Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens Nikon F
A Park pick, the Sigma 85mm Art lens in Nikon F fit resolves beautiful high resolution telephoto images, ideal for portraits with sharp well balanced detail, controlled aberrations & accurate colours.
- Great for portrait shots
- High resolution optics can handle even the high resolution sensor within the Nikon D810
Park Picks 2017 Highly Commended: Best Product of the Year
The 85mm lens is a mainstay for portrait photographers, with fast apertures enabling both great pictures in low-light and excellent bokeh opportunities (or as we like to call it, bokehtunity).
So Sigma lenses weren't attempting anything particularly new with this lens, however what they were offering was a high specced fast lens at a lower price than other manufacturers.
The fact that it is part of the Art range also meant that the optical quality would be of the highest calibre, and this is where the lens has held its own. It is quite astounding that a lens of this price has taken the crown of the sharpest lens ever tested by DXOmark - the foremost authority on this kind of thing.
It has beaten lenses of almost four times its price, and will surely be the next lens in the kitbag of the portrait photographer - and is at such a price point that hobbyists may well upgrade their current prime lens to this one.
Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens Nikon Fit Summary
- SIGMA 85mm f/1.4 Lens for Nikon DSLRs
- Part of the SIGMA Art family of lenses
- Capable of ultra high-resolutions for full-frame DSLRs with 50MP+ sensors
- 14 lens elements in 12 groups
- f/1.4 max aperture is ideal for low-light and bokeh-filled backgrounds
- Newly designed Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM)
- Rounded diaphragm with 9 aperture blades
- Filter Thread: 86mm
- A great choice for portraiture
Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens Nikon Fit Features in Detail
Portrait photographers demand the attractive bokeh effect that large-diameter lenses offer, as well as outstanding resolution. Fulfilling the exacting standards of the Art line, the SIGMA 85mm F1.4 DG HSM - Art delivers both of these elements at the highest level.
The bokeh effect is so precise, you can focus on the pupil of the subject's eye while blurring the eyelashes. Adding to the effect, the area in focus is extremely high-resolution while the bokeh area is very attractive in appearance.
The SIGMA 85mm F1.4 DG HSM - Art incorporates 14 lens elements in 12 groups, a
remarkable structure that helps the lens deliver ultra-high-resolution.
This lens is therefore an excellent match for full-frame DSLRs offering 50-megapixel or higher resolution.
A design that prioritizes optical performance without compromise.
Outstanding resolving power and minimized chromatic aberrations help
make this the ultimate lens for portraits.
To create a top-performing 85mm F1.4 lens, SIGMA leveraged its latest innovations in
design and materials.
The result is the ultimate lens for portraits. By taking chromatic aberrations to the absolute minimum, this lens offers performance that goes beyond, including incredibly sharp resolution and a beautiful bokeh effect.
Image quality perfect for ultra-high-megapixel digital camera s
Ultra-high-megapixel full-frame DSLRs offering 50-megapixel or higher resolution are now
available, and nothing will bring out the performance potential of these camera s better
than the fundamental performance of the lens.
The SIGMA 85mm F1.4 DG HSM - Art incorporates two elements made of SLD (Special Low Dispersion Glass) and one element with a high rate of anomalous partial dispersion and a high index of refraction.
These features help ensure a clear image throughout the plane. The optical system also minimizes sagittal coma flare for outstanding image quality without streakingeven at wide-open aperture.
SIGMA's fifth large-diameter F1.4 lens for full-frame sensors.
Among its new product lines, this is the fifth large-diameter F1.4 lens SIGMA has
introduced for camera s with full-frame sensors.
SIGMA is the only lens manufacturer that covers 20-85mm at F1.4 brightness in its lineup. This lens reflects on their experience with this specification and insistence on offering only the best.
The beautiful bokeh effect that only a large-diameter lens can offer
Elements made of SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass and an optimized power distribution
help minimize axial chromatic aberration.
In the areas in front of and behind the point of focus, the optical system produces an attractive and natural bokeh effect by producing a smooth gradation of focus and minimizing streaking.
An all-new lens that leverages SIGMA's latest design technologies.
Newly designed HSM for nimble AF control The newly designed Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) offers 1.3 times the torque of its predecessor.
Even at low speeds, it offers exceptionally stable performance, and the updated AF
algorithm helps ensure nimble autofocus performance.
In addition, full-time manual focus override allows the lens to be switched to manual focus simply by rotating the focus ring - even during continuous AF. The user can quickly find the perfect focus without needing to touch the focus mode switch.
Separate SIGMA USB DOCK makes customization and flexible adjustment
Applicable for the Mount Conversion Service that enables lenses to be
long term assets
Incorporating Rounded Diaphragm
Designed to minimize flare and ghosting
Brass made bayonet mount
Water and oil-repellent coating ensures a pleasant photography
Nikon electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism included
"Made in Japan" with the best craftsmanship
|Offer Category: Camera Lenses|
|Offer Product Type: Nikon Lenses F mount|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 95|
|Length (mm): 126|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Distance scale: Yes|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 85 mm|
|Focus method: Internal|
|Filter Thread: 86 mm|
|Full time manual: Yes|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: Nikon F (FX)|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 85|
|Maximum magnification: 0.12|
|Maximum aperture (number): 1.4|
|Maximum aperture (text): f/1.4|
|Max Format size: Full Frame|
|Minimum focal length: 85|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.85|
|Minimum aperture (number): 16|
|Minimum aperture (text): f/16|
|Motor type: Ultrasonic|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 9|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: Prime lens|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Joining the Art range of SIGMA lenses, this 85mm f/1.4 is perfect for those seeking to get the most from their portrait photography, with this being designed with exactly that in mind - namely the maximum aperture of f/1.4, the rounded diaphragm and the high quality low-dispersion optic.
The focal length of 85mm is a popular choice for potrait photographers as it allows you to get delightful head and shoulders shots with the background being blurred into a mere afterthought - and this is where the best assets of bokeh can be used to highlight your subject.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.