Nikon Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S Super Telephoto Prime Lens With Built in 1.4x Extender
The Nikon Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S Lens super telephoto prime with built-in 1.4x extender, 5.5-stop VR and blistering AF performance for full frame mirrorless cameras boasts pro control and resolving power.
You can still order today and take advantage of the price/offer, we will only charge upon despatch.
Park Points not available on this purchase.
Finance available See options
Trade in & Trade up
Looking to trade in your photo equipment? Get a quote now!
- Premium super telephoto prime lens with extended reach from an integrated switch-controlled teleconverter
- Lightning quick subject acquisition and relentless tracking with internal VCM focusing system
- 9-bladed aperture renders smooth out of focus areas and beautiful rounded bokeh
- 5.5-stop vibration reduction, bright f/2.8 aperture and lightweight design excel for low light shooting
- Professional control with four Fn buttons, memory set, new function ring, control ring and focus ring
Nikon Nikkor Z 400mm F/2.8 TC VR S Super Telephoto Prime Lens with Built In 1.4x Extender Summary
Having been announced back in October 2021, the Nikon Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S Lens super telephoto prime lens with built-in 1.4 Teleconverter is now out in the wild. The lens is designed for professional full frame FX Nikon mirrorless camera users shooting sports, wildlife and action. It delivers across all fronts with a bright f/2.8 aperture, blistering AF and tracking performance and the ability to reach 560mm at the flick of a switch without loss of image quality.
You gain a 5.5-stop advantage with vibration reduction technology (VR), while the 9-bladed aperture renders smooth out of focus areas and beautifully rounded bokeh. The high speed internal focusing system harnesses VCM technology with an optical ABS encoder for relentless tracking associated with the pinnacle of technology found in S-Line lenses from Nikon's mirrorless Z lens range.
- Premium S-Line optics for Z mount to capture stills and video
- Lightweight and compact prime with integral TC weighing approximately 2950g
- Reach 560mm with the built-in 1.4x teleconverter at f/4 aperture
- Shoot in DX crop mode with cameras like the Z9 for 840mm also at f/4 (approx. 24MP images)
- Vibration reduction (VR) with 5.5-stop advantage using lens-shift VCM motors
- Incredible AF performance with new internal VCM focusing system and ABS encoder
- 9-bladed aperture for smooth out of focus areas and beautiful rounded bokeh
- Extremely high resolving power from 2 LD elements, 2 Fluorine, 1 Super LD and 1 SR element
- Easily reached TC activation switch without moving to change shooting posture
- User-control with x4 L-Fn buttons, memory set, new function ring, control ring, focus limiter and focus ring
- Multi-coated including the first Z lens to feature Nikon’s Meso Amorphous anti-reflective for ghosting and flare control
- Integrated drop-in filter slot
- Kensington security slot
Nikon Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S Super Telephoto Lens in More Detail
Built-in 1.4x Teleconverter
The Nikon Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S follows on from high-end super telephoto lenses developed for Nikon DSLR cameras, with a built-in 1.4x teleconverter (extender). TC functionality is controlled via a dedicated switch located on the lens barrel immediately to the right of your hand. This enables you to flick the switch, immediately reaching a focal length of up to 560mm at a maximum f/4 aperture, with no loss of image quality. The switch provides seamless operation as it can be reached without changing shooting position or moving your eye away from the viewfinder.
What’s more, on a camera with DX crop-mode the lens will reach up to 840mm while remaining at an f/4 aperture. This delivers unparalleled super telephoto reach with images of around 24 megapixels when mounted on the Z9 for example.
Powerful Image Quality
Gain phenomenal resolving power with incredibly sharp details when shooting photos and videos with the Z 400mm. An elaborate optical design features 25 lens elements in total (including the teleconverter) with several special glass elements to deliver outstanding results. Nikon has included 2 LD elements, 2 Fluorine, 1 Super LD and 1 SR element to counter chromatic aberrations, while rendering superb clarity, contrast and colour.
High Performance Lens Coatings
Three separate coatings have been applied to the lens, including Nikon’s high performance anti-reflective Meso Amorphous Coat. This new coating employs particles smaller than nano particles to confer remarkable control over ghosting and flare: clarity is pitch-perfect, even if shooting scenes with multiple direct light sources in the frame. This delivers high levels of clarity by combating ghosting and flare with the reduction of incidental light, which is combined with an ARNEO Coat which is used for the same purposes. The front lens element is protected from oil, dust and dirt with the high quality Fluorine coating associated with professional optics from Nikon.
Unwavering Autofocus Capabilities
Subject acquisition and tracking is handled quickly and quietly by an internal VCM (Voice Coil Motor) focusing system with optical ABS encoder for absolute speed and accuracy with minimal movement. This system delivers incredibly fast focusing and tracking capabilities, which harness Nikon’s latest highly successful Phase Detect AF algorithms.
The VCMs also provide lens shift technology for vibration reduction, delivering 5.5-stops of stability when handholding the lens.
Professional Control With Full Customisation
Users who streamline their shooting workflow will find the Nikon Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens eminently customisable, with Nikon’s typical attention to ergonomic detail. The barrel includes four programmable L-Fn buttons and there is a new knurled Function ring with torque, which features a convenient bi-directional auto-return mechanism. Next along the barrel we have a control ring, manual focus ring, memory set and the teleconverter activation switch with lock. A focus limiter switch allows the user to adjust the minimum 2.5 metre focus distance to 6m for quicker response with more distant subjects.
Tough And Well Balanced
Nikon has weighted the lens towards the rear for more stable operation. This puts the bulk of weight nearer the user to reduce strain and helps maintain posture when handholding. Comprehensive weather sealing has also been added around all moving parts, which helps to keep dust and moisture at bay. This ensures outdoor photographers can continue shooting whatever the weather holds in store for them.
