environments including reliable IP53 dust-proof and splash-proof sealing
- Comprehensive use of aspherical and other special lens elements for well controlled results throughout the range
- Fluorine coating and ZERO coating reduce effects of glare and ghosting as well as protecting the front element
OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO II Lens Summary
To coincide with the launch of the flagship OM-1 Camera Body is this compact OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO II Lens for micro four thirds. It offers a versatile standard zoom range with fixed aperture, equivalent to 24-80mｍ in full frame, adding an extra 10mm onto the classic 24-70mm range.
The lens boasts robust build quality with class-leading IP53 weather resistance when combined with the OM-1, together with being freeze-proof down to -10°C. Image quality is exceptional thanks to a new optical formula, which includes no less than 9 special glass elements in a mix of 14 elements arranged in 9 groups.
The 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO mark 2 has been refined to render high resolution results required by 80 megapixel images which the flagship MFT camera is capable of. Results are superb, with the lens perfectly suited to a huge variety of subjects from landscape photography to portraits, video, architecture and as a general purpose optic.
- Compact, lightweight and versatile MFT zoom (24-80mｍ equivalent in full frame format)
- Exceptional image quality from 14 elements in 9 groups with 9 special lens elements
- IP53 weather resistance when paired with a weather resistant body
- High speed imager AF (MSC) system
- Bright, constant f/2.8 aperture with 7-bladed circular diaphragm
- Fluorine and ZERO coatings
- Cost effective 62mm filter thread
- Close 0.2m minimum focusing distance
OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO II Lens in More Detail
Stress-Free Shooting With Reliable Performance
Advanced IP53 dust-proof and splash-proof sealing, together with freeze-proof performance down to -10°C ensure the OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO II Lens far exceeds conventional IPX1 ratings.
The lens will also function in low-temperature environments down to -10°C, making it possible to continue shooting in punishing environments such as rain, snow and even dusty terrain with complete peace of mind.
OM-1. Camera settings 1/250 sec. f/2.8. ISO 640 at 40mm
In addition to water, oil, and dust repellent performance, a fluorine coating on the front lens element is effective in reducing friction. Both this and the Digital ED 40-150mm f/4 PRO which was launched at the same time, can easily be cleaned with a dust blower or lens cleaning cloth when it gets dirty, allowing users to continue shooting immediately.
Exceptional Image Quality
An optical design includes 14 elements in 9 groups for excellent resolution across the entire zoom range from wide to tele. This MFT lens employs an optical design with 14 elements in 9 groups (1 EDA lens, 2 aspherical lens, 1 DSA lens, 2 ED lens, 1 HD lens, 2 HR lens). There are 4 aspherical lenses including a DSA element placed to achieve a compact, lightweight form and superior imaging performances expected from PRO lenses.
The special elements compensate for aberrations that occur when zooming, resulting in high resolution from the centre of the frame right to the edges and across the entire zoom range. This high-performance standard zoom fully utilises the high image quality performance of the camera body when using High Res Shot mode.
OM-1. Camera settings 1.3 sec. f/8. ISO 200 at 17mm
Clearer, sharper imaging than ever before
The latest manufacturing techniques suppress surface scattering on aspherical lenses, significantly reducing flaring when compared to conventional optics, which results in clearer imaging performance. ZERO coating (Zuiko Extra-low Reflection Optical), improves resistance to backlighting with subjects lit from behind.
What’s in the box
- OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO II Lens
- Lens Cap (LC-62G)
- Lens Rear Cap
- Lens Hood (LH-66D)
- Wrapping Cloth
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty Card
- Tiffen 62mm variable ND filter – this VND is perfect for adjusting the amount of light entering the lens for video and long exposures
- Hoya 62mm Ultra Pro Circular Polariser – Cut back glare and reflections from wet surfaces when shooting outdoor landscapes and other subjects
- Hoya 62mm UX II UV Filter – protect the expensive front lens element from accidental damage as well as compensating for ultraviolet light
- B+W Master Clear Filter MRC Nano 62mm – pure front lens protection with zero filtration
OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO II Lens Specifications
|35mm Equivalent Focal Length||24-80mｍ|
|Lens Construction||14 elements in 9 groups|
|(1 EDA lens, 2 aspherical lens, 1 DSA lens, 2 ED lens, 1 HD lens, 2 HR lens)|
|Splashproof Type / Dustproof||IEC Standard publication 60529 IP53 (applies when the lens is used with OM SYSTEM (OLYMPUS) splashproof body) / Dustproof construction|
|Focusing System||High-speed imager AF (MSC)|
|Angle of View||84-30 degree|
|Closest Focusing Distance||0.2m|
|Maximum Image Magnification||Wide:0.11x / Tele: 0.3x|
|35mm Equivalent Max. Image Magnification||Wide:0.21x / Tele: 0.6x|
|Minimum Field Size||Wide：161.7×121.5mm／Tele：58 x 44 mm|
|Number of Blades||7 (circular aperture diaphragm)|
|Filter Size||Diameter 62mm|
|Dimensions||Diameter 69.9 × 84 mm|
|Weight||382g (without lens cap, lens rear cap and lens hood)|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 70|
|Length (mm): 84|
|Weight (g): 382|
|Distance scale: Yes|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 12 - 40 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: Yes|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 40|
|Maximum magnification: 0.3|
|Maximum aperture (number): 2.8|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 12|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.2|
|Minimum aperture (number): 22|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 7|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: 1 aspherical element, 1 dual-sided aspherical element, 2 ED glass elements, 2 HR glass elements, 1 EDA glass element, 1 HD glass element|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
OM System saw fit to give us two re-developed lenses to accompany the release of their flagship camera, with this M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm F2.8 PRO II being the new benchmark standard zoom for micro four thirds. It includes comprehensive weather resistance matching IP53 performance when mounted on the OM-1, for the most reliable weather sealing to date. This enables landscape photographers as well as anyone shooting other outdoor subjects to continue regardless of conditions, come rain, snow, sand, or all three at once if you go to Iceland.
Results are superb across the entire zoom range thanks to the inclusion of numerous special glass elements arranged in a new formula. These render excellent details, clarity and high contrast even with backlit subjects due to the ZERO lens coating.
With the new camera capable of 80 megapixel blended high res shots, this lens had to produce extremely sharp results, which it does from the centre to the edges of the frame. The circular diaphragm and bright f/2.8 constant aperture combine to provide excellent low light performance, as well as the ability to render pleasing out of focus backgrounds. This proves useful when shooting portraits or any subject which needs to stand out, again with excellent results.
All of these features combine to create the most compelling standard zoom lens standing out amongst a comprehensive set of options in the range. This is no doubt why it’s available in the OM-1 Camera and 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO II Lens Kit and should be on anyone's radar as their go-to standard zoom.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.