RICOH GR IIIx Compact Camera
The updated RICOH GR IIIx is a premium Compact Camera with 24.24MP and 40mm equivalent lens that gives you exceptional image quality in a slim take-anywhere design which includes a built-in ND filter.
- Compact, rugged and lightweight compact camera which you can bring anywhere to shoot
- Newly developed high quality standard width 40mm lens gives beautiful perspectives and close minimum focus
- High resolution APS-C format sensor with excellent detail and image quality combined with the new lens
- A new built-in ND filter as well as 3-axis stabilisation to excel when handholding even in low light
- Easy to use bright touchscreen LCD and faster hybrid AF system with Face and Eye detection
RICOH GR IIIx Compact Camera Summary
Building on the success of the previous model, Ricoh has updated their premium compact camera with the release of the RICOH GR IIIx. It has been redesigned and updated for street photographers and keen photo enthusiasts with an entirely new 40mm (equivalent) lens that gives you exceptional image quality with a natural, distortion-free focal width in a slim take-anywhere design. The APS-C format CMOS image sensor has the anti aliasing filter removed (AA filter) to render the best possible detail at approximately 24.24 effective megapixels and you can capture Full HD movies too.
The GR IIIx also has a built-in ND filter with 2-stops to slow motion and a 3-axis stabilisation system, which provides 4-stops of shake reduction. You also get new shooting formats (4:3, 16:9) and a new Hybrid AF system with Face / Eye detection.
- APS-C format CMOS sensor with 24.24 effective megapixels
- Built-in ND (Neutral Density) filter with 2 stops
- Newly developed GR ENGINE 6 imaging engine
- 14-bit RAW image recording
- Hybrid AF system with Face / Eye detection
- 3.0-inch Touch-screen rear LCD
- RICOH-original SR - 3-axis, 4-step shake reduction (4-stops)
- AA filter removed (anti-aliasing), with AA filter simulator to remove moiré
- Rigid magnesium alloy body
- Full HD movie recording
- Newly developed 26.1mm f/2.8 GR lens with 40mm equivalent (full frame format)
- Minimum focus as close as 12 centimetres
- 9-blade diaphragm
RICOH GR IIIx Compact Camera in More Detail
High-resolution GR lens
The heart of this premium compact camera lies in the newly developed 26.1mm f/2.8 GR lens, which provides a more natural field of view at 40mm equivalent in full frame format. This captures high definition scenes without the distortion associated with wide-angle lenses and enables you to shoot as close as 12cm to your subject for macro-shooting.
The optical design incorporates two aspherical optical elements to reduce distortion and keep chromatic aberration to a minimum, while effectively minimising flare and ghosting when shooting backlight subjects.
A built-in ND (Neutral Density) filter closes the aperture down by 2-stops to capture high-contrast, high-resolution images with a variety of scenes and subjects and under varying shooting conditions. The inclusion of a 9-bladed aperture creates natural bokeh (defocus) effects with smooth out of focus areas and pleasing shallow depth of field.
The updated camera includes a large APS-C format CMOS sensor with the anti-aliasing (AA) filter removed, and the newly developed GR ENGINE 6 imaging engine. This combination provides high resolution 24.24MP images at the best possible quality.
You can record images in 14-bit RAW for a wider dynamic range and enhanced editing options, and the accelerator unit has been designed to optimise image data providing ISO 102400 for super-high-sensitivity photography.
Hybrid AF system
For faster than ever focusing capabilities the RICOH GR IIIx includes a hybrid AF system combining a contrast-type AF mechanism superior in focusing precision with a phase-detection-type AF. Ricoh has added Face and Eye detection with excellent results that are selectable in the touch-screen LCD.
RICOH SR mechanism (shake reduction)
A 3-axis 4-stop mechanism is built-in to compensate for camera shake. This effective pitch, yaw and roll control shifts the image sensor and also helps keep horizons level using Auto Horizon Correction.
Compact, lightweight design
Despite packing in a host of new features and new lens, the GR IIIx is extremely compact and portable, weighing just 262g with battery and card and measuring 109.4 (W) x 61.9 (H) x 35.2(D)mm.
The compact size means you can take it anywhere but it still brings user-friendly features including a fast start-up time (0.8 sec.), control dials and easy to operate touchscreen. A robust exterior frame is made from highly rigid magnesium alloy for long term durability.
High-definition touchscreen LCD
The GR IIIx features a 3.0-inch high-definition LCD monitor with approximately 1,037,000 dots with intuitive operation to control AF frame shift, menu selection and image advance/magnification during playback. A protective cover made of reinforced glass effectively reduces reflections for improved visibility and there’s an outdoor setting to adjust monitor brightness.
Image Control function
You can take creative control directly in the camera with 11 basic Image Control modes including saturation, hue, key, contrast and graininess. These can also be assigned to a custom setting for quick workflows.
Advanced image editing
For those who run and gun and want to share their images immediately the RICOH GR IIIx includes in-camera RAW editing. The camera also provides such creative tools as a choice of aspect ratio (16:9 or 4:3) and image rotation in 0.1-degree steps to facilitate the image editing process.
Bluetooth and wireless LAN
Wireless LAN provides easy pairing with mobile devices to transfer images, display a Live-View image and control the camera remotely using Ricoh’s Image Sync application. You’ll also get GPS data embedded from the mobile and Auto resizing for quick image transfers.
- Full HD movie recording (1920 x 1080 pixels, 60 frame rate) in H-264 format
- New DOF Priority (Deep) to prioritise a closed aperture setting
- Colour Moire Correction function to reduce the effect of moiré during playback
- Interval Composite mode, effective in capturing landscapes with traces of the moon and stars
- Electronic Level to check the camera’s inclination
- GT-2 Tele Conversion Lens (optional)** to extend the focal length to approx. 75mm telephoto in the 35mm format, usable in combination with the camera’s auto detection and crop functions
- Compatibility with accessory flash units designed for use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras***
Ricoh has mastered their range of premium compact cameras with models like the GR III and Street Edition. This new GR IIIx iteration builds on the successes of predecessors with significant updates designed for even better results with an even more enjoyable shooting experience. The new lens if fast and provides a highly favoured 40mm equivalent focal width, which is extremely natural to the human eye. This results in distortion-free scenes and allows you to get incredibly close down to just 12cm for macro shots. The removal of the AA filter means that results are even sharper with crisp details from edge to edge across all 24 megapixels from the APS-C sized sensor.
There’s a new faster image processing engine and new hybrid AF system, which makes use of Face and Eye detection to capture human subjects more readily. Internal 3-axis stabilisation helps with reducing camera shake, while the wide ISO capabilities of 100 - 102400 and a built-in ND filter provide a huge range of shooting options from bright high contrast scenes to extremely low light situations. You can also customise your camera with an external viewfinder, conversion lenses and more. It’s the beautiful new lens combined with a compact size and weight with great ergonomics that are the icing on the cake, allowing you to bring this premium compact on all of your adventures.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order. Lenses are optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements and optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.