A removable tripod foot provides excellent balance when mounted onto a tripod or monopod, and a Kensington security slot acts as a deterrent to keep the lens safe from theft. For tricky shooting situations an integrated filter slot accepts drop-in filters.
What’s in the box
- Nikon Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S Lens for Z Mount
- LC-K105 Slip-on front lens cap
- HK-42 Lens Hood
- LF-N1 Rear cap
- CL-L3 Lens case
- LN-3 Strap
- Lowepro Lens Trekker 600 AW III – With the compact nature of the lens you’ll have room spare to pack extras
- 3 Legged Thing Trent 2.0 Monopod Grey with Docz2 Foot Stabiliser – released at the same time the 3LT monopod reaches over 2m and offers excellent smooth panning
Nikon Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S Super Telephoto Lens Sample photos
Nikon Nikkor Z 400mm F/2.8 TC VR S Super Telephoto Prime Lens With Built In 1.4x Extender Specifications
|Lens mount||Nikon Z mount|
|Without built-in teleconverter||400 mm|
|With built-in teleconverter||560 mm|
|Without built-in teleconverter||f/2.8|
|With built-in teleconverter||f/4|
|Lens construction||25 elements in 19 groups (2 ED glass, 1 super ED glass, 2 fluorite lens and 1 SR lens elements, elements with Meso Amorphous Coat or ARNEO Coat, and a fluorine-coated front lens element)|
|Angle of view (FX format)|
|Without built-in teleconverter||6°10′|
|With built-in teleconverter||6°10′|
|Angle of view (DX format)|
|Without built-in teleconverter||4°|
|With built-in teleconverter||2°50′|
|Focusing||IF (Internal focusing), manual focusing possible|
|VR system (lens-shift VR with voice coil motor)|
|VR||Yes (effect: 5.5 stops|
|VR when tripod in use||On tripod/monopod: NORMAL or SPORT is recommended|
|Diaphragm blades||9 (round diaphragm opening)|
|Aperture system||Automatic aperture with electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism|
|Without built-in teleconverter||f/2.8-22|
|With built-in teleconverter||f/4-32|
|Minimum focus distance - Without built-in teleconverter||2.5 m from the image sensor (at 400 mm)|
|Maximum reproduction ratio - Without built-in teleconverter||x0.17 (at 400 mm)|
|Weight||Approx. 2950 g (based on CIPA Guidelines)|
|Maximum diameter x length (distance to end of lens from camera lens mount flange)||Approx. 156 × 380 mm (based on CIPA Guidelines)|
|Filter-attachment size||46 mm (slip in)|
|AF-dive motor||Silky Swift VCM|
|Nano Crystal Coat||No|
|Meso Amorphous Coat||Yes NEW|
|Focus-mode switch||Yes (A/M)|
|Focus limit switch||2 positions: FULL (∞ - 2.5 m) and ∞-6.0 m|
|Front lens cap||LC-K105 Slip-On Front Lens Cap (supplied) NEW|
|Rear lens cap||LF-N1 Lens Cap (supplied)|
|Lens hood||HK-42 Lens Hood (Supplied) NEW|
|Lens case||CL-L3 Lens Case (supplied) NEW|
|Filter||C-PL460 Slip-in Circular Polarizing Filter (optional) NEW|
|Support for external teleconverters||Supports Z TELECONVERTER TC-1.4x、 Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0x|
|Compatible accessories||• Slip-in filter holder (supplied and dedicated*) • 46-mm Screw-on filter (To be attached to a supplied slip-in filter holder) • LN-3 Strap (Supplied)|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 156|
|Length (mm): 380|
|Weight (g): 2950|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: Yes|
|Focal length: 400 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: Yes|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 400|
|Maximum magnification: 0.23|
|Maximum aperture (number): 2.8|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 400|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 2.5|
|Minimum aperture (number): 32|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 9|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: 2 Fluorite elements, 2 ED glass, 1 Super ED, 1 SR (Short wavelength refractive)|
|Tripod collar: Yes|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Looking to sell your Nikon Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S Super Telephoto Prime Lens With Built in 1.4x Extender?
Professional Nikon mirrorless photographers who shoot sports, action and wildlife are being rewarded for their patience with the release of the Z9 camera body and now this super telephoto Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S prime lens. The lens packs a punch with superb optics capable of rendering high resolution images and sharp videos. The optical design is even more complex than professional S-Line lenses for the Z mount due to the integrated 1.4x teleconverter, a nod from Nikon towards traditional DSLR roots. It makes complete sense for many photographers to have a simple switch-activated TC built into a lens of this type. It provides the extra reach with typical 1-stop aperture reduction and no loss of quality, without the hassle and potential pitfalls of adding a separate teleconverter, often at short notice.
Autofocus and tracking is tenacious thanks to Nikon’s VCM focusing technology, with real world tests showing incredibly accurate results. Anyone shooting at these long focal lengths will appreciate the relatively lightweight nature of the lens, which also remains manageably compact, at home on a monopod or when used handheld. Those shooting handheld do gain excellent low light capabilities with 5.5-stop vibration reduction as well as a bright maximum aperture of f/2.8 and f/4 with/without TC respectively. Proprietary coatings ensure the highest level of results even in difficult lighting conditions, with Meso Amorphous and ARNEO coats combating flare and ghosting. Topping off a list of premium features are four programmable buttons, a new user friendly torqued Function ring and plenty of other barrel controls, catering for the most demanding users. If you’re looking at this lens it’s because you need the most capable super telephoto in your kit bag to nail every shot.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.