Canon RF 85mm f/2 IS Macro USM Prime Lens
The Canon RF 85mm f/2 prime macro lens combines the compact versatility of close-up and telephoto photography yet weighs just 500g. and features 5 stop stabilisation, a bright aperture and fast AF.
- Ultra lightweight and compact short telephoto lens for easy travel portability
- Versatile combination of short telephoto and close-up macro capabilities with creative results
- Excellent built-in image stabilisation provides 5EV stops of handheld advantage
- A bright aperture with nine blades for smooth out of focus areas and sharp subject separation
- Fast, quiet autofocus which works seamlessly with Canon’s advanced AF detect features
Canon RF 85mm f/2 IS Macro USM Lens Summary
The prime RF 85mm f/2 IS Macro USM joins the growing number of full-frame Canon mirrorless RF lenses now available for the popular system. Despite weighing just 500g. this compact model is capable of delivering stunning portraits together with beautiful macro images at 1:2 magnification. The lens achieves excellent results for enthusiast photographers, particularly for short telephoto portraits with the classic 85mm focal width. This model also is capable of employing Canon’s powerful Face tracking AF functionality when mounted on EOS R mirrorless cameras such as the EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 . This will broaden the appeal even further for wedding and fashion photographers who require an adept and lightweight portable lens.
The bright aperture and 5 stops of image stabilisation ensure sharp handheld images even when light levels dip, allowing compact mirrorless photographers to capture beautiful sharp results with soft out of focus areas. The inclusion of 9 aperture blades contributes to this defocus effect delivering excellent subject isolation together with the thin focal plane afforded by the f/2 aperture. Detail shots are made possible with a close focus distance of just 35cm resulting in compelling close-up macro images. Quality is ensured by 12 optical elements arranged in 11 groups adding to the list of benefits delivered by the affordable RF 85mm f/2 lens.
The perfect mirrorless lens for portraits
With a classic 85mm focal length this is an ideal lens for flattering portraits producing elegant results with beautiful bokeh backgrounds due to a fast f/2 aperture.
Excellent results every time through clever technology
The RF mount gives you incredible performance with stunning levels of detail in your images plus a built-in DLO profile for in-camera lens optimisation.
Close-up Macro capabilities
Focus as close as 35cm with 1:2 ratio 0.5x macro and discover fine details, capturing images with superb edge-to-edge sharpness thanks to a high f/29 minimum aperture. Perfect for wedding photographers as well as for classic macro subjects such as flowers and insects.
Quick, slick and quiet focus motor
The STM motor allows smooth, quiet AF while a Lens Control Ring gives even more control over settings. Create smooth out of focus areas thanks to the nine-bladed aperture.
Portable and lightweight
Weighing just 500g, the RF 85MM F2 MACRO IS STM lens is unobtrusive and compact, plus with dimensions of just 78x90.5mm, it’s easy to take with you for extra creative opportunities.
Perfect Partner for The Latest High resolution Cameras
This mirrorless lens fits perfectly onto the latest EOS R cameras including the R5 and R6 models.
Canon RF 85mm IS Macro Lens in more detail:
Image size: Full Frame
Angle of view: (horizontal, vertical, diagonal): 24º, 16º, 28º 30'
Lens construction: 12/11
No. of diaphragm blades: 9
Minimum aperture: 29
Closest focussing distance (m): 0.35m
Maximum magnification (x): 0.5
Distance Information: Yes
Image stabiliser: 5 stops
AF actuator: STM
Telephoto Prime Lens
Up to 5 Stops
Canon EOS R Mirrorless
78mm x 90.5mm
What else is included in the box?
- Lens Cap E-67 II
- Lens case/pouch LP-1216
|Offer Category: Camera Lenses|
|Offer Product Type: Canon Mirrorless Lenses|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 78|
|Length (mm): 91|
|Weight (g): 19595|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 85 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 85|
|Maximum magnification: 0.5|
|Maximum aperture (number): 2|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 85|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.35|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 9|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: One UD lens|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Canon enthusiasts who lust after a short telephoto prime lens for their mirrorless system now have the RF 85mm f/2 IS Macro USM as a viable option. Whilst other lenses in this focal width sport slightly faster apertures, the compact size, competitive price and macro capabilities of the f/2 are highly compelling. The addition of 1:2 macro along with a close focus distance of 35cm allow photographers to get more creative and shoot more diverse subjects, making this a particularly versatile lens. Portraits are of course where the majority of users will focus their attention and the compact size and 500g weight ensure this will accompany many photographers to their portrait sessions.
Low light situations inevitably arise when shooting in natural lighting and the Canon RF 85mm f/2 IS Macro once again delivers with its’ competent 5EV stops of image stabilisation. Combining the 5 stop IS with a bright aperture allows handheld shooting to continue with more sharp results. The inclusion of nine aperture blades adds to the appeal of images across many genres, where out of focus areas blend away from the sharp subject.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.