Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4 FE II Lens for Sony E
The 2nd generation Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4 FE II Lens for Sony E full-frame mirrorless cameras is smaller, lighter and faster with more reliable AF tracking, excellent images and video as well as beautiful bokeh.
- Second generation design with enhanced operation, improved reliability and better results across the board
- Excellent sharpness and high resolving power, particularly in the centre thanks to a high quality optical design
- Fast, precise and quiet AF with tenacious AF tracking which works seamlessly with Sony subject detection algorithms
- Sharp results even when shooting wide open together with a 9-bladed aperture for smooth and clean bokeh
- Excellent short telephoto prime lens for stills and video which is weather sealed for outdoor shooting
Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4 FE II Lens for Sony E Summary
Arriving to coincide with their 50th anniversary is the second generation Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4 FE II Lens for Sony E full-frame mirrorless Alpha cameras. This short telephoto prime lens has been updated inside and out with Samyang’s latest design language, improved optics and tenacious autofocus capabilities, resulting in a lens which is smaller, lighter and faster than the original.
It offers excellent sharpness with high resolution particularly in the centre of the image circle, which is apparent even when shooting wide open at f/1.4. The 9-bladed aperture renders pleasingly smooth and clean bokeh, with a wide maximum aperture perfect for separating your subject from the background.
The AF 85mm f/1.4 FE II is ideal for both stills and video thanks to featuring the latest STM AF technology found in Samyang lenses and the exterior includes a custom switch and focus hold button for improved operation. Samyang also weather sealed this lens in order for you to be able to shoot outdoors during wind, rain or snow.
- Robust and reliable second generation design with weather sealing
- Smaller, lighter and faster than the original lens
- Fast, precise and quiet AF with reliable AF tracking
- Excellent image performance even wide open at f/1.4 aperture
- Professional control with customisable buttons
- 9-bladed aperture for smooth and clean bokeh
- Compact 72mm filter thread
Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4 FE II Lens for Sony E in More Detail
Outstanding Centre Resolution
With 4 HR (High Refractive) and 1 ED (Extra-Low Dispersion) glass element included in the new optical design, the AF 85mm F1.4 FE II provides excellent contrast and resolution, with a centre resolution which is superior to many other telephoto lenses. Samyang's advanced coating technology also maintains excellent image sharpness even in low lighting conditions and delivers a clearer image with improved Colour Contribution Index (CCI).
Fast, Precise and Quiet Auto Focus Performance
Samyang’s Linear Stepping Motor (STM) provides the efficiency needed for fast, precise, quiet AF and tracking, capitalising on the advantages which Sony E-Mount cameras provide. Compared to the previous AF 85mm F1.4 FE, the latest generation AF 85mm F1.4 FE II lens is optimised for shooting stills as well as video, through the reduction of vibration and noise. Samyang's Linear STM satisfies both photographers and videographers who demand quieter and more accurate control from the lens focusing groups.
Beautiful Clean Bokeh
The AF 85mm F1.4 FE II is the only FE mount Sony lens that does not feature any aspherical glass, which often cause onion ring effects in the bokeh. Since the AF 85mm F1.4 FE II has no aspherical glass elements, it has clear and beautiful bokeh with rounded edges.
Enhanced Reliability with Professional Control
To improve your workflow Samyang has included customisable Focus Hold Button and Custom Switch in the AF 85mm F1.4 FE II.
Focus Hold Button
The focus hold button locks focusing distance, although it can also be assigned with other functions, including Eye AF in settings on the camera body.
The custom switch can be set for silent aperture adjustment by rotating the focus ring. Using the optional Samyang AF Lens Station For Sony, you can set up the mode to suit your own preference*.
(*More features will be added through firmware updates in the future)
0.85m Short Minimum Focal Distance
The minimum focus distance is just 85cm, making the lens perfect for portraits from close up headshots to full-body images, while isolating the subject from background with the wide f/1.4 maximum aperture.
Contemporary Design with Weather Sealing
The AF 85mm F1.4 FE II has been developed and enhanced with a micro-patterned rubber focus ring, which feels great to operate. Extensive weather-sealing in 7 areas protects the lens from light rain, snow and dust.
What’s in the box
- Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4 FE II Lens for Sony E mirrorless cameras
- AF 85mm FE II lens hood
- Font and rear caps
- Lens pouch
Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4 FE II Lens for Sony E Specifications
- Mount Type: Sony E mount full frame (FE)
- Optical design: 11 elements in 8 groups
- Closest Focusing Distance: 0.85m
- Filter Size: 72mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/1.4
- Minimum Aperture: f/16
- No. Diaphragm Blades: 9
- Weather Proof: Yes
- Measurements: 83.4mm x 99.5mm
- Weight: 509g
|Offers: Price Drop|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: N/A|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: N/A|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): N/A|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: N/A|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Samyang’s second generation lenses invariably arrive with significant improvements over the original, as was the case with the AF 35mm F/1.4 FE II Lens, which is also for Sony cameras. In this Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4 FE II the external design has been updated with Samyang’s latest design language, however it’s what’s inside, which is perhaps most exciting. The new optical formula has been developed to render high resolution with sharp details and beautifully smooth bokeh. These are the characteristics which an 85mm prime lens will ideally deliver and the second gen Samyang does that admirably.
The focusing motor (STM) is also quicker and quieter than the original, with improved tracking of subjects as they move around the frame. The quiet and smooth nature of the AF system lends itself to both stills and videography, with the AF 85mm f/1.4 FE II making a great choice for hybrid shooters. The lens has also been extensively weather sealed and includes customisable buttons to hold focus, switch to silent aperture changes and make other selections based on your shooting style. Topping off the reasons to add this short telephoto to your collection is a compact 72mm filter thread and robust hood which is included.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.