Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Ultra Wide Angle Prime Lens
The Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G is a compelling wide angle prime lens which features professional quality characteristics with an ultra wide focal width ideal for landscapes, architecture and more.
- Ultra-wide 20mm perspectives, superb resolution from F1.8
- Compact and lightweight for enhanced mobility and handling
- Smooth, natural-looking bokeh
- Realistically rendered point sources
- XD Linear Motors maximise AF speed, precision, and tracking
Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Ultra Wide angle Prime Lens summary
The compact design and versatility of the FE 20mm F1.8 G make it the perfect all-rounder for photographers and videographers. Weighing only 373g, its small size and light weight make it truly mobile when used with compact E-mount bodies as part of a well-balanced system that is ideal for use on gimbals or accessory grips.
- Super sharp in the center of the image at f/1.8
- Peak sharpness is at f/2.8
- The peak sharpness for the edges is at f/4.0
- Chromatic aberration is extremely low
- Near zero distortion (this is probably the best news)
- Moderate vignetting at f/1.8 which is gone at f/2.8
Adding to its extensive range of native full-frame E-mount lenses, Sony today announced the launch of a new G LensTM series, the FE 20mm F1.8 G (Model name SEL20F18G). Ensuring excellent G Lens resolution and bokeh, the FE 20mm F1.8 G is a compact, lightweight, ultra-wide prime – the widest full-frame prime lens in the E-mount line-up – which gives Sony's full-frame users more freedom to shoot stunning landscapes and starscapes as well as capturing impressive video.
The smart lens design features two AA (advanced aspherical) elements, three ED (extraa-low Dispersion) glass elements for the effective suppression of chromatic aberration and delivery of high corner-to-corner image quality even at the maximum aperture F1.8. It has excellent close-up performance with a minimum focus distance of 0.19 metres (max. magnification: 0.2 times) and delivers beautiful bokeh.
In addition, the use of two XD (extreme dynamic) Linear Motors delivers fast, precise and quiet auto focusing for both stills and video shooting.
Designed to be dust and moisture resistant[i] and having a fluorine front element coating, the FE 20mm F1.8 G is highly reliable and easy to operate. It offers a customisable focus hold button and an aperture ring with a click on/off switch. It is also compatible with a variety of 67mm filters for extraa creative control.
Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Ultra Wide angle Prime Lens in detail
Ultra-wide 20mm perspectives, superb resolution from F1.8
Two AA (advanced aspherical) elements in an innovative optical design minimise aberration for outstanding corner-to-corner resolution right from the lens's widest F1.8 aperture.
Compact and lightweight for enhanced mobility and handling
An advanced optical design that includes two AA elements is supported by a refined mechanical system in a G Lens that weighs just 373 grams (13.2 oz.). Small size and light weight enhance mobility when used with compact E-mount bodies, and make up a well-balanced system that is ideal for use on gimbals or accessory grips. The FE 20mm F1.8 G is a versatile lens for a wide variety of still and movie shooting situations.
Smooth, natural-looking bokeh
In addition to precise control of spherical aberration that has a significant influence on bokeh quality, the FE 20mm F1.8 G has a 9-blade circular aperture that contributes to smooth, creamy bokeh and natural-looking highlights that are hallmarks of the G Lens series.
Realistically rendered point sources
Two AA (advanced aspherical) elements and three ED (extraa-low Dispersion) glass elements are employed to minimise sagittal flare so that point light sources are reproduced accurately, without colour smearing.
XD Linear Motors maximise AF speed, precision, and tracking
Two XD (extreme Dynamic) Linear Motors easily keep up with the high-speed capabilities of today's most advanced camera bodies, taking advantage of their full autofocus speed, precision, and tracking potential to capture the most dynamic subjects. New control algorithms make it possible to drive the lens's large focus group smoothly and without delays for responsive, silent, low-vibration autofocus.
Excellent close-up performance, even for selfies
In addition to the fact that 20mm is a great focal length for selfies, this lens has a minimum focusing distance of just 0.19 meter (0.63 ft) when used in AF mode, and an even closer 0.18 meter (0.59 ft) minimum focusing distance when focused manually. It is an excellent choice for gimbal/grip mounting, whether shooting selfies or other subjects.
Smooth operation and high reliability in a compact lens
A focus hold button, focus mode switch, aperture ring, and other controls are designed and positioned for easy operation and a smooth workflow. Alternative functions that support the user's individual shooting needs can be assigned to the focus hold button via camera body menu settings. The front lens element is fluorine coated to repel water and grime, and the lens is dust and moisture resistant design1 provides the reliability needed for outdoor use in challenging conditions.
Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 sample images
20mm focal length
20mm focal length
20mm focal length
what else is included in the box?
- Hood (model): ALC-Sh262
- Lens front cap: ALC-F67S
- Lens rear cap: ALC-R1EM
- Soft case
Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Ultra Wide Angle Prime Lens Specifications
35mm full frame ultra wide angle prime lens
f/1.8 - f/22
14 elements in 12 groups
9 circular blades
Angle of view (35mm)
Minimum focus distance
0.19 m (AF), 0.18 m (MF)
|Offer Category: Camera Lenses|
|Offer Product Type: Sony Lenses E Mount|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: N/A|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): 19595|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: N/A|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: N/A|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): N/A|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: N/A|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.